Author Topic: 1951 - 1952 A10 motor and Gearbox Wanted  (Read 939 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: 1951 - 1952 A10 motor and Gearbox Wanted
« Reply #15 on: 18.07. 2017 20:26 »
That IS true about the chain issue (Duplex chain vs single roller)  I always thought it was interesting well known BSA Goldstar guy over in the UK Phil Pearson builds Suzuki clutch kits but then retains the chain wheel for that single row chain. (must be a demand for it) but to me a Belt drive seems superior in every way.  I have an old article in my office in BIKE MECHANICS IIRC and it details HOW to convert an Asian clutch set up to BSA use.  It might be a Pearson job as well profiled in the magazine.  I am doing a major re-org and remodel in the house, & shop so soon I will scan that article and post it.
I have a pile of asian clutchs that came from a friends old parts stash and shop,, I think he was doing these conversions as well although he was more Norton focused.  I plan to examine them and see what they can be used for.

I know Dreer well (Modern Nortons) and the Norton nutters get their knickers in a twist/Panties in a wad, but I was roundly criticized for this but Nortons used a reject HD starter on the 1970s 850s, (They dont like to hear that) and moving forward, Dreer used a HD Sportster/Buell 5 speed in the modern Nortons. (And a few 6 speeds from Baker transmission) as well as suzuki clutch, Suzuki alternator and a few Toyota parts in the valve train.   The Starters on modern Nortons also are a HD/Buell part but its a well known common starter and ironically, Kubota/Yanmar tractors that use the 3cyl diesel (Virtually most compact and midsize tractors use this same powertrain including John Deere) has that same starter although with a different snout on the end.  You can virtually go to your lawn and garden store and purchase parts for your Norton there.  (Not that most Norton people will ever acknowledge or admit to this).

When I was challenged on this topic I offered proof. (Invoices, And design CAD files and blue prints as well as lists of vendors that Norton UK used for some time as well)  That topic did not sit well with a certain cranky moderator on a Norton forum.

Anyway,, I digress.. A interchange list would be super helpful.  Part numbers from the parts book associated with them is helpful but some parts ARE the same or will work but have different numbers so, I will happily contribute what I can. But that would be a great resource.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline manxman

• A's Good Friend
Re: 1951 - 1952 A10 motor and Gearbox Wanted
« Reply #16 on: 18.07. 2017 20:33 »
All of my experience is in 1958-1963 A10 swingarm bikes. Knowing what ironhead A10 later years parts will fit on and in semi unit cases would certainly be helpfull. Off course I would love to find a unmolested 1951 A10 motor but that may never happen......