Author Topic: Layshaft Repair  (Read 2594 times)

Offline hd_lonewolf

• Active
Layshaft Repair
« on: 12.06. 2009 18:18 »
I have an A10 STD transmission I plan to use on a bobber project.  After opening the box I discovered that both ends of the layshaft were worn and the bronze bushings were shot.  I'm thinking of replacing the bushings with needle bearings.  What is the best/least expensive way to repair this box?  If you have part numbers please let me know.

Thanks

Offline riflegreen

• Active
Re: Layshaft Repair
« Reply #1 on: 12.06. 2009 19:21 »
Hi Lonewolf ,

The best option in to get the L/shaft ground undersize and have new bushes made .

The needle roller shaft is a slightly different diameter at the ends to the standard shaft plus you would need to have the main case machined to allow for the shim between the shaft & the roller bearing .

Other way is a new layshaft and new bushes .

Chris

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.06. 2009 05:03 »
G'day, Lonewolf,
                        I have in the past had the layshaft journals ground, hard chromed and ground to original size.
You can then use standard bushes.
I had a some done a few years ago and they are in service and working fine.
Trev.

Offline cosmikdebriis

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 24.04. 2012 13:29 »
I have a similar problem but was considering getting the end of the shaft ground down to 14mm then machine out the original bush to 22mm leaving a couple of mm in the bush to accept a 14X22 needle roller. The roller will run directly on the shaft but presumably that's already hardened. I will be able to use the original flange on the bush to stop end float of the shaft (though I may add a thrust washer).

Anybody done this, or have an opinion?

I can machine the bush myself so the only things I will have to pay for are the grinding of the shaft and the needle roller(s) (£2.50 ea). Which must be cheaper and better than making a new bush ????

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.04. 2012 21:18 »
Hi Cosmic,
The layshafts  are soft enough to turn with a carbide/ceramic tool
I dont know off the top of my head how much will be removed if you reduce to 14mm
But I rekon that you will have gone through the hardening reducing the shaft by more than 1mm

BSA also used "full compliment " roller bearings for their gearbox bearings (Triumph too!!)
I wonder if you can buy these for £2.50??

Normally I turn the shafts until they are clean -10/15 thou and make bushes to suit
It'l be someone elses problem in another 60 years  ;)

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.04. 2012 23:33 »
I have same issue but am getting undersize bushes made

I did not ask for a quote but considered buying a new shaft from this company as ot might have been cheaper than getting the machining done, anyone got a price from them for a layshaft?

RandN engineering beckley hill 01474 823771

They have an ad in the VMCC uk monthly mag for gold star gearbox parts

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline cosmikdebriis

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 24.04. 2012 23:38 »
Cheers John. Funny how we keep meeting on different forums  *smile*

Anyway, I must admit to having got my dimensions wrong, perhaps getting confused with the GTP project. I think it's a 16mm ID bearing I need rather than 14mm.

Anyway, I need to loose about a mm on the shaft to clean it up so I've given it to my engineering guy with the instructions to clean it up and finish it to a suitable bearing, metric or imperial, whichever gives me the largest diameter.

I'll then make something up to fit the case. Looks like I may need to take the case out very slightly but hopefully not much.

I really should make up some sort of rotating grinding wheel attachment for the cross slide. Shouldn't be too difficult.