Author Topic: BSA A7 spares  (Read 704 times)

Offline Bobsbikes

• Active
BSA A7 spares
« on: 19.07. 2017 16:45 »
Hi folks
I just bought a 1960 A7 that needs a lot of help! I would like to do a full restoration and I see many companies selling parts but would really like to know who sells properly made parts!
I ask this because I have an old Matchless and some of the supplier's don't sell very good quality spares.
Any opinions/ advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robert.
Ps never used a forum before so apologies if I have got anything wrong!

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA A7 spares
« Reply #1 on: 19.07. 2017 17:00 »
Hi Robert and welcome  *welcome*

Please will you go to Introductions, (or whatever it's called) and give us a short Bio. Also, we love pictures.

In my experience there are no hard and fast rules about suppliers; sometimes we end up with inferior parts, mostly we get stuff that's ok. I used Draganfly for most of my restoration. A few items were incorrect but the majority were fine. Draganfly have a very good returns policy. They were happy to take stuff back that was correct but just not used. You are likely to hear negative comments about one supplier or another but I think we need to be grateful that 60 years on parts for a niche product are available at all, and for reasonable cost.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 19.07. 2017 18:56 »
Ps never used a forum before so apologies if I have got anything wrong!
No worries Robert. You'll soon get the hang of it. Next step will be you wondering how you ever managed without.
Traders board is a good start for sorting out suppliers;
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=46.0
 *welcome*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 20.07. 2017 07:49 »
If you are making top shelf parts, you would want every one to know you made it so order more from you
If you see top shelf part you want every one to know where they come from so they will buy more through them.

If you are making or selling garbage then you everyone to forget when they got it from or not know who made it so you can con more cheapskates into buying more garbage from you.

So a Branded part in a branded box from a branded retailer is a good place to start.
Because Pommie bike owners are the cheapest miserable tight fisted morons in the planet. even reputable shops have to stock garbage in order to maintain turnover because those who only quality parts will not buy as many parts.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.07. 2017 12:03 »
Hi ALL,
So a Branded part in a branded box from a branded retailer is a good place to start.

Yes BUT  *ex*
Not all brands are equal *warn*

Crappy Was**ll parts are now sold in Lucas boxes and are 25% dearer *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 20.07. 2017 12:45 »
Doesn't it give you a warm glow to get a reference like this ,  *eek* *eek* *????*

"Because Pommie bike owners are the cheapest miserable tight fisted morons in the planet. even reputable shops have to stock garbage in order to maintain turnover because those who only quality parts will not buy as many parts."

I object to miserable ,could it not be changed to " whining"  ,ahh  thats better ...... *whistle* *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.07. 2017 13:29 »
I get many new parts from C and D Autos and have done so since the 1970s. Always good service no fancy website phone calls best.

I also use Ray Fishers Bit Bits in Christchurch again aways helpful and been in the business since 1959.

Also worth keeping an eye on Ebay I have found some very useful new old stock items and good used parts.

Many of the new parts currently on offer come from the same maker irrespective as to who sells them, so choice of dealer is so important if there is a problem.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.07. 2017 13:57 »
 I am willing to pay 3 times more than I am for most parts, if they are good.

The problem is there are so very few good reproduction parts in the british bike market.

I really dont know if there is a complete lack of interest in the restoration of these bikes, or there is just a very tight circle of the same people restoring them.

But obviously there is no money to be made by anyone making excellent reproductions, or someone would be doing it.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.