Author Topic: Which Oil?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Which Oil?
« Reply #30 on: 25.07. 2017 15:35 »
LynnLegend, if you are not entirely sure what the sludge trap is please research the term!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 25.07. 2017 15:37 »
Hi,

Can anyone give some advice on what kind of oil I should run in my A10?

*smile* ;)

Richard L.

Kindly leave the stage!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 26.07. 2017 00:07 »
Hi,

Can anyone give some advice on what kind of oil I should run in my A10?

*smile* ;)

Richard L.

Kindly leave the stage!

*lol* *yeah*

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 29.07. 2017 16:11 »
Good news - granddad has confirmed he had the sludge trap cleared out "a few years ago" (could well be 20 years, but at least it's been cleaned at some point).

I have another oil question, which I'm sure will get a different answer from everyone - which oil should I use in the gearbox, and also for the chain? Again, the Haynes manual suggests 20w50 for gearbox, as in the engine. Im guessing there won't be a simple answer and everyone will have their own preference, but I'd be interested to know whether I should use the same as in the engine.

Thanks,

Sam.
'59 A7 - No idea what I'm doing with it.

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 29.07. 2017 16:15 »
Scrap that - just found a thread from last year on this topic.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 30.07. 2017 05:17 »
usually worth a search of the forum for up to date info. some things haven't changed since the 1950's (clearances etc) whereas oil, tyres, some electrics are now so different that whatever the original manual or haynes says is obsolete or misleading. eg tyre pressures used to be about 18lb (if i recall correctly) with 1950 tyres. but modern tyres and compounds now run around 30lb.

BTW - love your signature - I know that feeling!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #36 on: 30.07. 2017 10:53 »
Good news - granddad has confirmed he had the sludge trap cleared out "a few years ago" (could well be 20 years, but at least it's been cleaned at some point).

I have another oil question, which I'm sure will get a different answer from everyone - which oil should I use in the gearbox, and also for the chain? Again, the Haynes manual suggests 20w50 for gearbox, as in the engine. Im guessing there won't be a simple answer and everyone will have their own preference, but I'd be interested to know whether I should use the same as in the engine.

Thanks,

Sam.

Here is a little tip.
Use Royal Purple in your box & ATF in your primary
Thus when oil starts to magically appear you will know where it is coming from by its colour.
ATF makes a better chain lube than Engine oil and is easier on the clutch than engine oil.
Remember these bikes were nothing like oil tight when new and have not gotten any better with age
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 02.08. 2017 16:29 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help thus far, I will put an update on my "introduction" post shortly.

With regards to the sump, being a clumsy idiot I managed to snap one of the bolts off by over-tightening it*, I managed to drill it out without b*ggering up the thread (hooray), however I'm not sure what size bolt I need to buy to replace it and can't find a standard answer online anywhere - these are normal bolts (I see that some kits come with dowel-type-things which you screw a nut on to. This is my first adventure into imperial sizing, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

*Lesson 1 (02/08/18) - Don't over-tighten old bolts.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #38 on: 02.08. 2017 16:42 »
Whereabouts do you and your bike live ? Please don't give the address online just area as it should be poss for me to send you a stud and nut from when I fitted an SRM sump.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 02.08. 2017 16:56 »
...With regards to the sump, being a clumsy idiot I managed to snap one of the bolts off by over-tightening it*, I managed to drill it out without b*ggering up the thread (hooray), however I'm not sure what size bolt I need to buy to replace it and can't find a standard answer online anywhere - these are normal bolts (I see that some kits come with dowel-type-things which you screw a nut on to. This is my first adventure into imperial sizing, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

No, don't overtighten things on 60+ year old motorcycles!

Should really be studs, (dowel-type-things, threaded at both ends) so that the crankcase threads don't get worn out. The thread for the crankcase will be whitworth while the other end should probably be Cycle thread but may have a more modern thread, BSF, UNF etc. Like this: https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/5918-
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #40 on: 02.08. 2017 16:56 »
Whereabouts do you and your bike live ? Please don't give the address online just area as it should be poss for me to send you a stud and nut from when I fitted an SRM sump.

I live King's Lynn, Norfolk.

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #41 on: 02.08. 2017 16:58 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help thus far, I will put an update on my "introduction" post shortly.

With regards to the sump, being a clumsy idiot I managed to snap one of the bolts off by over-tightening it*, I managed to drill it out without b*ggering up the thread (hooray), however I'm not sure what size bolt I need to buy to replace it and can't find a standard answer online anywhere - these are normal bolts (I see that some kits come with dowel-type-things which you screw a nut on to. This is my first adventure into imperial sizing, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

No, don't overtighten things on 60+ year old motorcycles!

Should really be studs, (threaded at both ends) so that the crankcase threads don't get worn out. The thread for the crankcase will be whitworth while the other end should probably be Cycle thread but may have a more modern thread, BSF, UNF etc

I would be happy to use studs if I could find where to buy a pack in the correct size - perhaps I might just have to measure it with a tape measure and hope I'm about right?

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 02.08. 2017 17:02 »
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #43 on: 02.08. 2017 17:07 »
...I would be happy to use studs if I could find where to buy a pack...
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/5918-

Lovely jubbly. I assume the 1/4 inch refers to the width of the stud and therefore a 1/4 inch nut will be the right fit? Sorry to be an imperial thicko - I'll learn.

Offline LynnLegend

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #44 on: 02.08. 2017 18:20 »
Having done some more digging online I've found the following on ebay which look just the job -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-Sump-Filter-Plate-Stainless-Steel-Studs-Standard-Length-7-8-long-/112474629877?hash=item1a3002a6f5:m:mjTwOF2t9ZAfdw3vN1m2Jow

Perhaps I should've looked harder in the first place?!