Author Topic: Black Arts (locate push rods)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
Re: Black Arts (locate push rods)
« Reply #15 on: 25.07. 2017 06:58 »
Kiwgf - if it doesn't drop on first thing this morning, I'm going to leave it and get on with fitting the clutch etc., then later I'll return to it.  If I don't get it done later today, it won't be YOU I'll be shooting *smile*
Again, thanks for the tips re wire and elastic bands - maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and things can only get better. Always look on the bright side of life etc.. etc *yeah*
'59 GF

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 25.07. 2017 08:39 »
I’ve mentioned this before – but I wonder now if maybe I just dreamt the whole thing …

There was a guy who used to write a regular one page column for Classic Bike magazine. I think his name was Andrew Wilson and most months he’d be writing of his travels and travails with his A10. Actually I think he may have had two of them. Within that, one month I’m sure he described a method by which he positioned the rods with very short sections of garden hose wedged in amongst them. This retained them in the correct position until the lid was on, after which he removed them (of course). 

This must have been at least five years ago. Does no-one else here recollect it? Maybe it was an April edition.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Steve.Carter

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 25.07. 2017 16:05 »
http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5272&p=33455&hilit=Rocker+box#p33455

Yeh, but: On the bench. No gasket and/or goo. Hole in the top of the Ariel rocker box. Comb locating bolts have been removed before fitting the top; what about cutting the heads off so you can remove them after the box is fitted.
On Ariel's there's not a lot of room so photographing  my spare engine allowed me to show the technique necessary to get the Rocker box over the pushrods. That's a problem that BSA'S may not suffer from.
Perhaps I should've  mentioned that I use solid copper rocker box gaskets with a thin coating of Welseal which seems not to  be upset by the comb.

The inspection hole is an advantage but only for peering into with a torch to check alls ok but providing I follow the procedure pushrods always line up. I'm guessing that folks who have trouble using the comb mustn't be checking the pushrods are located properly. They can all too easily fall out of the locating holes. Maybe even the comb's a bad one?
My Comb is a bit like my Satnav,  I'd be lost without it!

Steve

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #18 on: 25.07. 2017 17:33 »
Without a doubt it is an evil job to do. Even worse as has happened to me if the dam thing leaks after a short while. Not one of Bert Hopwoods best ideas. Maybe I am just unlucky, but I have always without exception really struggled with this task. I would love to know how they did it on the production line. I have encountered some Mickey mouse engineering in my time, but the A10 rocker cover is the clear winner by miles. I cannot think of a worse job to do. Zander you have all my sympathy mate, I feel your pain.
John

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 28.07. 2017 18:35 »
Well, after fixing the comb to a spark plug and removing the four corner studs and placing the two rear ones in the 'oles, I eventually got the rocker swine on.
The engine is now running after the rebuild.  Always a tense moment!  Prior to start up I pushed it up and down the drive in gear to get a bit of oil through, and was rewarded with a healthy flow very quickly once it started.  Still got a couple of jobs to do and it'll then be back on the road.  I sincerely hope, that apart from re torquing the head and tweaking the usual adjustments, I dont have to take it apart again!
Thanks to one and all for the encouragement and constructive comments *wink2*
'59 GF

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 28.07. 2017 22:00 »
I have to be perfectly honest, firstly I have only ever once re torqued a head and it was not necessary anyway (always alloy heads for me) I have never blwon a head gasket in my life, always solid copper ones.

As for the rocker box, I dont release the tappets altho I do release the locknuts, I dont use a comb and I dont use elastic bands. I could literally take it on and off in my sleep I think I have done it that many times in 45 years.

Plonk it on, find which ones you have located instantly, normally 3 for me, hold the box by those 3 rockers keeping them tensed on the push rods, wiggle the last one in place and its job done.

10 to 15 minutes and that includes putting the 4 long bolts in and pulling them down.

Maybe I just have extremely long fingers or something

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 28.07. 2017 23:09 »
Or maybe you are a jammy git! ;)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 29.07. 2017 07:24 »
I have to be perfectly honest, firstly I have only ever once re torqued a head and it was not necessary anyway (always alloy heads for me) I have never blwon a head gasket in my life, always solid copper ones.

As for the rocker box, I dont release the tappets altho I do release the locknuts, I dont use a comb and I dont use elastic bands. I could literally take it on and off in my sleep I think I have done it that many times in 45 years.

Plonk it on, find which ones you have located instantly, normally 3 for me, hold the box by those 3 rockers keeping them tensed on the push rods, wiggle the last one in place and its job done.

10 to 15 minutes and that includes putting the 4 long bolts in and pulling them down.

Maybe I just have extremely long fingers or something

Same with me.  I've had mine off at least a dozen times.  No comb or rubber bands, and I get three to drop right in.  A little guidance and I get the final one in place.  I've never had a problem, wrestled with them or cursed God while in process.  Just have a knack for it I guess.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 29.07. 2017 09:30 »
Always found that the comb made the job more difficult. Much easier without.

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 29.07. 2017 17:35 »
On several occasions I managed to get three located, but failed to coax the fourth into place.  After leaving the job to get on with primary chain case etc., when I went back to it, I succeeded in a matter of minutes.  It's the first time I've done it,  so hopefully if I have to do it again, it won't be so troublesome.  One can live in hope *smile*
'59 GF

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 29.07. 2017 21:45 »
Regards re torqueing the head bolts down I took SRMs advice and don't. They said after the last 30lb torque they never go back to re torque the bolts and never had a gasket failure. Nor have I.   *smile*

ELLIS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 29.07. 2017 22:11 »
when I went back to it, I succeeded in a matter of minutes.

I think most of us have had that experience - magic indeed
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 30.07. 2017 01:19 »
Jammy git??? Me???

Possibly  *smile*

BTWNeil you have mail

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 30.07. 2017 01:24 »
Regards re torqueing the head bolts down I took SRMs advice and don't. They said after the last 30lb torque they never go back to re torque the bolts and never had a gasket failure. Nor have I.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say I normally torque it down then leave it a day retorquing it before I put the rocker box on but in the past when for one reason or another I was in a rush I have just tightened it and put the rocker box straight on, it never seems to make any difference one way or another.

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #29 on: 16.08. 2017 11:07 »
Eating humble pie at the moment as I have chipped a rocker assy cup after refitting my rocker cover.
Spewin'!
I still think that a coat hanger wire beats the stupid comb.
Just check and recheck that all is seated while tightening up the box.
I''ll always use my inspection camera from now on to double and triple check.
Cheers all.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.