Author Topic: Black Arts (locate push rods)  (Read 2487 times)

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
Re: Black Arts (locate push rods)
« Reply #30 on: 16.08. 2017 16:28 »
I use an endoscope ( plugs into laptop) to confirm that the rods are positioned properly in the followers. There is a witness mark on one of the followers where the rod has sat outside of the follower cup sometime in the past ( probably why there was a bent valve when I got the bike ).Very handy tool for inspecting other hard to get to bits etc.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 16.08. 2017 19:04 »
I use an endoscope ( plugs into laptop) to confirm that the rods are positioned properly in the followers...
...Very handy tool for inspecting other hard to get to bits etc.
I've considered buying one of those but the sales video for the one I was looking at didn't really inspire confidence. What make have you got? How much was it? Where did you get it?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 16.08. 2017 21:42 »
Not quite sure what all the fuss is about, I have found the best method that saves all the agro, I think anyway, get the comb before fitting the gaskets, place it in position by locating the two screw holes, then bend the comb down so that it fits flat against the top fin, sort of z shape, then get some thin welding mole grips and you can clamp the comb so that it does not move. Once you have done this, get the push rods so they are pretty much even, almost the same height, you can never get them all the same but as close as possible, then just put the gaskets in place, get the rockers ruffly in the middle of the rocker box, then gently let the rocker box down and if you haven't moved anything trying to get the box in position you should be about there, put in the four studs and screw down until you feel the push rods locate, just leave enough room to get the comb out, once this is done you should be able to feel through the cover holes,  to make sure they are in the correct position, then tighten down not tight, to make sure, you can then turn the engine over to make sure they are acting as they should.
I have tried and tested this method, I hope it helps you.

Regards TTJohn *smile*

Offline mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #33 on: 16.08. 2017 22:35 »
The model I have doesn't have a maker's name ( I know this doesn't instill confidence)  but, it works well. Its labeled as a USB inspection camera, has an LED light fitted and also has a few bits and pieces like a small mirror etc. It was a present from my son, bought on Amazon for about £20. My son says they are all probably made in China for about this price. You can get them with a screen supplied but, that is the poor bit. Much better to use a laptop.Hope this is of use. Probably quite a selection on e-bay too. I take the point that some people have no difficulty with fitting push-rods, its probably a bit easier on my Huntmaster than the A10, but this tool just gives peace of mind. And as I said earlier useful for inspecting bores etc.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 17.08. 2017 09:12 »

I don't want to stray off track about endosopes- I bought one online and it didn't arrive, but was quickly refunded...But I have a backup that I've bought over the counter somewhere and use that for all the above stuff.

Back on pushrod locating; last time 10k + miles ago, I did it once was easy-peasy (just a few minutes), but then had to take the box off again for some reason and not-so-easy-peasy (about 20 minutes I think- I posted it here about '12/13)= had a bo-peep over the top of the rocker shafts.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 17.08. 2017 09:29 »
I've had a few bad experiences with endosopes.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 17.08. 2017 09:49 »
I've had a few bad experiences with endosopes.
*smile*

We don't need to know about your medical problems!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 17.08. 2017 14:51 »
I'll try and add some photo's for you all just to show you how to bend the comb.

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #38 on: 17.08. 2017 14:54 »
Hey it actually worked *smile*

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 17.08. 2017 15:11 »
Yes, that looks good John. Keeping the comb still appears to be the answer. I'll investigate this method next time I do pushrods. I'll be a bit nervous of clamping onto cast iron cylinder fins though!  :-\
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #40 on: 19.08. 2017 11:48 »
I get a mate of mine to do it as I like to be on the road more than in the garage  *smile* *bright idea* - plus the fact I occasionally suffer from rage issues when BSA's engineering defeats all logic. *pull hair out*  *rant* *problem* Wonder how the workers in the factory did it so quickly (and probably with their eyes shut too) *respect*.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 19.08. 2017 13:52 »
I imagine they had a more sophisticated comb device.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #42 on: 19.08. 2017 14:37 »
Wonder how the workers in the factory did it so quickly (and probably with their eyes shut too)
The fact that they were on a piece work (earnings directley related to how many they did per hour) probably was a good incentive. What I have always been curious about is  this. From the BSA Instruction manual "After the machine has covered its first 250 miles When new or after decarbonising check the tightness of the cyclinder head bolts" So, I wonder how many new owners regreted their descision to buy a A10, having discovered the joy of refitting the rocker box cover? Or, for that matter how many who were in the know took a chance and did not bother. It was Donald Heather a director of AMC that once said that motorcyclists like nothing better than to spend Sunday mornings doing a decoke. That statement was made to Bert Hopwood who originally designed the Norton Jubilee to have all in one barrels and cylinder heads. Heather vetoed the idea and insisted on seperate barrels and heads, and that statement was his rational for doing so. If a new owner was supposed to check the cylinder head bolts for tightness did BSA include a set of rocker box gaskets in the purchase price of A10s and A7s? Hardly likely I would have thought. So, a brand new machine, and after 250 miles you are expected to buy spares. What a nice little earner for BSA and their dealers. Just imagine the purchaser of a new bike putting up with that today!
John

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 19.08. 2017 14:58 »
...What I have always been curious about is  this. From the BSA Instruction manual "After the machine has covered its first 250 miles When new or after decarbonising check the tightness of the cyclinder head bolts"...
Could this be an example of what we often see now as Protection of Arses; by this I mean a statement that is supposed to protect an organisation from blame: "We told you to do X, Y or Z. If you didn't do it it's not our responsibility"
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #44 on: 19.08. 2017 15:13 »
Heh, probably Greybeard - although I was never too good at following overly complicated instructions.  I guess I'll decarbonise when I feel I need too, get an external oil filter if I feel I need too, etc.  Otherwise, if I've clean oil, a tank of petrol, pumped up tyres and no loose nuts and bolts, it's the open road for me (providing the beast starts, of course!).
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250