Author Topic: Experimental Department - Engine Development ED  (Read 535 times)

Offline halpiboy

• Active
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone would know of records from the BSA Experimental Department at all. I have a A10 twin engine (stamped ED.171). I'm wondering is there are any records around the ED numbering, i.e. what was specific about this engine and if there are any details around testing.

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
Re: Experimental Department - Engine Development ED
« Reply #1 on: 04.08. 2017 14:34 »
Interesting.  A few things to consider:

Thin flange cylinder
ED. font different from 171
I think? the experimental dept. projects were stamped EX (just my opinion)
Check the right side case (dynamo area) for a date code stamping (small font).

Offline halpiboy

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2017 14:57 »
It looks like the ED donations were assigned, then numerically stamped later (once utilised within the Experimental Department). As per the A50R sold at Bonhams, which was a special out of the Experimental Department, both the frame and engine ED xxx are of differing stamp sizes indicating parts were assigned for use then stamped once utilised.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20469/lot/381A/

Shall have a look for a date stamping, the other point was the entire engine is matt black finished 

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 04.08. 2017 19:42 »
I have no idea personally but thank you for bringing attention to it.  I *LOVE* that BSA A50 racer you linked to, was not aware of it before and very cool.  (I have some unit A65s and singles so a cool bike like that is great to see)
Not to hijack your thread but I found it super interesting that A50 ran a Magneto off the back of the timing case. Did not think that was possible. (Would love to see some internal engine details on that)
I would THINK you should be contacting the BSAOC and see if there is records of your engine, Be very interesting to see what turns up.
Have you read the material from Val Pages autobiography?  It appears he was not a big fan of the twins. (Goldstar man) but he was tasked with engineering and process improvements on them which led to eventual great success.  Perhaps your motor is a later test piece.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 05.08. 2017 10:13 »
Usually numbers ooo through to 100 were used for experimenting and factory race specials which is why BSA numbers started from 101.
However BSA engines were also used in small cars and other weird & wonderful devices of the 50's & 60's so without any sort of providence, we would be guessing.
Bike Beesa
Trevor