Author Topic: Kick start rubber  (Read 1325 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Kick start rubber
« on: 31.07. 2017 15:45 »
Has anyone found a way of preventing kick start rubbers from working their way off the pedal after 2 or 3 kicks?

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kick start rubber
« Reply #1 on: 31.07. 2017 15:56 »
I have an almost unconscious habit of kicking the end of the rubber with the side of my boot after the engine starts.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 31.07. 2017 16:57 »
I have an almost unconscious habit of kicking the end of the rubber with the side of my boot after the engine starts.

Ditto.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.07. 2017 18:40 »
As demonstrated here:
https://youtu.be/GL0wT8kriTA
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 31.07. 2017 20:48 »
Yep same here for 36 years!
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.07. 2017 22:01 »
I use the rubbers that are open both ends, they seem to stay on better ( a bit better antway)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 31.07. 2017 22:29 »
i second that Bill. i also use a jubillee clip when the rubber splits.. still on the originals. well almost.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.07. 2017 22:43 »
 I had same problem and after a few 'new' replacements that split in a short time decided to make my own using oil hose with a SS inner sleeve, and custom washer to hold it on
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.07. 2017 22:56 »
Kickstarter rubber from a Yamaha DT400 works well.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 01.08. 2017 02:15 »
currently ados f2 is holding. previously some construction adhesive worked for a while.
make a nail hole in the end of the rubber to relieve the pressure when sliding it on, and maybe a lose clamp overnight to hold in place.
but its an average solution, not great
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 01.08. 2017 02:45 »
Modern replacements are crap! Sorry, but most are.  I have had rubber bits go to cracked and junk while the bike is on the bench for a rebuild (Okay, admittedly I sometimes take a long time) but it is disheartening to have fork boots, kick rubbers, shifter rubbers and footpeg prophylactics crack and fall apart in short order.

Never use silicone based materials (its bad news and gets near your paint makes it hell for anyone to ever repaint again) But there ARE a few products that will keep your rubber bits pliable and near new.  (Stay away from Armour All as well,,it makes it nice for a short while but accelerates wear and decay).

Glue or adhesive is generally not great for  a kicker as with the motion of the kick, the rubber piece should not stay fixed or stationary... Rolls a bit under the boot.  But I have seen and done it myself a few times is take some stainless acft safety wire (0.032 thou") and do 2 turns smartly around the end furthest away from the bike. Many kickers have a blob or knob on the end anyway so adjacent to that.  Do the pigtail short and tuck it back in so not to protrude and stays on the underside out of site.

Use care when cinching up the stainless wire tight. You want it very secure but not so much as to slice THRU the rubber or distort it too bad.  You just want to cinch things up near the proud end so it doesnt slip off.  Remember about that rotate while kicking bit as well. (So, goldilocks tight, not TOO tight and not too loose)

many people secure grips this way too, and hoses instead of clamps.  Done right it looks good, done wrong,, it looks bad.  I am sure there is some dandy safety wire classes on youtube these days.

Also very handy tool to have to secure bits known to fall off. (its equally useful for airplanes and old Iron bikes)

(Dont poke your eye out!)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline kiwi george

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 01.08. 2017 04:43 »
I drill & tap a thread in the end of the kick start lever find a s/s washer about 25 mm in diameter & a screw to suit thread you have tapped out I have done this to my A10, B31 & B33 with complete sucess

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 01.08. 2017 05:24 »
drill & tap a thread in the end of the kick start lever...
i like that idea. might try it myself  *smile*
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 16.08. 2017 22:49 »
I make sure all mine start 1st kick so its not a problem  *smile*

No seriously, I have the inbuilt habit that muskrat and greybeard have, I kick it over and automatically boot the rubber whether its coming off or not

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 17.08. 2017 21:35 »
sluggo, i would be very careful wirelocking on a original bsa if i was you. an unauthorised repair and dubious standard modification in my book. wirelocking the sump bolts is a sure fire way of telling that bikes been raced in the past and past its best. wirelock only on the 2 primary drive inner cover bolts or if riding in quest for the maudes trophy.