Author Topic: Nuts and bolts  (Read 952 times)

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Nuts and bolts
« Reply #30 on: 16.07. 2018 21:49 »
I believe Barleycorn Engineering (Simon) manufactures their own parts and being a small company dedicated to the preservation of our classic motorcycles means you get high quality.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #31 on: 17.07. 2018 03:19 »
My Golden Flash (on which I did my first running-in ride two days ago) has stainless fasteners all over. *help* Some are safety critical, such as the fork bottom studs, front brake plate retaining nut etc. I purchased these in 1992 from Thoroughbred Stainless of East Sussex in UK. They were BSA-specific, so I assumed that they were made of the required grade. Certainly, I never felt that any of the fasteners were soft. Does any member have any experience of the quality of Thoroughbred Stainless fasteners or the people who ran the business.? The invoice was signed by Tony Clegg. I am sure that Thoroughbred does not exist today, but someone may know.
Or should I fit a speed limiter to about 30mph.?? *grins* *grins*
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 17.07. 2018 05:09 »
Hi Colsbeeza.

I'm not sure if this is the company you are after, but when I Google Thoroughbred stainless fastenings it comes up with D Middleton & sons who have been in business for over 30 years.

Address:
 Unit 5
 Lady Ann Mills
 Lady Ann Road
 Batley
 West Yorkshire
 WF17 0PS

I hope you find this useful.   *smile*

ELLIS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #33 on: 17.07. 2018 09:36 »
G'day Col.
The nut would be OK use loctite, the studs I would replace next tyre change. You won't be riding it like you stole it will you?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #34 on: 17.07. 2018 12:42 »
Thanks Ellis and Muskrat,
I will have a think about which nuts I should replace to be sure- to be sure!
Someone may also know a bit about Thoroughbred.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 17.07. 2018 12:45 »
had a lot from Thoroughbred back in the 1980s ad 1990s, wheel spindles, fork oil seal holders, swinging arm spindle various fasteners. Some of the fasteners stretched - the fork cap bolts and gear lever bolt - but the rest still OK as far as I can tell.

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #36 on: 18.07. 2018 01:27 »
I really like original fasteners on a bike but you simply can’t get whitworth hex here in NZ. 7/16 and 13mm and 1” are a reasonably close approximation but for any of the others you have to find a milling machine. Fortunately cycle taps and dies are still easy to obtain as are whitworth so I generally make my own and have them zinc plated cadmium being something you can only get done if you have an aero industry connection. I’ve been very happy with the zinc finish though and in six weeks I defy anyone to tell the difference.
NZ

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #37 on: 18.07. 2018 01:49 »
I really like original fasteners on a bike but you simply can’t get whitworth hex here in NZ. 7/16 and 13mm and 1” are a reasonably close approximation but for any of the others you have to find a milling machine. Fortunately cycle taps and dies are still easy to obtain as are whitworth so I generally make my own and have them zinc plated cadmium being something you can only get done if you have an aero industry connection. I’ve been very happy with the zinc finish though and in six weeks I defy anyone to tell the difference.

Many others are in the same boat,  Especially when it comes to specialty hardware. As I said earlier, I really like using Stainless fasteners and hardware.  And modify some to remove the markings, round the dome on the heads or polish them.  My wife is mgmt and worked her way up in a Machine shop that can easily replicate any hardware and does in great quantity for a variety of clients, but its very expensive in small batches.  Would require large sums of money to commission hardware kits and would be slow movers to sell.

Truth is, most Brit bike owners are cost conscious and wont buy premium when cheap stuff is out there even if its to their detriment. So, quality hardware with known properties and specs dont sell well compared to cheap knock offs.

When it comes to plating some obsess about cad plating, but fewer and fewer vendors can and will do Cad, even fewer who will deal with some guy with a bike restoration.  Cad plating can come in a variety of colors and finishes, most tend to be very yellow tinged, Not easy to find someone doing Cad in the correct shade and appearance.

I have done a lot of fasteners in Zinc, I have a local plater that does a decent job and the color is good, plus Zinc has  little bit of lubricating properties compared to others,,

I have some inventory from another shop that did a lot of theirs in Nickel,, Looks great but is a pain to work with, It is thicker than other platings and tends to foul threads.

All of the above are only as good as your prep work, Fixing threads, wrench marks, and texturing the metal is critical (PLUS CLEAN!)

*** KEEP IN MIND***  Threads CUT with a tap or die are not very strong.  proper threads are ROLLED or formed.

If someone wants to commision their own fastener line...Ask for Linda. (Logistics lead, Master scheduler)

See: https://enochmachining.com

" "Since 1949, Enoch has been a full-service provider of precision-machining services, specializing in close tolerance milled and turned components. Over the years, our customers have relied on us to provide a complete parts solution. With over 80 automated and 50 secondary machines, we can start with prototypes and increase quantities as needed, all under one roof."
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline mikeb

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 18.07. 2018 01:52 »
you simply can’t get whitworth hex here in NZ
Symo british spares in nelson and british parts in grey lynn both carry some. or stock up from the uk - barlyeycorn. motalia, or even nookie's nutts for bags of cheapies. postage adds up but cheaper from the uk than aus / usa
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #39 on: 18.07. 2018 02:36 »
I meant to add my Tony story.  I have a guy locally I have known many years, we seem to end up in in close proximity despite significant differences in net worth.  Tony runs a Aerospace company nearby in manufacturing components.  Smart guy, but a bit of a nutter.

He is originally from Yorkshire and apprenticed back in the day at some place called "Crabtrees?" (I may have the name wrong) and he had some great stories how old the company was and how they work with the youngsters teaching them a trade.   

I am hoping one day he gets out some old photos, because it would be cool to see him back in the day, He was also quite a brawler back in the day I am told.   Anyrate Tony told me about
"Balled up Ally"   Which is kind of funny because many of us joke with him that he does not say ALUMINUM right (inside joke)   But he said back in the day  as a young brit bike rider you spent all week Polishing your bike and showing it off on the weekend, And if it was really nice he said they would say its "Balled up"
or Balled up ally,,,  He rode a Goldstar, And said a popular thing to do with machinists apprentices would take your fillister head screws and machine the ends so when snugged up EVERY screw had the slot straight up and down.  Seems a funny thing to do, But now I look for it on bikes, Only seen one done like that.

Maybe its just the rantings from a nutter who had too many amber ales but it seems like something he would do.  He also claims he attended the live show for the WHO at Leeds so likes to claim "I am on the record too" Try and I might I cant tell if he is or not.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #40 on: 18.07. 2018 18:53 »
And if it was really nice he said they would say its "Balled up" or Balled up ally,,, 
Hi Sluggo,
In the UK military we would say  to 'bull' was to clean and polish it very shiny  - for no purpose other than for it to be clean and shiny. . . i.e. Bull the toecaps of your boots, so maybe he was saying 'bulled up ally' (meaning of course very, very shiny alluminium *smile*).
In the Royal Marines we always had to clean and polish everything to perfection (i.e. bull it). I've seen coal in bunkers painted white and patches on grass painted green in preparation for an inspection of a VIP.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #41 on: 18.07. 2018 19:32 »
thanks,,, That is very probable and I got it wrong,, Ill double check next time I see him.  I am also familiar with the military side, One of the military job skills that will get you fired in the civilian world is managing to disappear whenever there is menial work to be performed.  The US calls is "Shamming" or to Sham, or "Skate" or skater for someone evading work details.  I did not have much interaction with British troops despite a brief training deployment to Boscomb down. Lakenheath and Upper Heyford were 90% US Troops but I did spend 2 weeks with the Australians Royal 1st squadron as they had F-111s and man,, Those guys were something else.
Very competent on the flight line, but epic drinkers.   I could NEVER compete with them on the drinking

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 18.07. 2018 21:54 »
While you guys have been spinnin' tales, I've placed my first order with Barleycorn. Hoping the shipping is a little gentler than quoted, but expecting to be pleased, regardless.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #43 on: 20.07. 2018 05:34 »
Thanks Julian,
That is great feedback re Throughbred. I will replace the fork cap nuts.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia