Author Topic: Rear brake lever  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Rear brake lever
« on: 10.07. 2013 13:43 »
It appears I have the wrong brake lever for my 51 A10 Plunger, I think I have one for the Swingarm frame. Attached photo of a swing arm with the type I have and photo of Brian's bike with the type I assume I need. Can some-one please enlighten me as too what I need and where to get it.
Cheers Russ.
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rear brake lever
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2013 00:00 »
Good question, Russ.
                                   The illustration in the parts book shows the long lever but I have 2 plates with the short lever and one with a long lever.
I will have a good look later to see if there are any casting/forging numbers on the levers.

Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2013 01:56 »
Got your PM Russ. You need the short lever part no. 67-6053.

Trev the longer one is off a plunger B or M series.

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2013 01:58 »
Thanks Brian
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.04. 2017 09:24 »
 Old thread, and not sure where to start, there's two parallel-ish threads with similar issues, so I'll try'n do a 'blend'...that reminds me of an old BC Cartoon; "Parallel lines never meet"  *eek*

With regard to all of Brian, Trev and....

Russ, somehow I convinced myself that the short stumpy arm (with no number) that I also have been using was a 67-6053, but looking in the parts book last night, I saw that  67-6053 is longer than that...but can't find much info on them, maybe other Plunger owners can help out... *????* *????*
    I have a couple of 42-6045, that can work but have just a bit too much offset...took piccies, but need to sort that..

So I also have a 40-6041 that may belong on C15/B40/A65??  (as per ebay listings), that I put on today, it has 3" centres, and seems to work ok for now.......

there's more, but I've wasted too much time and dran.....ahhhheeer -nah..... *beer*....nochette..so my question is for Plunger owners; what brake arm do you have on the wheel, and is it possible to provide some piccies and measurements ??

Piccy shows what levers I have, stumpy one on left, 40-6041 that I added today second from left. The two on the right are the 42-6045's (one is a bit bent) but will work if bent the other way

** edited; only one pic *dunno2*,

phew...comprende...??

now I'm over to
Wanted & For Sale / Re: 55 A10 plunger rear brake arm.
  to wreak even more mayhem... *beer*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 20.04. 2017 11:24 »
duTch, when I first posted about this, 4 years ago, I did a trial fit of the rear wheel into my frame etc but haven't progressed any further than that. However, I just checked my brake lever arm which appears to be the same as your short one on the left. It is about 66mm in length. My recolection is that the short one fitted correctly. Mine does not have a part number!!
I have a longer one which didn't work as the brake rod fouled on something?
Hope this vague info is of some help.
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.04. 2017 11:37 »
...I just checked my brake lever arm which appears to be the same as your short one on the left...
Yes, that's the same arm as the one on my '55 plunger. Same as Russ's second picture.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.04. 2017 18:15 »

Yes, that's the same arm as the one on my '55 plunger. Same as Russ's second picture.

I remembered you had one too GB, just forgot to mention- sorry

I also forgot the stumpy 'no number' lever measures ~1-11/16" /~42mm centres,& 2-5/8" /66mm o/a.
  The two-view pic I thought I added didn't happen, so hopefully will be here now, along with views of one that I made long ago, when I had no other and worked ok....

I also just took a pic of the 40-6041 in place (second from left in previous post), so you can see plenty of clearance.

.....so my question is for Plunger owners; what brake arm do you have on the wheel, and is it possible to provide some piccies and measurements ??

It seems that the original long version 67-6053 listed part is hard to find ,even interwebs images, and my intended ^^ question was to be;
     " Does anyone actually have one of the 'long' 67-6053 levers, and can possibly show details" ??

I don't need one, just curious *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 16.08. 2017 11:22 »
I have a long version of the lever and it is no good as the offset puts it right in line with the plunger suspension. I am after the short version which I believe is 67-6053.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 16.08. 2017 19:58 »

I have a long version of the lever and it is no good as the offset puts it right in line with the plunger suspension. I am after the short version which I believe is 67-6053.

How does it sit when turned the other way ?
Australia

Offline MartinK

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 18.08. 2017 10:30 »
Hi duTch. Turning it so the offset is facing the wheel is no good as it fouls the brake plate. The offset is to great.