Author Topic: Unread posts  (Read 1891 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Unread posts
« on: 15.06. 2009 13:56 »
Erling,

Does the Forum software include the opiton (as in a checkbox you, as administrator, could select in the setup frame) of allowing a member to choose how far back to see Unread Posts? That would be a really nice feature, considering how many posts per day are now coming in. Congratulations are in order, as the forum keeps atracting good people and interesting bikes from all over the world. I understand there is even a guy up in Norway. ;) *smile*

Richard L.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Unread posts
« Reply #1 on: 15.06. 2009 17:22 »
Tons of possible features exists, which are not implemented (to keep maintenance, security, clutter, speed etc within limits), but this is not one of them. Yes, nice to see the activity here.

e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 15.06. 2009 18:47 »
Richard... I was also thinking along the same lines as you... There are such a lot of daily posts now that I am often missing some unread posts myself AND I know Fido has missed a post that he might liked to have replied to this morning. I mentioned to mrshells last night on his '1947 rigid A7 frame' post that Fido would likely reply, but it seems that fido has not answered, probably because he has missed the message.

I also notice that many members could make better use of the 'modify post' facility and maybe they could also add to a post rather than imediatly re-post a fresh message shortly after. Perhaps we could also refrain from starting a fresh thread while a similar thread is already being discussed. These are just a couple of ideas which could avoid cluttering up the daily un read posts.

I wonder if anyone else reading this might have some ideas on how we can avoid missing un read posts??
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15.06. 2009 20:03 »
About unread posts, no possibility afaik to set a date, personally I just click 'Show unread posts since last visit' to get the overview.

The other things mentionned by LJ, let's just hope members read the help pages + browse the info and help board now and then, and pick up as much as possible over time. This one is good reading: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=97.0

e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 15.06. 2009 21:42 »
Erling,   Where do I find the "Show unread posts since last visit"?  My apologies in advance if it is so obvious that I can't see it. 

Beezageezauk.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 15.06. 2009 21:57 »
Click the +  (se pic 1)
( Another + at the bottom, right of The BSA A7 & A10 Forum - Info Center , to get the lists, stats etc)
Sorry if this it not well enough documented, I just thought everybody knew about it.

Option 2 (2nd picture): Click the logo to get to the unread posts since last visit for a particular board.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 15.06. 2009 22:32 »
I look at this list and save this as a bookmark... The red arrowed linked line also shows an unread list!

(This is a picture of my computer screen while visiting the A7 & A10 forum.)

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red