Author Topic: Oil sump  (Read 641 times)

Offline nick

• Active
Oil sump
« on: 25.08. 2017 01:25 »
Okay so last year my bike ran good nice and stronger not burning oil at all. So after it was sitting for all summer I finally decided to put it back together and go for a ride. And now when it starts it's burning oil big time and I noticed the my oil tank was almost empty. I fill the tank start the bike go around the block and I filled my street with thick smoke get back home tank is empty again so I checked my sump by removing the cover and around 3-4 litres of oil came flooding out. I reinstalled the sump cover refilled the tank go down my street with no smoke then get back to my garage and it's smoking again and the tank is empty again and the sump refilled with all the oil. I have no clue why this is happening now so I'm hoping that someone here knows what's going on. The bike is a 1950 golden flash  a10 650

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil sump
« Reply #1 on: 25.08. 2017 04:27 »
 The scavenge side of the system is not working.

Your pump is pumping oil into the motor, but its not getting back out.

Under your sump cover is a small pipe with a check ball in the end. Thats the suction pick up tube.

Check and make sure the end of the pipe is clear. Poke at the ball a little to make sure it moves freely.

If that all looks ok, I would remove the return line from the back of the engine and kick the bike over (dont start it!) and see if oil is trying to return.

If oil is trying to return, you might have a blocked/collapsed oil line leading up to the tank.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline nick

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 25.08. 2017 04:40 »

Under your sump cover is a small pipe with a check ball in the end. Thats the suction pick up tube.

Check and make sure the end of the pipe is clear. Poke at the ball a little to make sure it moves freely.

If that all looks ok, I would remove the return line from the back of the engine and kick the bike over (dont start it!) and see if oil is trying to return.

If oil is trying to return, you might have a blocked/collapsed oil line leading up to the tank.

Lee
thanks for the advise. Hopefully it's just something simple like a plugged check ball or bad hose. I'll take it back apart tomorrow.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.08. 2017 06:22 »
 hiya nick- I don't like rules much but the one that I do like is "don't ride without checking for (strong) oil return to the tank..."

Also read the recent saga of R2D2fella; plenty ideas there;-

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=12057.15
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline nick

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 26.08. 2017 21:31 »

Lee
you where spot on with the issue the suction line was plugged with 70 year old  petrified  debris. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 26.08. 2017 21:48 »
Eh Nick

Where are you located ?

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6