Author Topic: Cylinder base nuts and washers  (Read 1305 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Cylinder base nuts and washers
« on: 29.08. 2017 16:31 »
I need to tell a couple of stories about my current top-end strip and reassemble, but figure the stories should wait until it's actually together.

Right now the question is this: are the internal-tooth lock washers sold for use on the base studs hard enough to bite into stainless steel nuts? I'm about to go buy some stainless internal-tooth washers from my local hardwase store and wondering if the few miles of driving is worth it.

Richard L.

EDIT: That is, a few miles of driving to get the washers. I hope the bike goes at least through the DGR.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cylinder base nuts and washers
« Reply #1 on: 29.08. 2017 19:40 »
 Richard,

The kind BSA used with the internal and external little teeth I was always told that those are for electrical connections, because they scrub a little right before they bite in- gives you a cleaner, less resistance termination.

It also seems like if I put real torque on them, the teeth get permanently crushed flat and then they are no better than a flat washer.

I would use stainless split ring (regular) lock washers and some blue loctite. Or if your not a believer in lock washers at all (and many people are not, myself included) I would just use blue loctite, a thick flat washer, and torque it tight.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 29.08. 2017 21:45 »
Cylinder base nuts only ever had plain washers in my experience. Not particularly prone to loosen off.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.08. 2017 21:48 »
I would just use blue loctite, a thick flat washer, and torque it tight.

I agree, no need for lock washer I have found and I don't use locktight either

Also find stainless nuts perhaps a tad softer than ordinary steel nuts, but as we know both steel and stainless steel comes in different grades of hardness
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.08. 2017 22:13 »
You'll want to check tightness after the gasket settles a little.

Loctite won't help that.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.08. 2017 23:37 »
Parts book shows an external tooth washer,  but internal is always supplied when ordering the part. I went ahead and got the stainless internal tooth version but was very disappointed in how dull the teeth were. I was able to scratch the nut with the edge of the washer, but that's little comfort with dull teeth. I went the Loctite route with those washers. I'm sure it will be fine until the next time it has to come apart and every 1/8 turn of the nuts requires a spanner instead of fingers.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #6 on: 30.08. 2017 06:29 »
Don't know if I'm misreading my parts book but I don't see a lock washer listed for the base nuts. As mentioned above, in my experience I have never come across lock washers on cylinder base nuts. Not that it makes any difference...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.08. 2017 06:44 »
Generally speaking, only plain washers or no washers at all, are a firm enough arrangement for such an application.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.08. 2017 09:59 »
As already said the cylinder base gaskets, especially the modern thick ones, do settle and the nuts will need to be checked and probably retigtened over the first 100-200 miles use. For that reason I would avoid loctite.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.08. 2017 12:59 »
Well, the book doesn't say "lock" or "star" washer, but it's pretty  obvious in the picture. Regarding the gasket settling, I made my own from thick, fairly hard, art paper, so I'm thinking that settling won't be a problem (by happy coincidence). I agree that lock washers are probably inaffective or, at least, not as affective as we'd like.

Richard L.

Offline rocker21

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 30.08. 2017 14:58 »
well the best thing you can use now is "nordlock washers" they will never come undone, a bit more expensive than spring or star washers, but they do work and if you are after something that is 100% reliable than that is what they are.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.08. 2017 17:04 »
"nordlock washers"

Not familiar with the name Richard, what do they look like?

Another option is Nyloc nuts, they have a nylon insert at the top of the nut that stops them unwinding

All the best - Bill

PS off topic I know but I just got me PC back from repair shop, I have been flogging my old eyes on a ten inch tablet for a week, not good.
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 31.08. 2017 00:34 »

PS off topic I know but I just got me PC back from repair shop, I have been flogging my old eyes on a ten inch tablet for a week, not good.

You want to be careful flogging your eyes too much. You could go blind.  *whistle*

Offline rocker21

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 31.08. 2017 09:45 »
nordlock washer are a 2 part washer with teeth which makes them easy to do up, but very difficult to undo, look at this website.  http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction/
I have used them on many things and they are a good replacement for tab washers, recently used them on the crown wheel on my guzzi as someone forgot to do up the tab washers in the past and it made a mess when the bolts came loose  and you can't buy them any more.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 31.08. 2017 10:40 »
nordlock washer are a 2 part washer with teeth

Ah I think I've seen them right enough

Thanks
All the best - Bill