Author Topic: Cylinder base nuts and washers  (Read 1938 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Cylinder base nuts and washers
« on: 29.08. 2017 16:31 »
I need to tell a couple of stories about my current top-end strip and reassemble, but figure the stories should wait until it's actually together.

Right now the question is this: are the internal-tooth lock washers sold for use on the base studs hard enough to bite into stainless steel nuts? I'm about to go buy some stainless internal-tooth washers from my local hardwase store and wondering if the few miles of driving is worth it.

Richard L.

EDIT: That is, a few miles of driving to get the washers. I hope the bike goes at least through the DGR.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cylinder base nuts and washers
« Reply #1 on: 29.08. 2017 19:40 »
 Richard,

The kind BSA used with the internal and external little teeth I was always told that those are for electrical connections, because they scrub a little right before they bite in- gives you a cleaner, less resistance termination.

It also seems like if I put real torque on them, the teeth get permanently crushed flat and then they are no better than a flat washer.

I would use stainless split ring (regular) lock washers and some blue loctite. Or if your not a believer in lock washers at all (and many people are not, myself included) I would just use blue loctite, a thick flat washer, and torque it tight.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 29.08. 2017 21:45 »
Cylinder base nuts only ever had plain washers in my experience. Not particularly prone to loosen off.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.08. 2017 21:48 »
I would just use blue loctite, a thick flat washer, and torque it tight.

I agree, no need for lock washer I have found and I don't use locktight either

Also find stainless nuts perhaps a tad softer than ordinary steel nuts, but as we know both steel and stainless steel comes in different grades of hardness
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.08. 2017 22:13 »
You'll want to check tightness after the gasket settles a little.

Loctite won't help that.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.08. 2017 23:37 »
Parts book shows an external tooth washer,  but internal is always supplied when ordering the part. I went ahead and got the stainless internal tooth version but was very disappointed in how dull the teeth were. I was able to scratch the nut with the edge of the washer, but that's little comfort with dull teeth. I went the Loctite route with those washers. I'm sure it will be fine until the next time it has to come apart and every 1/8 turn of the nuts requires a spanner instead of fingers.

Richard L.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #6 on: 30.08. 2017 06:29 »
Don't know if I'm misreading my parts book but I don't see a lock washer listed for the base nuts. As mentioned above, in my experience I have never come across lock washers on cylinder base nuts. Not that it makes any difference...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.08. 2017 06:44 »
Generally speaking, only plain washers or no washers at all, are a firm enough arrangement for such an application.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.08. 2017 09:59 »
As already said the cylinder base gaskets, especially the modern thick ones, do settle and the nuts will need to be checked and probably retigtened over the first 100-200 miles use. For that reason I would avoid loctite.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.08. 2017 12:59 »
Well, the book doesn't say "lock" or "star" washer, but it's pretty  obvious in the picture. Regarding the gasket settling, I made my own from thick, fairly hard, art paper, so I'm thinking that settling won't be a problem (by happy coincidence). I agree that lock washers are probably inaffective or, at least, not as affective as we'd like.

Richard L.

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 30.08. 2017 14:58 »
well the best thing you can use now is "nordlock washers" they will never come undone, a bit more expensive than spring or star washers, but they do work and if you are after something that is 100% reliable than that is what they are.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.08. 2017 17:04 »
"nordlock washers"

Not familiar with the name Richard, what do they look like?

Another option is Nyloc nuts, they have a nylon insert at the top of the nut that stops them unwinding

All the best - Bill

PS off topic I know but I just got me PC back from repair shop, I have been flogging my old eyes on a ten inch tablet for a week, not good.
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 31.08. 2017 00:34 »

PS off topic I know but I just got me PC back from repair shop, I have been flogging my old eyes on a ten inch tablet for a week, not good.

You want to be careful flogging your eyes too much. You could go blind.  *whistle*

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 31.08. 2017 09:45 »
nordlock washer are a 2 part washer with teeth which makes them easy to do up, but very difficult to undo, look at this website.  http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction/
I have used them on many things and they are a good replacement for tab washers, recently used them on the crown wheel on my guzzi as someone forgot to do up the tab washers in the past and it made a mess when the bolts came loose  and you can't buy them any more.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 31.08. 2017 10:40 »
nordlock washer are a 2 part washer with teeth

Ah I think I've seen them right enough

Thanks
All the best - Bill