Author Topic: Homemade solo seat for my 51 plunger  (Read 247 times)

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• Moving Up
Homemade solo seat for my 51 plunger
« on: 10.12. 2016 20:52 »
Hi guys, to anyone that's interested I thought I'd share what I've been up to in the workshop today.  My arms, hands, and fingers are well and truly suffering now but I'm pleased with the finished result.

I've completed my plunger solo seat pan today after hours of hammering 3mm cold rolled steel. Hard work  *work*

Firstly, I made a paper sketch, cut it out and transfered it onto the steel sheet.  I then used the jigsaw to cut it out.  I smoothed the edges with a flexible disk in the angle grinder.  Next is shaping. last week i decided to treat myself to a beating sandbag after wanting one for absolutely ages.  I waited a few days for it to turn up so I didn't get round to shaping until today.

Here's the sequence:

Offline Bedfordbeeza

• Moving Up
Re: Homemade solo seat for my 51 plunger
« Reply #1 on: 10.12. 2016 20:54 »
Few more to completion, just needs a fine bit of planishing and some nice black leather!!!!

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.09. 2017 05:07 »
 I remembered reading this so thought I'd chase it up... not everyones stuff I guess,  but kinda something that may work for me... credit to yea... *wink2*
  My only curiosity is 3mm steel is a bit hard-core but if that's what is at hand fair enough(like my oil drum prototype) 3mm ally or 1.6 - 2mm stainless would be my choice.

Anyway how'd it work out- any pics and road test of final product ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 05.09. 2017 09:18 »
Where did you get the sandbag from?