Author Topic: Better than Gunk  (Read 646 times)

Online A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Better than Gunk
« on: 01.09. 2017 17:38 »
I am trying to clean a filthy BSA 650 engine. It is covered in oily grim. The engine is in frame so cannot aqua blast it. My Gunk is not touching the mess, is there anything stronger on the market.
It is the inner crankcases that are affected, not the polished outer covers. Thanks.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Better than Gunk
« Reply #1 on: 01.09. 2017 18:23 »
Paraffin/kerosine followed by strong detergent solution followed by clean hot water preferably applied from a compressed air spray gun and agitated with paint brush and tooth brush, (best not to use wifeys electric toothbrush). Blow dry with compressed air. I have used petrol but that's a bit risky.

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.09. 2017 19:33 »
 I dont know if its available over there, but if you can get hold of Oderless Mineral Spirits it works great.

The odor is not bad, but still do it outside.

Use stiff, nylon bristle brushes.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Bsareg

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 01.09. 2017 19:35 »
I've found cellulose thinners (gun wash) to shift almost anything, even baked on castor but must be wiped off before it dries.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.09. 2017 20:27 »
I dont know if its available over there, but if you can get hold of Oderless Mineral Spirits it works great.
Is that what we in the UK call White Spirit? Used for diluting oil based house paint and cleaning brushes?

Offline Bsareg

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 01.09. 2017 22:08 »
Thinners is sold by garage suppliers for thinning the cellulose paint. A cheaper form is gunwash used for cleaning out the spray guns (less refined) . Not the same as white spirit, stinks like old fashioned sweets. Best kept away from paintwork but will pull carbon even off exhaust pipe.

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.09. 2017 02:27 »
GB,

I looked it up and Wikipedia says they are the same thing.

Over here we have stuff that barely smells at all. Most of my buddies use it in their parts washers because the stink doesn't drive you out of the shop.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Bsareg

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 02.09. 2017 09:32 »
Definitely not the same thing. In GB we use white spirit for cleaning paint brushes and thinning household type enamal paint. Cellulose thinners is the Base liquid that was used for cars etc ( before it was banned), will flash dry because very volatile, wouldn't want to use it in a parts washer. Its still availible over here for after market use

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.09. 2017 10:11 »
A product called "Marine Clean" supplied with tank lining kits is very good, it's not a solvent of any sort just a very powerful detergent, but do read the instructions, it requires thinning with water.

straight out of the plastic bottle it will leave a mark on polished alloy that needs to be buffed out at considerable amounts of elbow grease or a buffing wheel and wax, I'll leave you to work  out how I know this *conf*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.09. 2017 11:25 »
Definitely not the same thing. In GB we use white spirit for cleaning paint brushes and thinning household type enamal paint. Cellulose thinners is the Base liquid that was used for cars etc ( before it was banned), will flash dry because very volatile, wouldn't want to use it in a parts washer. Its still availible over here for after market use
I think we are not reading the previous posts properly  *smile* . I am asking if our White Spirit is the same as Oderless Mineral Spirits in the US. Others are talking about cellulose thinners. I think we all know they are not the same thing.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 02.09. 2017 12:31 »
I think we are not reading the previous posts properly

Who is  *smile*

I am trying to clean a filthy BSA 650 engine. It is covered in oily grim. The engine is in frame so cannot aqua blast it. My Gunk is not touching the mess, is there anything stronger on the market.

this was the original post surely GB
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 02.09. 2017 13:20 »
I think we are not reading the previous posts properly

Who is  *smile*

this was the original post surely GB
Don't call me Shirley!

Online A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 02.09. 2017 15:45 »
Thanks lads, will buy some chem's as advised, are you the original Greybeard that has been on here a long time or the other one on the other BSA Forum, confused.com. Regards A10 JWO which is my number plate.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 02.09. 2017 16:44 »
...are you the original Greybeard that has been on here a long time or the other one on the other BSA Forum...
That bloke is a fake! If you see him tell him I'll give him a Chinese burn if he doesn't change his handle!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 02.09. 2017 17:35 »
I'll give him a Chinese burn

that's the kind of threat Big Daddy would use - sure your not Shirely
All the best - Bill