Author Topic: Info on SRM part  (Read 1437 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Info on SRM part
« on: 09.09. 2017 08:53 »
I've had an email from SRM pushing pressure release valves.
http://shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product-category/oil-pressure-release-valves  Are they worth the money ?
Thanks,
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
Re: Info on SRM part
« Reply #1 on: 09.09. 2017 09:14 »
Snap! I got just received the same add, was looking at the Trumpy type and was thinking if they made a pop out type for us we would know we had oil pressure instead of believing we have oil pressure! *eek*
59 Super Rocket 

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.09. 2017 09:41 »
Fitted one along time ago and happy with it.

One issue with any PRV is getting suitable washers to seal them. I tried fibre and copper and eventually settled on aluminium crush washers as giving the best seal. Very cheap from a number of e bay sellers.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.09. 2017 10:30 »
Snap! I got just received the same add, was looking at the Trumpy type and was thinking if they made a pop out type for us we would know we had oil pressure instead of believing we have oil pressure! *eek*

The BSA one and the pop out one both claim to fit the T120, so would the pop out one also fit the BSA ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.09. 2017 18:42 »
Fitted one along time ago and happy with it.
Ditto
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 09.09. 2017 20:12 »
Fit a new SRM oil pump and the OPRV

"Worth every pound"

Oil pressure, controle and flow is vital for the BSA engine.
Thank "the lord" we don't have a Triumph oil pump in our BSA motor...

My late farther and I have used the new OPRV since 1995 and new oil pums since they came out from SRM.

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #6 on: 22.09. 2017 13:09 »
I can second the praise of them. An add that a very clever man in the Danish OC devised a test rig for the PRV's and all SRM ones checked out perfect, which many old original ones didn't.
Otto in Denmark

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.09. 2017 15:15 »

I think I jammed one in mine and I haaven't blown it up yet after 10k+miles  *doubt*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25.09. 2017 01:05 »
Surely its a ball and a spring what can go wrong?

A new ball, a new spring and provided it does not leak why would you spend 50 + quid on one?

I must be missing something somewhere cos I have had the same A10 since 1973 and other than a few new springs and balls on rebuilds I would not even know I had a PRV.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 25.09. 2017 03:41 »

Surely its a ball and a spring what can go wrong?

A new ball, a new spring and provided it does not leak why would you spend 50 + quid on one?

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling they revised the design and now have a piston and spring (?)... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 25.09. 2017 08:44 »
SRM design has been piston and spring for years and a nice part it is.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 25.09. 2017 11:14 »
Yes a very well made prv as with most of their products.   *smiley4*

ELLIS

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 25.09. 2017 14:13 »
I have SRM PRV and oil pump on my A10
Worth the money in my opinion

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #13 on: 04.10. 2017 04:27 »
I had an interesting conversation where it was highlighted to me that we should not assume the blow off hole in the cases aligns to the PRV vent (we should check they are aligned so that the blow off can do so) AND that it is worth sealing the several threads on end of the PRV so that we don't lose any oil pressure at idle.
Just something to consider.
I do run plunger rather than ball type valves on all my A10's
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 04.10. 2017 23:38 »
I like the stainless steel construction as well as the revised design.  Price is (Cough cough) a little steep IMHO but nature of the beast catering to small batch manufacturing.
I personally would NOT opt for the little willy version like early Triumphs had because its pretty obvious they can have challenges long term with leakage with a moving willy going in and out like that with fluctuations of pressure.
Only a plus if you have phallic exhibition tendencies.
However its is worth noting Triumph stopped using that design for similar reasons.
Better choice is a liquid filled Oil pressure gauge mounted in your choice of location.  You can source vintage style gauge faces if you like.  I personally believe fitting a gauge makes you a better rider, owner and caretaker of a vintage bike.  (Dont flog the beast with cold oil!)
I also often make my own LED idiot lights for pressure warnings.

Despite the improved design, even Triumph had issues with ther PRV and circa 66-67 there was a factory service bulletin for testing the PRV and what to watch out for.  But cleaning and service usually does the trick.  Norton INOA tech guide has also suggestions for the Norton versions and there is a procedure for testing and spring pressure.  I still have 3-4 new replacement springs in inventory for Nortons and every rebuild gets a good servicing of the PRV,,

They tend to be an item nobody looks at or thinks about until there is a problem
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.