Author Topic: Cylinder base nuts and washers  (Read 1933 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Cylinder base nuts and washers
« Reply #15 on: 31.08. 2017 11:00 »
"nordlock washers"

Not familiar with the name Richard, what do they look like?

Another option is Nyloc nuts, they have a nylon insert at the top of the nut that stops them unwinding

All the best - Bill

PS off topic I know but I just got me PC back from repair shop, I have been flogging my old eyes on a ten inch tablet for a week, not good.
Nylocks are never used where the part will get very hot cause the nylon melts and becomes a thread lubricant.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 31.08. 2017 17:22 »
I'm wondering just how hot the base of barrels gets

From the net
"THERMAL PROPERTIES Most nylon insert locknuts are manufactured from Zytel 101 which has an effective temperature range up to 250 ° F. Zytel 103 has a higher effective range to 350 ° F and can be special ordered for your higher heat applications."

and in any case the base nuts on my bikes are held with a plain washer and nothing else and have never had one slacken so even if the nylon softened the nut should still hold
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 31.08. 2017 21:28 »
G'day all.
I'm just using plain stainless steel flat washers on both my A's. The SS kit of studs, nuts and spring washers from Motalia. http://www.motalia.net/product_info.php?cPath=419&products_id=2852   I don't reuse spring washers so the next install I used flat washers. Haven"t had a nut move yet (I do re-torque after a few heat cycles).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 01.09. 2017 05:27 »
Two questions, Muskie. First, do you readjust the valve clearances after retightening the base nuts? Second, are you actually tightening to a measured torque, or using the well-adjusted force of an experienced arm?

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 01.09. 2017 11:03 »
well-adjusted force of an experienced arm?

For most folks tool kits not much in the way of other options when only a spanner will reach
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 01.09. 2017 12:40 »
Bill,

With the arithmetic  worked out you could pull on the box end of the spanner with a fish scale (not the shiny bits on fish skin). I am willing to bet that BSA did none-such on A10 base bolts in the factory.

Richard L.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 01.09. 2017 13:43 »
Yes check valve clearance after tightening cylinder base nuts.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 01.09. 2017 21:32 »
G'day Richard.
I use a crows foot spanner and torque wrench on all but that bugga at the front. That one gets the click of the wrist.
Yes whenever a nut or bolt above the case (base, head, rockerbox) is touched the tappets are reset.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 02.09. 2017 20:43 »
crows foot spanner

have I lived a sheltered life or memory leakage (don't answer that one) but a crows foot spanner - is it like an almost ring spanner
All the best - Bill

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 02.09. 2017 20:53 »
Like this, but need longer reach for cylinder nuts. Don't know of Muskie's is Whitworth, but you can get them custom made, so I've just learned.

Richard L.

http://m.sears.com/tools-wrenches-crowfoot-wrenches-sets/b-1214364367

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 03.09. 2017 00:39 »
 Yes,

and you can get all kinds of adapters for reaching difficult places with a torque wrench. Spend tons of money on do-dads and what-nots to get exactly 9.2 Nm of torque on a nut as long as you have the adapters at exactly a 43.9 degree angle.

Or you can just reach in with a wrench and tighten it down good. *smile*
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 03.09. 2017 09:02 »
Thanks guys, not what I was thinking about at all.
Honestly don't think I seen one of them before, think I'll stick with the Armstrong (or not so these days)

The thing I was thinking of is a ring spanner with a bit of the ring missing, tractor mechanics had them and called them injector spanners (the gap allowed it to be slipped over the injector pipe (oops OT again)
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 03.09. 2017 10:40 »

I never came across a crowfoot either Bill, but they do look like a handy idea....
The thing I was thinking of is a ring spanner with a bit of the ring missing, tractor mechanics had them and called them injector spanners (the gap allowed it to be slipped over the injector pipe (oops OT again)

those are also used for hydraulic brake lines- handy kit
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #28 on: 04.09. 2017 10:04 »
Thanks guys, not what I was thinking about at all.
Honestly don't think I seen one of them before, think I'll stick with the Armstrong (or not so these days)

Called a flair nut spannar and if you remember about twice as thick as a normal ring
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 25.09. 2017 01:37 »
You lot on here make me feel like a real bodge merchant at times  *smile*

I tighten them with a spanner FT when I build them. I check sometimes if its rattling a lot and I never redo the tappets afterwards.

I have never retorqued an A10 head in my life, the tappets get checked when they rattle a lot or it runs like a pig, the points get checked when it wont start anymore. A point in my favour is I do check the chains every 6 months or so  *smile*

I really must get a bit better on my maintainence I reckon