Author Topic: Stainless dual exhaust  (Read 848 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Stainless dual exhaust
« on: 22.09. 2017 12:49 »
 I have emailed Armours about a stainless system for my bike.

Its a 58 flash.

They informed me that a dual exhaust system can be ordered from them in stainless for 130 pounds.

I am thinking that unless the pipes are completely junk, stainless can be tweaked to fit and look OK. Unlike chrome that might be ruined by a good tweaking.

So far Armours is the only place in the world I have found that offers a stainless system. This is important to me because I have one of those sheds made out of cement block with a tin roof. Everything you store in there rusts quickly.

So to the guys who have ordered from Armours, and I know there is a lot of dissatisfied customers, were the pipes you got close enough to make work if you tweaked them?

I think these will not be returnable "no matter what", and shipping cost is going to kill me. So I want as much certainty as possible that these can be made to work before I order.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: Stainless dual exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 22.09. 2017 13:13 »
Mine fitted a treat, ordered 5 years ago and the finish was excellent.
The odd mishap ie. Kick start scuff was easy to polish out with very fine wet and dry.
So personally very pleased.
The mounting brackets for the silancers again in s/steel were very thin and one has cracked so replacements in thicker grade have been sourced and are standing up very well .
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 22.09. 2017 13:58 »
I have emailed Armours about a stainless system for my bike.

Its a 58 flash.

They informed me that a dual exhaust system can be ordered from them in stainless for 130 pounds.

I am thinking that unless the pipes are completely junk, stainless can be tweaked to fit and look OK. Unlike chrome that might be ruined by a good tweaking.

So far Armours is the only place in the world I have found that offers a stainless system. This is important to me because I have one of those sheds made out of cement block with a tin roof. Everything you store in there rusts quickly.

So to the guys who have ordered from Armours, and I know there is a lot of dissatisfied customers, were the pipes you got close enough to make work if you tweaked them?

I think these will not be returnable "no matter what", and shipping cost is going to kill me. So I want as much certainty as possible that these can be made to work before I order.

Lee

So Australia is on a different planet ?  *sad2*
Barry Bligh at Overlander Equipment
http://dropbears.com/overlander/classic.htm
AFAIK Barry is the only person who bends stainless with a 3 axis mandrel so all of his pipes are a one piece continious bend and not 16 standard flat bends all welded up together then polished off.
Then there is Paul Bryant in NZ who trades as Viking.
He does not list A 10 pipes but he does bend them, never been to his shop so don't know how he makes them http://www.vikingexhaust.com/products.asp-cat=BSA.htm
Or Viking Exhausts in NZ
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.09. 2017 14:26 »
 Can Australia really be considered as part of this planet.....do you know a guy that goes by Muskrat? ;) *smile*

Honestly, none of those people came up after long searches. If it does not come up on Google I am probably stuck.

I will have a look at these guys, I am not completely convinced Armours is the best choice but until your post it seemed the only choice.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.09. 2017 19:52 »
Hi All,
It looks like the Aus A10 pipe is $Aud 374 which is about £220  *????* if I 'm reading it correctly

I had to rework the Armours SS  siamese pipes quite a bit to get the result I wanted
The biggest issue is getting the lefthand pipe to be a good fit into the head, as the bend is very tight
I used an industrial pipe expander to get the end back to size, but had to grind away a chunk of the cooling ring to get it to sit against the head
The Armours pipe 2 into 1 joining piece thats welded into the RH pipe is made from a straight piece, not curved like the original
You can see the original shape here, https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11964.0
and my SR with modded Armours pipe, pic attached

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.09. 2017 09:20 »
Yes Armours SS is the go. And no, the fit is not perfect (on mine anyway), but usable, and if I wanted to I'd be able to adjust/bend the LH pipe to get it close to perfect. (Have a look at the geometry of the siamese system, and you might agree that it's actually near impossible to get a perfect fit). My siamese system is over 30 years old and can polish up good as new, -that's the beauty of SS.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.09. 2017 09:39 »
I was never happy with the Armour stainless 2 into 1- because of the fit of the left pipe and because of the upward kink in the righthand pipe which I though brought the silencer too close to the pillion footrest.

I was lucky and found an ancient stainless system on e bay - fitted perfectly including left pipe - which means that it can be done properly.

Researching the manufaturers mark turns out to be made back in the 1960s by a company called T and T Tubecraft. They dont do them anymore.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.09. 2017 13:19 »
...I was lucky and found an ancient stainless system on e bay - fitted perfectly including left pipe...
Perhaps Armours would be interested in borrowing your pipes as a pattern.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.09. 2017 13:47 »
Many years ago I bought a chome 2 into 1 system from them. It also fitted perfectly. No kink in right hand pipe.

So they did have a pattern which fitted..............

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 24.09. 2017 10:47 »
Hi All,
It looks like the Aus A10 pipe is $Aud 374 which is about £220  *????* if I 'm reading it correctly

I had to rework the Armours SS  siamese pipes quite a bit to get the result I wanted
The biggest issue is getting the lefthand pipe to be a good fit into the head, as the bend is very tight
I used an industrial pipe expander to get the end back to size, but had to grind away a chunk of the cooling ring to get it to sit against the head
The Armours pipe 2 into 1 joining piece thats welded into the RH pipe is made from a straight piece, not curved like the original
You can see the original shape here, https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11964.0
and my SR with modded Armours pipe, pic attached

John

Sounds about right.
Good excuse to come down under for the International next year.
The BSAOA are sending a container of bikes down here which of course have to come back and there will always be space for a couple of extra sets of pipes.
As for Musky, I have been known to be sitting on a stool next to him with a glass of red in one hand, although we don't get down his way too often.
Remember Australia is a big place, no chance of a John O Grotes to Lands End in 24 hours down here.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.09. 2017 14:32 »
Hi Trevor,

Good excuse to come down under for the International next year.

Nice thought  *ex*
But I'm booked to go on the trans USA Cannonball as roadie for a couple of guys in Sept 2018  *contract*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 25.09. 2017 14:00 »
So ?
There are a few doing both the cannonbal and the international
Bike Beesa
Trevor