Author Topic: BSA Starlite ??????????? Mopeds basically. eBay deal  (Read 437 times)

Online Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Never seen these before, basically resemble Italian mopeds or Puch or some such..

a matched pair (Him and hers?) Currently at $6000 + with a bunch of bids, Not my cup of tea but interesting.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-BSA-Starlite/232514724919?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

" Up for auction is a pair (2) 1965 BSA Starlites.  They will only be sold only as the pair!!!!

These two BSA Starlites were born in Birmingham, England in 1965.  They are three (3) chassis numbers apart.  They went down the
assembly line together, shipped to the United States together, and retailed to the original purchaser together.  They have been
together ever since, some 52 + years later.

They remain today unrestored and in their original running condition with the exception of the throttle cables, rubber foot pegs and
tool box rubber covers.  These were replaced with original NOS (new old stock) BSA factory parts, packaged in the original BSA
factory packaging with original part labels. The parts were purchased from the gentlemen who bought out the remaining Starlite parts
from the BSA Distributor when they went out of business.  In addition, the two license plate brackets were resprayed in black lacquer
and brought back to their original color condition.  One of the Starlites has 594 miles on the speedometer and the other has 320 miles.

NOTE: They are sold with a bill of sale only.  They are not registered or licienced.  ebay does not have a box to check for "bill of sale" so I checked the box as clear.

BSA Starlite/Beagle were produced during 1964/65 (18 months).  Starlite (colored red/ivory) as it was known to the U.S. market and Beagle (colored green/ivory) as it was known in the U.K.  3,214 units were produced in total of which 573 were sent to the U.S. market.  Of the 573, 277 went to Hap Alzina west coast BSA distributor, Oakland, California and 296 went to BSA New Jersey to supply the east coast.

How many are left in the U.S. today after 50 + years later is unknown.  They are extreemly rare to find especially in this original running condition and rarely come up for sale in both the U.S. and European markets.  I know this from owning Starlites (3) over the last eight years and watching the markets.

Influenced by Edward Turner (famous for the Ariel Square Four and the Triumph Speed Twin), the Starlite/Beagle had been rushed out of production by BSA to try and compete in a market they were loosing to the imports.  Italian lightweight motorcycles excellent reputation and the revolutionary Honda 4 stroke models had just started to arrive.  This was BSA’s answer to the Honda 90.

Feel free to ask any questions or ask for additional pictures.  Thanks for looking.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA Starlite ??????????? Mopeds basically. eBay deal
« Reply #1 on: 12.10. 2017 06:35 »
Expensive, until the greater fool pays you even more when you sell them on.

Online Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 12.10. 2017 07:21 »
A fool & his money soon part ways....   
But  foolishness is relative. Most rational people would say any vintage car or motorcycle is a fools dream and useless, a waste of resources. Scrap them all and drive a Smug car prius.

I have no interest in purchasing one of those weird little BSAs, never saw one before and think they are grossly over priced at current bidding.  But they ARE interesting.   A couple years back a local guy showed up at a local vintage club bike show and displayed 10-12 Honda mini bikes.  Seemingly everyone in a different color.  He said he got a pair of them and was restoring them just for fun but keep buying more of them for parts and the whole thing got out of hand.  I dont know what he spent, but he gets a LOT of offers to bring them to shows as they are a big attraction.

People walked away from the Vincents, Goldies, Bonnies and people fawned all over those minibikes.  He gets lots of offers to sell them and I am told some surprisingly large amounts of money is offered.    I know a few people with large egos and known as trophy whores and several of them were quite upset they did not get the attention they felt they deserved and people kept drooling over some old minibikes.  So, horses for courses I guess. 

I would think showing up at a event with the pair of these BSAs would turn a LOT of heads,  The NorCal BSA club from time to time has some attractive young woman attend events dressed up in wild attire (Sometimes a revealing bikini, but I heard cocktail dress and heels on one occasion) and assumes the role of the clubs mascot "Miss Maggie Neato" (She also has a sexual innuendo advice column in their newsletter answering such questions about chome nipple polishing and other suggestive topics) 

Sadly the NorCal BSA clubs (and other related Britt bike clubs help) hosting of the annual "Clubmans show" is apparently NO-MORE, but I bet a podium winning trophy would be secured if you brought these little bikes to the show and your chances would expand exponentially if you had 2 young ladies in period 60s Go-Go girl attire modeling with the bikes during the show.

At our local museum, I hired a local model and she has a profile on a modeling website called "ModelMayhem".  Miss CJ the Model.  She was great and really made our show excellent, all the old guys swooned, we featured her in our club/museum newsletter and she had requests all day to pose with members and guests vehicles.  Cost me $150 and paid her lunch, and bought her some antique at the swap meet she liked.   Best money we ever spent. 
Because some of our members are quite conservative and a big fuss was made earlier with some other models in front of our facilities, We had to keep things very PG to avoid controversy.  I Have tons of pictures of her that day with members bikes, presenting trophys and modeling in front of the museums display vehicles but the file sizes are too large to post here.

But here is a little more risque picture but still SHOULD be within forum guidelines,,   
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3 on: 12.10. 2017 10:14 »
Here in the frozen North we have Carole Nash Insurance fine young and seriouisly underclad young ladies brightening up the bike shows. Sigh. But the comments possibly aren't quite what might be expected. "Are ye no frozen, hen? Want a len o' a jumper" being typical. They say romance isn't dead...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.10. 2017 12:05 »
But meanwhile, they were known as the 'Beagle' here I think.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 12.10. 2017 13:04 »
Thats correct, There were quite a few other names for them as well if I remember particularly from our workshop where they spent a fair amount of time !! *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online BritTwit

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 12.10. 2017 15:06 »
I have an Eastern BSA USA dealer bulletin that refers to them as "Red Star".

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 12.10. 2017 17:08 »
Dreadful things!

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 12.10. 2017 17:30 »
Wow - 'Red Flash'. And so car like too. Fuel tank looks familiar.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live

Online Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 16.10. 2017 19:00 »
The ones on ebay ended at $8,000 for the pair and 18 bids,  Seems not all bidders complete transactions these days so hard to say if it was a legit sale or not.   Used to be we just said "Deadbeat bidders not tolerated" and back then you could leave a negative rating for a buyer if they behaved badly.  Not anymore and your listings are flagged and cancelled if you use offensive language like "Deadbeat bidders" Because apparently that is offensive for some reason.
And maybe its just me but when you cater to a market that refuses to honor their commitments, then I lose all respect.

Tangent aside,, it was an interesting auction and little BSAs i was not familar with.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 17.10. 2017 18:41 »
Makes the low mileage one on this side of the pond look like a bargain at £1200 ono.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.10. 2017 19:35 »
Makes the low mileage one on this side of the pond look like a bargain at £1200 ono.

BSA Beagles only ever did "low mileage."

Online Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 17.10. 2017 20:41 »
" Ran when parked" is another popular saying............