Author Topic: BSA Wipac handlebar switch: info needed  (Read 1826 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
BSA Wipac handlebar switch: info needed
« on: 19.10. 2017 06:49 »
Hi all,
Can someone please confirm the correct wiring for the five coloured wires.
They are:
Red (#1)
Red (#2)
Pink
Brown
Black

The three functions are:
1 - headlight dipper (high beam, or low beam)
2 - Horn
3 - Kill switch

Thanks,

Richard

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA Wipac handlebar switch: info needed
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2017 10:14 »

That'll be the one that's also called the 'Tricon'/ 'Ducon' ?? 

I await with bated breath....no idea what that means, but an appropriate cliche (with one o those things over the 'e')...I just experimented with my dyslexia, di ok but but somehow ended up with HI/LO arseabout...but used my own coloured wires and have a Lightning type kill switch/button anyway, so can't really help, but mine works ok
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.10. 2017 11:02 »
The wiring you describe sounds like that attached to a pattern switch rather than the colours from an A10 harness.

If you lift the chrome ring after removing the clamping grub screw you will figure out which goes to which.

Wiring diagram from Wipac attached.

There were 3 similar switches, the Ducon with just dip and horn, The Tricon with dip, horn and stop and the triconsul with dip horn and headlight flash. Photos attached for info.

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.10. 2017 16:42 »
As it happens, I'm wiring my goldie tricon up today. Two reds are dip and head, brown goes to headlamp switch. Black to black button (I'm using that for horn) , pink to red button (I'm going to use that for an electric starter) but can be used for engine stop. As both buttons earth their respective wires, you can use either way round. Don't forget to clean inside of the bar clamps to ensure a good earth (I've been caught out by that one).
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 19.10. 2017 17:58 »
I recently bought one of the replica tricon switches to fit on my Golden Flash, which going by the wiring colours I think may be the same as yours. I haven't fitted it yet but I have just updated my wiring diagram in preparation based on looking at the switches connections. See photos.

When I bought my GF its wiring was a mismatch of colours so I rewired it based on a 1960 A10 police diagram (all I could find for my model year). It was done months ago so I can confirm that everything works as it should but must emphasise that the tricon has still to be tried and tested but I'm pretty confident it's ok.

So, looking at the switch I have; my figuring was: reds to headlight main & dip, pink to lighting switch, Black & brown to horn (black button), brown to cut out (red button).

1960 Golden Flash

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19.10. 2017 19:25 »
Looks the same as mine  except the brown and pink are transposed. So much for quality control! Who can say which is correct but get them wrong and the fuse will blow when the headlamp is on and the button pressed
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 19.10. 2017 20:05 »
If the cable colours are in different places on these switches then be safe and do what Julian suggests, take it apart to see what the connections in the actual switch do. If you want you can easily move the wires around to suit.

The middle of the three connections that are close together supplies the power from the light switch, the two either side of it are the contacts to switch from main to dip, the other two connections are earth for the horn and the cut out. The switch itself picks up earth from being clamped to the handlebars as shown in my wiring diagram.

Photo of me in 1966 on my Nutley Blue Golden Flash with a tricon (then a genuine Wipac) switch on left handlebar between grip and lever. Also note throttle cable position is at top (can't remember why - but must have been the best position for me at the time) and the rubber covers on the levers - 1960s version of today's heated grips!

1960 Golden Flash