Author Topic: 12v batteries  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 12v batteries
« Reply #30 on: 17.10. 2017 16:31 »
Halfords do LED 12v stop/tail lights. Hoping that Paul Goff's LED headlights are better than the Classic Dynamo Restorations BPF ones I tried. Great for being seen, hopeless to see by.

Got screwed over by Goffy on my last order.  Sent me a 12V coil when I had very clearly ordered one for 6V. All then swapped - except I had the hassle and cost of return. No offer of remuneration, which I then queried. I asked to be credited through my PayPal account but this has also failed to materialise.

Smacks of sharp business practice and poor service. Not impressed.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 17.10. 2017 19:10 »
Perhaps I'm just lucky. but I have always had good service and never had to return anything.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 17.10. 2017 20:16 »
the classic dynamo LEd headlight unit is a double dip type which is not that good
yes their double dipper is inadequate in my view too. but their 5th gen LED is up to the task (12v and 6v options) and i think still the best around.
yes there are a lot of rubbish LEDs out there, especially older and cheaper designs. search the forum where these debates have been had
(see, the LED debate started again)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 19.10. 2017 11:34 »
Hi All,

Here's my update as promised:-

Replaced V-Reg II with DVR2 yesterday, same wiring so a very quick and easy job, one out, one in! In the garage with bike on the main stand it took enough revs to move the bike backwards before the ammeter needle flicked to charge so went for a test ride up the road and back and was happy to see the ammeter needle flicking to charge when there was enough but not excessive revs.

Also LEDs were delivered yesterday so fitted those also. Tail light was just a simple replacement of the bulb. The pilot light was just a little more work because it has a rubber bulb holder so it doesn't make an earth like the original one - so there's two wires. Soldered on connectors and fixed the earth to one of nachelle bolts. Switched on lights and was amazed. Photos attached. As you can see the pilot light, which apparently only consumes 1.5v is far brighter than the 38W dip - and even lights up the garage.

So, in conclusion, in my opinion it was definitely worth doing.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 19.10. 2017 17:17 »
Is the brake light a lot brighter than the tail light?

It has to be, for traffic behind you to notice it.  Some LEDs fall down on that.

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 19.10. 2017 21:28 »
Hi, yes it is brighter. Picture taken was of the tail light - not stop light. I'll take photos of both tail and stop lights tomorrow so both taken at same time for fair comparison and publish here.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #36 on: 20.10. 2017 08:19 »
the classic dynamo LED headlight unit is a double dip type which is not that good on dipped beam as it does not put a lot of light down the middle of the road, lights up the edges fine, Paul Goffs one  gives a more conventional beam  with an asymmetric dip, much better, i have seen some very cheap LED units about and they are rubbish.

The problem with the double dip is it uses a single CREE LED that has a 120 deg beam spread to replace a 360 deg beam spread incandessent globe.
Thus it only reflects from 1/3 of your reflector so even with both LEDs energized the best you can get is 2/3 the beam spread of the old globe.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #37 on: 20.10. 2017 23:10 »
LED tail & stop light comparison day and night.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 21.10. 2017 17:23 »
Interesting thanks.

I may invest in something like that, now that I’ve got an electronic ignition set.

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #39 on: 21.10. 2017 19:07 »
My LEDs were bought from Paul Goff (http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm). I don't ride a lot in the dark so most important for me was the 1.5v low consumption of the stop light, which seems to be on more than off in today's traffic.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 21.10. 2017 23:00 »

Posted by: RogerSB
« on: Today at 05:07:29 »

.     ...... I don't ride a lot in the dark so most important for me was the 1.5v low consumption of the stop light, ...............

Maybe you mean 1.5A ? I think that's what mine uses all-up when it works   *conf*

Edit an hour later; Just realised while checking my consumption, that my brake/tail only half work so need replacement, might try the ones in here (for Oz folk) ;-

https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=187

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #41 on: 22.10. 2017 02:48 »
Dutch
LEDs keep getting better, but when I last read about plug-in bulb replacements they sure needed to. I'd want to find some reviews from bike owners or similar before I'd want one of those. The LED boards have a lot more LEDs on them and hence brighter, and more $$
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 22.10. 2017 03:58 »
 1/3 time at GP..

Yo mike,  don't disagree,  but the pilot light and brake/tail I've been using for a while work fine (when they work fully- I've been through a couple of each), and these ones listed are cheaper than the others (x 1/4), so am happy to give  them a whirl.
 I sometimes run the pilot during the day or early morning runs to work and have been reminded  I've left it on, so for someone else to see it can't be all that bad, and I think it only draws about 0.08A...

These are what I  more specifically had in mind,  just got lazy and pasted the lot...

https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/6-volt-LED-brake-tail-bulb
 https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/6-volt-ba9s-small-bayonet-led-australia
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #43 on: 22.10. 2017 07:06 »
LED stop/tail lights are excellent. The advantage is that in the dark, as you slow for a corner and brake, your headlight doesn't dim as the stop light comes on. I don't like LED instrument lights. Not a nice colour and I do like having a hint of warmth from the 2.2W incandescent bulbs helping to keep the precious chronometrics dry.
I am yet to be convinced that an LED headlight bulb is good for night riding. As long as you have decent wiring and use wires as earths leads rather than earthing through the frame, even the humble 30/24 BPF bulb takes some beating.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #44 on: 22.10. 2017 10:30 »
Whoops! Well spotted duTch and thanks for pointing it out (no idea what I was thinking).

To clarify: LED Pilot light is 1.5W. LED Tail is 1.25W and LED stop is 4W.

So, in amps to my reckoning that's 0.125Ah for pilot, 0.105Ah for tail and 0.33Ah for stop.

Compared to my previous incandescent bulbs which was 4W Pilot bulb (0.33Ah), 5W tail (0.42Ah) and 21W stop (1.75Ah).

1960 Golden Flash