Author Topic: Cost of spraying a tank.  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Cost of spraying a tank.
« Reply #45 on: 31.10. 2017 10:23 »
The D shaped Speedo was only 2s 6p brand new.
What we forget is that was a full days wages
To explain to foreign readers and those born after 1970; that's two shillings and sixpence, about twelve and a half UK new pence. Probably about $0.16 or €0.14
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 31.10. 2017 16:37 »
To explain to foreign readers and those born after 1970; that's two shillings and sixpence, about twelve and a half UK new pence. Probably about $0.16 or €0.14

Half a Crown
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 31.10. 2017 19:50 »

Quote from: Greybeard on October 31, 2017, 20:23:35

Quote from: BSA_54A10 on October 31, 2017, 19:20:05

I've failed; would've ripped myself off, I thought pence was pence and a shilling was ten pence, & 2 shilling = 20 pence, so 2/6  =25p  *conf*.....or at least that's how it happened here in '66   *conf2* (except 1 S =10c & 100c=1$,& somehow au£1= $2 )
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #48 on: 31.10. 2017 21:29 »
hi guys, Dutch we all got ripped off the old shilling (12 Penny,s) morphed into 10cents, we lost 2 Pennies somewhere lucky i did not have to many shillings in the days!!!, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 31.10. 2017 21:44 »

I've failed; would've ripped myself off, I thought pence was pence and a shilling was ten pence, & 2 shilling = 20 pence, so 2/6  =25p  *conf* .....or at least that's how it happened here in '66   *conf2* (except 1 S =10c & 100c=1$,& somehow au£1= $2 )

Strange; I could have sworn I'd already replied to this!

Pre 1971 UK pound had 240 pennies. After decimalisation pound had 100 New Pence. 2 Shilling and 6 pence became 12.5 New Pence.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 01.11. 2017 04:42 »

..Strange; I could have sworn I'd already replied to this!

Pre 1971 UK pound had 240 pennies. After decim....ation pound had 100 New Pence. 2 Shilling and 6 pence became 12.5 New Pence..

Dunno, but see what i did there *smile*.... so you got one for two and we got two for one... *conf*

Anyway back to paint costing... when I was debating what colour to do mine, I  couldn't decide whether to do a red or a blue, as it'd been various of both since I  first built it.
 I decided to use rattle cans and do one side red and one side blue, but quickly decided it was a crap idea and switched it around,  two cans was about $15 and I still have heaps left.
  When it was done and thrown together I realised it looked like it had landed on a police car- but no one died.... I found that amusing.. *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #51 on: 01.11. 2017 05:31 »
Thats not unheard of, I have seen several HDs including a race bike I have a picture of, but just looked and cant find it, But HD Orange and Black is an institutional coloring for them and some bikes have been done in one color scheme on one side (From Left-Orange w/black trim) and opposite on other side (Right side Black w/ Orange trim),
But why not do it in a wrap of the Union jack?  I was thinking of getting a quote locally as the cost of those wrap material (Can peel it off at any time) is quite low these days...

I believe I told the story on this forum of a Norton club member who tired of grief from a OCD member about his bikes appearance and went to the fabric store and bought Tartan plaid fabric and glued it on to his body work... 

I have a friend in Florida who lives in a uptight neighborhood and he always has a lot of motorcycle and car projects and has had many complaints about the issue.  At one point the center of contention was a Ford Galaxy in his driveway with no motor and trans and a rock under one of the wheels to keep it from rolling out of his driveway.  Being a bit dramatic the crisis went to silly levels and being a bit odd by most peoples standards he decided to take it to a new level.

He DID do a taped out/masked off layout and DID do it with brush and rollers but painted it in the American flag paint scheme.  Erected a flag pole and some political signs..  It was quite amusing at the time and I believe he got some news coverage.  Home owners assoc and regional govt,, he kept yelling "Why do you hate our freedom?"  You have to understand the warped mindset of Florida USA and Southern red neck culture to fully appreciate it.   Yard art!
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #52 on: 01.11. 2017 06:22 »
Tartan tank? It has been done before...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 01.11. 2017 08:41 »

...........But why not do it in a wrap of the Union jack?.......
  *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

*fight*  *bash**fight*  *bash**fight* *beer* *beer* *fight*  *bash**fight* *bash* *fight*..... *beer* *beer* *beer*

there is no place for one o dem down 'ere   
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #54 on: 01.11. 2017 09:50 »
Well, as a former penal colony, I can see some might find that a sore subject.   But I am in the US and I think its just fine to have a union jack flag on my motorcycle, For a while the local Harley Dealer had a weekend free BBQ and often live music.  Several friends would ride down and park their British bikes right by the front door of the dealership and enjoy the free food, reasoning that the corporate HD types didnt intend for some British bike riders show up to sully their branding and marketing.
Now however that same dealer is a HD-Trumph dealership so,,, not as amusing anymore.

I found a deal on Union jack themed Sweat shirts at a significant discount. Sent a link to a few friends across the US who also appreciate British bikes....... he thought they were cool but felt with the low IQ of most people in Florida most would think its some sort of Confederate battle flag,

So its all relative!   *smiley4*

John player special instead?  Gulf racing colors?

**EDIT** I was tired when I wrote that, and missed a part in there, I also tried to find the email and could not but it was really funny how my friend wrote it but I meant to say that a friend of mine in Florida (not native-a Michigan transplant) often comments on issues there and discussed that Union Jack sweatshirt I sent a link too and commented that many in the south and especially Florida were too ignorant to know what it was, and the moron elements would think its a Confederate battle flag,    He is a school teacher and works with some of the more troubled kids so Is a bit jaded

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 01.11. 2017 10:35 »
...felt with the low IQ of most people in Florida most would think its some sort of Confederate battle flag,
*smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 01.11. 2017 18:48 »
..felt with the low IQ of most people in Florida most would think its some sort of Confederate battle flag,

with respect for our American friends - expect a twit from the Donald (could I have phrased that better)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #57 on: 01.11. 2017 19:10 »
I edited the above post, as I was tired when I wrote that. And we are getting way off topic, BUT,,  That friend of mine in Florida writes some great material.  As a non-native transplant he often writes some really amusing insights about life in that area as well as his many projects, motorcycles, cars, & other projects.

He also as an avid motorcycle guy is not far from Daytona and endless streams of commentary about the "Biker Culture"  He is slowly getting some of his writing together, but some of it is incompatible with his day job. The multi part story of his neighbors down the street "Old man drywaller & the Crack whore" was epic.

We all see some questionable motorcycles at times and I often share links to bikes for sale to friends that are interesting and in response to a Triumph Chopper on ebay he wrote the following,,,

“Green Dragon” by Aron Travis, revised January, 2015

That, is the '70's Dairy Queen chopper in a nutshell. Amusing, in a good way. Oh the poor disco
hipster, no real mechanical ability, but firmly convinced that having a chopper will finally get Margaret the
chubby waitress at the A&W to touch the bulge in his 28" waist jeans, and will erase his current nickname
‘Sir Gangly’ to be converted to a fresh virile nom de guerre like ‘Fuck Hammer’. Bolt on the chopper seat
with sissy bar, the fork extensions, "Round headlights are so square maaaaaaaaan.", and wiggle around one
summer in maximum pose.

It all ended when he scrapped the ear off of his 14 year old cousin during 1.3 seconds of wide open
throttle in front of Donald's Burger House. Lisa the feathered haired foxy cousin paid with orange circus
peanuts to ride on the back as some semblance of heterosexuality proof; a big wobble and slide through the
intersection of Pine and Avenue D, Lisa crying while holding her bloody orange circus peanuts 'Now they're
no good, they got road on them you dork!', concluding with a sound cuffing by Uncle Bob, “I said stay away
from your cousin AND the A&W!”

Little did he realize that this also foiled his destiny to become the first teenager to think Gluteus
Maximus would be a great nrop actor name as that thought vaporized when his cranium met the double
yellow line, 'not born to be wild, anymore' as his memories melted like a double dipped cookie cone on the
sun baked picnic table of adolescence.

For years he was mocked as "Hey, isn't that the dick that wiped in front of Don's BH and almost
killed some chick kid?"

Forty three years later the humiliation has faded just enough that The Green Dragon will see the light
of day, to be hawked on ebay for too much money as the guy finally saw on TV that all choppers are worth
buckets of cash. "Hey mom, drag the Green Dragon out of the shed. No I'm not going to ride it!"

**The software on this site obliterates some bad words but missed some on this post, but he wrote P O R N
Actor,,  not nrop

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 01.11. 2017 19:26 »

I've failed; would've ripped myself off, I thought pence was pence and a shilling was ten pence, & 2 shilling = 20 pence, so 2/6  =25p  *conf* .....or at least that's how it happened here in '66   *conf2* (except 1 S =10c & 100c=1$,& somehow au£1= $2 )

Strange; I could have sworn I'd already replied to this!

Pre 1971 UK pound had 240 pennies. After decimalisation pound had 100 New Pence. 2 Shilling and 6 pence became 12.5 New Pence.
or 2 and a tanner

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #59 on: 09.11. 2017 09:08 »
To illustrate what I was talking about with vehicle wraps....

This clearly is NOT BSA,, but the cost of the vehicle wrap stuff is very affordable and amazing results.  I have all the original files and materials from Norton America  (That is a story in itself, but I have authorization from Stuart as long as I promote the brand in a positive manner,, so YEAH!! Norton UK!!!...  *smile*)..

But all my original files and pix are too large for this forum.  (I have all the model shoots for the US Norton girls marketing and posted this one on a Buell forum, but I have hundreds of them).  Anyrate this is the product launch back in mid 2000s of the Norton America brand at Laguna Seca. Thats a VAN DAMM Trucking vehicle and for a small fee they got to wrap the entire truck and the driver said it turned heads where ever he went.  Was great advertising, they paid to have the truck at the launch as it made them look really pro, despite the fact the real deal was on a shoe string budget.

Ironically, That CNW feller went out and copied the idea and had a similar (Remarkably similar,,,,,hmmm?) display at Barber this year. Same Trucking company.

So, I volunteer with a car and motorcycle museum and do a lot of displays and events to promote the museum (And the Norton America story is a unique chapter in my local  area, so very significant)  So many of the members have had their vehicles done in wraps of various designs promoting the museum and many of us have cargo trailers and similarly decorated again promoting the museum.  I have a 20 foot trailer (Wells Cargo) and very nice but for security reasons I have not done a wrap on mine.  But I do have large banners I hang off it at events. 

But my point here is, if you can create a good high resolution image, or get someone to make you one you can get any kind of wrap made you like.  (There is some amusing ideas online,,For example a plumbers shop truck and on the door it makes it look like the driver is on the toilet while driving)

There is also a new process around last couple years called "Hydroforming" and they can shrink special wrap materials around complex shapes and the material can take any form you like such as carbon fibre, engine turning, brushed stainless, etc.   So, kind of out there for an old BSA,, but you could do a Union Jack, Pirates flag, Checkerboard flags, or whatever design you like for pretty cheap.  best thing is if you change your mind later you merely peel the material off.