Author Topic: Plain bearing vs roller conversion  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
Re: Plain bearing vs roller conversion
« Reply #30 on: 26.11. 2017 23:21 »
Hi Dutch, Harvey,
I did also wonder whether Mr Eicher competed in the 1986 Paris-Dakar.
Clearly the article was written just as the 1986 Rally was commencing.
I have been unable to find any reference to whether he competed in 1986, and suspect he didn't.
It appears from the article that he was planning to do so right up to the start of the 1986 event.
So I have just emailed him to ask. His website is at http://www.eicher-classic.ch/.
Awaiting his reply and will advise.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Offline rocker21

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #31 on: 29.11. 2017 10:22 »
many years ago back in the late 60's there was a firm that did a pure needle roller conversion that had a thrust washer made from phosphor bronze fitted to the timing side and all the bronze bushes were replaced by needle roller bearings, this was before devimead did it, i still have this engine in my loft, it was highly tuned with a polydine cam, 9:1 pistons, gardener carb and many other mods and it went like the clappers, no low down power and a very rough tick over, but it is still on that original needle roller timing side bearing, one major problem with fitting needle rollers to the idler shaft was oil getting in to the dynamo as there was no seal, nowdays you can get those bearings with a seal built in so that would cure the problem. building another engine on simalar lines but with a 357 cam instaed of the polydine as that would be dificult to ride in modern traffic.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 29.11. 2017 14:17 »
many years ago back in the late 60's there was a firm that did a pure needle roller conversion that had a thrust washer made from phosphor bronze fitted to the timing side and all the bronze bushes were replaced by needle roller bearings, this was before devimead did it, i still have this engine in my loft
They last forever if you keep em in your loft!  *smile*

Offline rocker21

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #33 on: 29.11. 2017 16:01 »
did a lot of miles on it, as it was my only set of wheels at the time so it went every where including a trip to the italian lakes 2 up , proved very reliable although a bit intractable at slow speeds , i think the filtrate 20/50 plus oil helped a lot. pity it is no longer available, then i changed to a castrol strait oil with a graphite aditive and that seemed to work ok, going to rebuild it and put it into a light frame to have a go at hill climbing, seems like a bit of fun that. got a couple of other projects i need to finish first.