Author Topic: The quietest silencers?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
The quietest silencers?
« on: 02.11. 2017 14:31 »
I've got my A10 plunger + sidecar going nicely but I want to quieten the exhausts. At the moment, I'm running some long megaphone exhausts that I bought at a auto jumble, modified and fitted to my bike. My first thought was to remove the baffle and fit new acoustic wadding. This didn't go very well as the Baffles are stuck in the silencer extremely well (yes I have grinder away welds/rivets that keep them in place) in fact, I've pretty much destroyed the end of the silencer but the baffle still won't move a an inch outwards.

Anyway, so I'm thinking of buying a pair of standard plunger silencers from Armours Ltd (UK) but thought it'd be best to ask how loud everybody else 'standard' silencer are on their bikes or if there are any other super quiet silencers that might fit the bike. I want to make the bike quieter for the sake of my dogs hearing (who sits in the sidecar). Under 100 or 85dB would be ideal.
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: The quietest silencers?
« Reply #1 on: 02.11. 2017 14:46 »
 If I was doing what your doing, I would look at the silencers from a Goldwing, or an Interstate and investigate those for your purpose.

I have no idea if they could be made to work, but my friend and his wife drive a goldwing all over and you can hardly hear that bike run.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.11. 2017 14:47 »
Your not name wallace by any chance are you ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3 on: 02.11. 2017 17:13 »
Armours silencers are generally straight through and not quiet. I got some 1cm wire mesh (as used for hamster cages etc) and rolled it up and stuffed it into the silencers to take the edge off the noise. It helps.
The gigantic silencers from an Indian Enfield Bullet would work if you can get them to fit.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 02.11. 2017 17:43 »
Those late Commando silencers were quiet, might look odd on your bike albeit I think they fitted them to some late Triumphs. They look impressive but were too quiet for me.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.11. 2017 21:02 »
I've got my A10 plunger + sidecar going nicely but I want to quieten the exhausts. At the moment, I'm running some long megaphone exhausts that I bought at a auto jumble, modified and fitted to my bike. My first thought was to remove the baffle and fit new acoustic wadding. This didn't go very well as the Baffles are stuck in the silencer extremely well (yes I have grinder away welds/rivets that keep them in place) in fact, I've pretty much destroyed the end of the silencer but the baffle still won't move a an inch outwards.

Anyway, so I'm thinking of buying a pair of standard plunger silencers from Armours Ltd (UK) but thought it'd be best to ask how loud everybody else 'standard' silencer are on their bikes or if there are any other super quiet silencers that might fit the bike. I want to make the bike quieter for the sake of my dogs hearing (who sits in the sidecar). Under 100 or 85dB would be ideal.

A mate has early (t120) Triumph unit pattern silencers on his a10 that are very quiet, the early type are like these on the link, but without the semi reverse cone bit on the end (a quick search did not find the earlier shorter type).

The early type look ok on an a10, the longer/later  "pea shooter" type not so (just my opinion!)

https://www.britishbikebits.com/chrome-cigar-shape-silencers-uk-made-triumph-tr7-t140-t150#.WfuFkdHRWhA

Edit: I think these might be the early type, I'd forgotten these were also fitted to the a65

https://www.britishbikebits.com/mega-type-chrome-silencer-for-bsa-triumph-1971-73#.WfuHj9HRWhA
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Alex

• New
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2017 23:59 »
Hello Owain ,
the easiest andway to reduce the loudness of your pipes will be to install some db eaters.
They are available in many different Designs and Vatiations with ebay.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Alex

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 03.11. 2017 02:08 »
go for the standard plunger silencers as brackets are in correct place as well as being quieter.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 03.11. 2017 05:11 »
I have some standard Hinkley Bonneville mufflers that are perfect for this but the postage would be a killer! Perhaps ask the muffler suppliers if the mufflers they supply are quiet, before putting down your hard earned. I would recommend Feked for mufflers.
59 Super Rocket 

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 03.11. 2017 12:36 »
In general, stainless pipes & mufflers will be quieter than chromed steel ones because Stainless is substantially denser than steel and thus nowhere near as resonant.

Cheapie solution is a pair of those Decibelle copies.
Remove the baffle and all of the wadding.
Weld a washer to the input end of the baffle and reassemble.
If you want to go the whole hog, weld a nut the the middle of the 7 tube exit of the muffler then make up some round plates with holes in them so you can adust the number of exit holes from 1 to 6.
You will be amazed at just how quiet an almost unrestricted exhaust can be.

Lastly, make up a "Brooklands Can" by getting a longer exhaust pipe made then drilling the end of the exhaust pile in a spiral pattern of 3 or 4 lines then again welding a washer over the open end of the exhaust pipe.
Again almost no restriction to gas flow but a massive sound reduction
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.11. 2017 14:44 »
I have some standard Hinkley Bonneville mufflers that are perfect for this but the postage would be a killer! Perhaps ask the muffler suppliers if the mufflers they supply are quiet, before putting down your hard earned. I would recommend Feked for mufflers.
I got my Plunger system from Feked. Good quality. I wouldn't say the bike is quiet, but are any of these machines quiet? Maybe you need a Kawasaki W650 or W800. They are whisper quiet with the standard exhaust.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.11. 2017 18:21 »
I have Campbells (stamped as such) and no way would I want them to sound any different than they do
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 12.11. 2017 23:06 »
I personally would not use armours for a start. The plungers are a bit difficult and restricted with what will fit but the standard plungers silencers are very quiet and will give you no trouble to fit, draganfly even do the strange double bolt thing to hold them on