Author Topic: 1958 A10 Super Rocket, swinging arm, where do I find the frame number?  (Read 583 times)

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
I have looked in all the places that I have found recommended, and failed to find the frame number. Most people say it should be around the headstock (see photos) but I haven't found it. Where exactly should I look?

Thanks - Rowan

Current bike: 1958 A10 Super Rocket (in bits), purchased in 1967.
Previous bikes: M21

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
The frame is a later one - the wrap around headstock support with the hole for the wiring harness was a 1961 season feature. The number would have been stamped on the wrap around on the left side like the photo. Note the frame in the photo is "FA7" because it is a factory replacement following, I presume a crash.

If your frame has provision for 2 rear brake cable stops and for a rod brake pedal pivot on the clutch side then it also is a factory replacement.

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
>Note the frame in the photo is "FA7" because it is a factory replacement following, I presume a crash

How do you deduce that? The frame number in my log book is FA7 1388. According to the info given on https://www.britbike.com/bsapitstop/dating/1951-60.html that is the correct prefix and number range for a 1958 Super Rocket. It doesn't mention factory replacement numbers. I was under the impression that factory replacement frames were not marked with a number at the factory, and that the dealer who sold  it was supposed to stamp it with the original frame number of the bike. In this case special numbers for replacement frames would not be required. Is this not correct?

Thanks - Rowan

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Here’s some pictures of a genuine ‘58 frame.
The stamps are 8mm high and 5-6mm wide and look as being stamped with a gigantic hammer...  *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
It is a later pattern frame with earlier number hence I deduce it is a factory replacement and not not an actual 1959/1959 frame.

Yes dealers were supposed to stamp replacement frames see below partsservice bulletin from 1954.

There was no factory stamp set sent to dealers and a dealer would use what he had.

The dealer may not have been stamped in the location used at the factory - the keen observer may notice bikes with numbers stamped in  unusual positions. I once had a D14 Bantam where the number was stamped on the lug near the dualseat nose.

Remember that in the Uk bikes have only been subject to a frame number check since the early 1990s when it was an MOT requirement.

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Here’s some pictures of a genuine ‘58 frame.
The stamps are 8mm high and 5-6mm wide and look as being stamped with a gigantic hammer...  *smile*

Personally I would be very wary of putting my frame number on the Internet. I've heard of a lot of cloned frame and engine numbers being used illegally.....
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
Personally I would be very wary of putting my frame number on the Internet. I've heard of a lot of cloned frame and engine numbers being used illegally.....
You're probably right...

Rowan