Author Topic: adjusting non-adjuster clutch levers  (Read 234 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
adjusting non-adjuster clutch levers
« on: 12.11. 2017 07:32 »
i'm after a 1 1/8" pivot clutch lever for my b33 to make the 6-spring clutch move a bit further. but they all come without adjusters threaded into the cable end housing. eg this: https://www.feked.com/genuine-doherty-clutch-lever-7-8-bars-107p-type-plain-end.html
So how are you supposed to adjust them then? by the adjuster on the clutch itself?  *sad2*

(actually i already have a 1 1/8" lever but its attached to a 7/8 mounting so the cable pulls at a strange angle and can fall out like it did today, so i'm trying to tidy this up. it does move the clutch better, and a good exercise for the left hand).

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: adjusting non-adjuster clutch levers
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2017 10:20 »
You use the adjuster on the cable at the gearbox end and/or the pushrod adjuster under the oval inspection cover. Easy as that. If there is insufficient adjustment on the cable you could make another to the dimensions to suite your bike.

Wide pivot levers with adjusters are readily available.

Cables for levers with no adjusters come with adjusters at the gearbox end and cables for levers with handlebar adjusters either have a built in adjuster at that end or go with a separate sliding adjuster which fits the lever.

The levers with wider centres give more lift at the clutch but with the penalty of heavier lever pressure.

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: adjusting non-adjuster clutch levers
« Reply #2 on: 12.11. 2017 20:15 »
Thanks Julian - pretty much as I feared. i think the cable on the bike is a bit long hence the current adjusters at each end.

while wide pivot levers with adjusters are readily available, they appear to all be ball end types rather than blades like the late 40's style. i'll keep looking.

and you are right about the extra lever pressure, tho its nice to have a 6-spring that can find neutral at the lights.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '18 Triumph Street Triple RS