Author Topic: Primary case lack of drain plug  (Read 674 times)

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
Primary case lack of drain plug
« on: 15.11. 2017 22:01 »
I've got a 1954 swingarm SS. It doesn't appear to have a drain plug (or level plug) for the chaincase. Could it be that someone's fitted an inner case from something else? Were perhaps the singles or earlier A7's interchangeable?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Primary case lack of drain plug
« Reply #1 on: 15.11. 2017 22:12 »
drain plugs for the primary case where a later addition, you drain the case by removing the third from the front bottom case screw ( I think it's the third ), the top of the hole for the screw in the inner case should be open allowing oil to run out.
  if your saying this doesn't work on yours then maybe the inner case has been changed but would be easy to alter I would think
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 16.11. 2017 06:54 »
OK thanks for that. I thought maybe the drain plug was a later addition, but all the tech documents I've read so far, just mention the drain plug for emptying the case. I'll check out the third stud along...

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.11. 2017 07:11 »
 Yep, I  think the  drain plug came along after about '58- my '58 RR didn't have of.
 But I think the cutaway in the screw boss is that Bill means is the level one.
 The actual drain hole plug I would expect should be at the bottomest one (where most of the oil is  *idea*  )   *conf2*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.11. 2017 12:05 »
But I think the cutaway in the screw boss is that Bill means is the level one.

Well spotted Dutch, yes I was thinking of the level one right enough
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 16.11. 2017 15:47 »
Thanks chaps. Another little problem sorted courtesy of this excellent resource. Pre-internet, getting an answer to such a simple query could have involved a fair bit of hassle.