Author Topic: Youth revisited  (Read 641 times)

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
Youth revisited
« on: 14.11. 2017 20:54 »
Hello all. As per the rules, as a newbie, I'm posting, to make sure my account isn't deleted. It's a good idea to encourage a bit of participation, rather than just being a voyeur.

I've just reacquainted myself with the joys of A7ss ownership after a gap of something like forty years. My first bike (after passing my test on a scooter) was a chopperised A7ss. It cost £38 and ran well, but had a weird seat and ape bars. Soon had them removed and it started to drive and look a bit better. Loved the bike and only moved it on when I bought a Trident in 1977, which I still have.

The second A7ss came into my life two weeks ago. I'd seen it for sale on the internet a year ago, and quite fancied it because it looked beautifull and was a 1954 registration - the same as me! I decided not to buy it, but regretted the decision, so when it reappeared at the same dealer's last month I had to go and look. Someone had traded it in for a Norton plodder single......Whattttt!

The bike exceeded expectations. It looks great, but it's the way it runs that's impressive. Sympathetically restored, but sensibly - not concours. I won't worry if it picks up the odd scratch. It runs beautifully apart from a tendency to slip the clutch a bit if it's opened up too quickly. I've checked free play to make sure it's completely disengaged, so assume there's a bit of oil on the plates.

I was able to contact the guy who rebuilt it (in 2006 for a museum!) and it seems I've been really lucky in that judging by the way it runs, he clearly knows what he's doing. It's not just had fresh bearings etc, but also reconditioned mag and dyno. After some years in the museum it was bought back by the restorer, who used it on the road, before selling it on. It has clearly not done many miles since. Inevitably jokes have been made by the family along the lines that it's in much better condition than I am for the same age....

I'm intending to use it, rather than polish it, so this forum will undoubtedly be a very useful resource. I've enjoyed reading it so far and I'm impressed by the great knowledge bank that's available. Also glad to see there's a good few Kiwi contributors out there. Definitely my favourite country and one I've been fortunate to ride around. I loved the motorcycle museum in Nelson (and the chats with the voluteers) but was sad to hear it had to close so soon after opening. Glad it's now found a home in Invercargill.

That's enough of an intro I think. Apolgies for not putting up a photo of the bike, but a night shot wouldn't do it justice! I'll remedy that soon.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Youth revisited
« Reply #1 on: 14.11. 2017 21:05 »
Welcome aboard. Thanks for a fine story.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2017 23:06 »
Welcome!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline TomL

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 15.11. 2017 06:12 »
Welcome. This is the place for good advice and friendly people. Ride the wheels off it! 👍
'61 A7 essex

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.11. 2017 08:04 »
 *welcome* Steve.
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 15.11. 2017 11:55 »
  *welcome* A very apt title for this post , sums up what we all feel once we swing our leg over the saddle of the bike , enjoy the bike , Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 15.11. 2017 20:28 »
Welcome Steve
Cheers Tinu
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 15.11. 2017 21:07 »
Hi and welcome.
Clutch may just need a couple of turns on the springs.
Have fun!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline stevejs

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 15.11. 2017 21:58 »
Yep, morris, that had crossed my mind. I'll see how it feels after a run out tomorrow. There's another query I've got, but will raise it under the engine section. Thanks.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.11. 2017 22:13 »
Welcome aboard Steve
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco