Author Topic: I like it  (Read 648 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I like it
« on: 21.11. 2017 12:48 »
Ok, let battle commence!
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: I like it
« Reply #1 on: 21.11. 2017 12:49 »
What if Mahindra brought something out like this?
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.11. 2017 20:52 »
Seems Billy Joel owns this and a heap of other bikes.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 21.11. 2017 21:02 »
Overhead cam,, seems the only part on this that is BSA appears to be the tank.  That motor looks familiar,,Its not a Kawasaki W2,, what is it?  I am not that up on Asian bikes.
Good Advice
No reactions
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2017 22:32 »
 I'm fairly sure I saw a new one of something like that in the mid- nineties at the local Kwakka shop.....
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.11. 2017 23:11 »
Kwaka 650
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 21.11. 2017 23:22 »
okay, solves the mystery, a tarted up kwakker.  I googled Kawa W2 models and that brought up images of the 60s  or early 70s versions and those had the A10 style timing covers.  So, my bad.

I always wondered why the Kwakker versions did not do better,  they were by all accounts a decent retro style bike, but sales were not great reportedly and they stopped making them.

Some years back in US Cycle world magazine someone took one of these to the SOCAL Hansen Dam ride which is ALL BRITISH bikes.  Jay Leno often attends and he was asked to ride it and evaluate it.  It helped to avoid also being asked to leave as it was not british.  Leno was quoted in the magazine that he thought after the ride that it was quite nice,, but the quote that got an uproar started was....

"Its kinda like a fat girl, Fun to ride but embarrassing when your friends find out"

There was a lady who had one and member of our local vintage bike club. I showed her the article and she was beyond outraged. I heard she wrote scathing letters to complain.   CW of course loves that sort of thing,.  stirs the pot and gets people looking at them.
Good Advice
No reactions
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.11. 2017 07:58 »
The connection with BSA is shown in this from Wikipedia:

In 1960 the Akashi-based Kawasaki Aircraft Company acquired an interest in the Meguro motorcycle company, which had obtained a license to produce a copy of the 500 cc BSA A7. Meguro had been Japan's largest motorcycle manufacturer but in the late 1950s its models had become less competitive and it was short of money. Kawasaki's investment enabled Meguro to launch its A7 copy as the Meguro K.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 22.11. 2017 10:09 »
That is true, and there is more British-Japanese connections than one might otherwise believe,,, I sold a BSA A65 chopper rolling chassis and a stock A65 Roller as well to some guys about 20 years back and they stuffed some Yamaha XS650 engines in them.  The chopper I dont  remember too well, details are fuzzy, but I do recall the stock(ish) A65 caused a bit of a ruckus at some events with that XS650 motor in there.  Again, details are fuzzy, but I clearly recall some upset people in our vintage club.  At the time I found it really funny and anytime I could upset certain people it was all good.   (I also used to talk about turning my 66 T120TT bike into a chopper just for fun and watch the blood pressure rise).   I recall the guys who built it saying
"It dropped right in"  but they could have been saying that for effect.  I have some XS650 engines and engine cases here stored for a friend and plan in next week or 2 to see how they fit.   But this was back when XS650s were cheap and easy to get,, now they command a premium price.

I also had a debate on another forum (Several long running ones) about the connection to Amal and Mikunis,, and that (Well established) about the history of the VM style Mikuni is an Amal design that failed to chart with BSA-Norton-Triumph so was sold under license to Mikuni.  (This upsets people, but its true) So, when researching this besides the interviews published in Classic bike, I did some research on other aspects of this and found that Amal and Mikuni had a relationship that went back to the 1920s and MANY British designs were sold to Asia this way and made under license.

There is also that LILAC bike deal or whatever it was called that was a 1930s Harley made in Japan, also under license.  Of course there is the large number of Americans who get upset about Japanese products and their Harleys,,, yet much of the parts on modern Harleys are made in Japan as well as other non-US companies.

Somewhat even more of a Tangent is how upset Norton owners get over the Harley Reject starters fitted to 850 commandos...Considered defective Norton bought them at discount, and the saga continues with the modern Nortons.  (Suzuki clutch, Suzuki Alternator, Toyota rocker arms, Harley Sportster transmission and same starter as Sportsters and Buells,, and recently learned SAME starter on most 3 cylinder diesel tractor engines (Kubota-Yanmar).   Folks get their panties in a wad/ knickers in a twist over THAT topic including the moderator of a well known Notrun forum.  I have pointed out and proved you can buy service parts for your Donnington Hall Norton at the lawn and garden stores in Armpit Oklahoma and people will stick their hands in their ears and yell "Nah Nah Nah,,,,I cant hear you".

What about those Rotax powered Matchless bikes??

Bernie Li was an important mentor and confidant to Kenny Dreer during the Norton America saga, many people are largely unaware of his role and influence on the Norton 961.  Bernie was a passionate bike guy and made his money (A lot of it) making a very successful line of car care products.  He TRIED building a modern Vincent but fatal flaw was he tried using an Japanese made engine and it made sense to do so, but it upset many people and was a failure.  Bernie thus had a profound influence on the Norton 952/961 bikes helping Kenny navigate the minefield of reviving a Iconic brand as well as dealing with investors and the legal sharks.   
Good Advice
No reactions

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.11. 2017 10:41 »
kawasaki W1 advert from 1966. Got a road test somewhere.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.11. 2017 10:55 »
kawasaki W1 advert from 1966.

rode one many years ago, courtesy of my wife's cousin, was a fine ride, smoother than the Flash but there's the thing my present 3 pot Ford fiesta is miles better than the first Fiesta I owned both in performance and economy - progress much if not all of it is good
Good Advice
No reactions
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 22.11. 2017 11:35 »
Well I’m not keen on seeing stuff badged as something that it is not. Unless there is a whole bunch of BSA stuff on that bike that I’m not seeing (quite likely of course).

I think the only time I’ve transgressed on that ruling myself was putting Francis Barnet badged engine covers on a James. Just because I could.
I had a hankering to put an RD200 engine in to make it a Jamaha, but japanese bits from that era are all getting too expensive now.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.11. 2017 12:06 »
Some years back in US Cycle world magazine someone took one of these to the SOCAL Hansen Dam ride which is ALL BRITISH bikes.  Jay Leno often attends and he was asked to ride it and evaluate it.  It helped to avoid also being asked to leave as it was not british.  Leno was quoted in the magazine that he thought after the ride that it was quite nice,, but the quote that got an uproar started was....

"Its kinda like a fat girl, Fun to ride but embarrassing when your friends find out"

Two things. I'm from the San Fernando Valley (my first 43 years), so hearing mention of Hansen Dam here was the last thing I expected. Been there many times for general recreation, probably before British bike meets there. My bike was originally restored by a shop in the shadow of the power plant stacks associated with Hansen Dam.

Second thing,  we assume (correctly, I think) that the wives won't be reading the forum. *smile*.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 22.11. 2017 14:54 »
Ahmen to that !! *whistle*
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 22.11. 2017 17:57 »
A nice looking bike, but.............
The BSA tank is better looking than the Kawi tank. If chromed, the Kawi tank would still have the flange on the bottom  (one of my least favorite features
on any tank). Don't know that you could find a Kawi badge to fit the recess in the BSA tank. Bit of a conundrum (don't think I've ever used that word 'til now!).
Good Advice
No reactions