Author Topic: Ebay con artist.  (Read 473 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Ebay con artist.
« on: 21.11. 2017 15:49 »
Some chap has just parted with £2999 to buy a lambretta off ebay from the daily fraudster. He swallowed a story and parted with the cash via a transfer. Some mothers do have them. BSA frauds on there every day of the week, be careful lads.

Online Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Ebay con artist.
« Reply #1 on: 21.11. 2017 21:46 »
I am not sure who the daily fraudster is,, and sometimes see some sketchy dealings on FeeBay buts generally buyers not sellers. The whole equilibrium is so tilted towards the buyer now, bad sellers dont last long.

I know a lot of people who sell on ebay and even more who USED to,, It is too easy to get screwed by buyers and ebay sides with them unless you have really compelling proof.  I myself have lost several thousand dollars this way, and I know sellers who have closed their accts for this reason.   When your fees exceed your income some months and then a fraud buyer rips you off that is a deal breaker.

However here in the US,, Craigslist has always been a useful medium and chock full of really bad sellers AND Buyers.. but there seems to be a tidal wave of scam listings these days.  My wife wanted a Yorkie puppy and we spent 10 months trying to either rescue/adopt or get one from a breeder.  CL says no pet sales, adoptions only but tons of breeders on there. But even other forums its 80-90% scammers and very few real people.  But seeing more and more car and bike listings that way.  Theres a $2500 Norton 850 Commando listed in Oregon-Washington CLs right now. Total fraud.  For last month it was a 1967 TT Triumph for $5,000, Just saw a 1972 CB750 for $1500,(my friend in Scotland wanted it badly) etc etc.. every week its something.  (Cars & trucks too)

I know a guy in Texas who just sold a TSS Triumph to a Kiwi buyer for $10k and he reports the same pictures and details popped up all over the internet offering the same bike for $5k.  Often the scammers are too lazy to get their own pictures, and just recycle other peoples ads.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 22.11. 2017 18:09 »
Personally, I've done very well with EBay, both buying and selling. A couple bikes, some cars/trucks, lots of parts bought and sold. I always check buyer/seller ratings, and don't send anything until the money's in my bank. Only bad experience was for a T100 subframe auction that I won very cheap and seller kept making excuses why they couldn't mail it. They did, however, refund my money.
Craigslist is a pita. Often people don't bother to cancel listings and don't return calls. On average I probably make contact with sellers about 1/3 of the time, though I've done okay with it as a seller.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 24.11. 2017 16:58 »
Today he changed tactics, description now in red type, loads of BMW's and two BSA today + others, reported a few. Trying to eat my diner.

Online beesa71

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 24.11. 2017 21:24 »
Can you give us a clue of who to avoid?

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 25.11. 2017 11:23 »
He may be reading these forums. Log onto ebay about 17.00, look for cheap British Bikes all listed at the same time. Always an email address for a quick sale. Look at other items that will confirm it.
Selling for a friend ! Not saying too much, I used to chase these people.

Online beesa71

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 25.11. 2017 11:50 »
Found them fingered on a Facebook Group.

Ta though for 'pointer'.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 25.11. 2017 14:57 »
Which group were they on, don't use it much. Too busy on here LOL.