Author Topic: Brake drum skimming  (Read 4622 times)

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Re: Brake drum skimming
« Reply #15 on: 28.11. 2017 06:47 »
Right Sluggo, just turn the wheel by hand. It can also be  done with the wheel in place in the bike, then everything is in the " home" position.
It's quite rewarding to feel the pulsation of an out of round hub slowly switch to perfectly even drag all the way around.
I use a c Clamp (G Cramp UK) to clamp the brake lever at a light drag, then gradually tighten the clamp as the high spots abrade away.

Glen

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.11. 2017 07:14 »
I did mine using the stick on emery paper, I did it off the bike, stuck the paper onto the shoes and then turned the brake, it didn't take too long.
I then stuck the paper onto the brake drum and turned the brake to arch the shoes.
WARNING, It soon removes the brake shoe material so don't over do it.
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 30.11. 2017 11:35 »
round here (oxon/Bucks borders) there is a very clever enginer who has built his own jig for doing this and he does it with the wheel assembled and with the tyre on as he uses the tyre as the drive for spinning the wheel, a very simple jig and very good. he has done quite a few for the local classic bike scene. it works well and is very accurate. he preferes to do them this way as he says this is what the wheel is like when in use and thats the way it needs to be trued up .
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #18 on: 30.11. 2017 13:34 »
(If the pic comes through) a little tool I made for the job, which attaches to the spindle of an assembled wheel.
Just a flycutter bit on a bar but has done a decent job when needed.
Bill

Offline rwbeard

• Active
« Reply #19 on: 06.08. 2020 08:46 »
The stick on emery does a perfect job in no time. Uses your wheel as a lathe. It only takes off what is needed, no more. You can feel when it's perfectly round, all pulsation disappears.
Use  stick on 180 grit stuck to the shoes and grinding on drum first, then when the drum is done go the other way round to arc the shoes to the drum.
The whole job can be completed in the time it would take to load the wheel in the car and drive it somewhere local.
I have a big lathe here that can handle a wheel. I used to true drums in the lathe but don't do it that way anymore.

Hi there,
I know that it’s some time since this was posted.
I have a 190mm front brake fitted to my RGS replica and it vibrates when braking is applied.
I like your idea, sounds so simple, so will give it a try - but how do you glue/apply the emery paper?/cloth? to the brake shoes and the drum securely? What type of glue, and just as importantly how go you get it off?

Thanks for your help

Regards Rojah

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #20 on: 06.08. 2020 11:12 »
I would expect double sided tape would do that job ok Rojah, easily removed from both surfaces afterwards, but Roy could probably be more specific perhaps....

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 06.08. 2020 13:03 »
The stick on emery does a perfect job in no time. Uses your wheel as a lathe. It only takes off what is needed, no more. You can feel when it's perfectly round, all pulsation disappears.
Use  stick on 180 grit stuck to the shoes and grinding on drum first, then when the drum is done go the other way round to arc the shoes to the drum.
The whole job can be completed in the time it would take to load the wheel in the car and drive it somewhere local.
I have a big lathe here that can handle a wheel. I used to true drums in the lathe but don't do it that way anymore.

Hi there,
I have a 190mm front brake fitted to my RGS replica and it vibrates when braking is applied.
I like your idea, sounds so simple, so will give it a try - but how do you glue/apply the emery paper?/cloth? to the brake shoes and the drum securely? What type of glue, and just as importantly how go you get it off?

Thanks for your help

Regards Rojah

I used “car moulding tape” which is (sort of) double sided tape, should be cheap, you stick it to the drum then peel the backing layer off and it leaves a sticky residue behind on the drum to stick the sandpaper too. It comes off the drum with brakeclean fluid or similar.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #22 on: 06.08. 2020 16:33 »
Some double sided carpet tape from any DIY shop will do the trick. I used 80 grade metal emery.
But if the pulsating is as severe as mine was, the emery treatment won’t work and the drum will need a skim. Any well equipped workshop should be able to do that. Won’t need to disassemble the wheel, just taking the tyre off will do. I paid €25 for one wheel
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 06.08. 2020 20:16 »
Before skimmimg any drum, check the spokes. If some are tighter than others, they'll pull the drum out of round and 'normalising' that merely creares a 2nd problem. Indeed, a bike that's had a new rim fitted recently is a candidate for checking, as many of today's rims are nowhere near round at the weld and building a wheel often means having to tension spokes irregularly in order to get a nearly-round rim. I've had to return new rims before now - and panel beat others because they were so bad. Try to pull that into almost-round with the spokes and the drum will be the shape of the wheel rim before you started.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 07.08. 2020 09:23 »
Interesting that this thread has reactivated. My SP370 has a definite warp at the front. Front rim is original but has been replaced at some point so something presumable wasn't done quite right, but perhaps as an off roader it had previously taken a bit of a ding. Might try the emery cloth approach first, though the shop mentioned way up earlier is actually fairly local to me.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 07.08. 2020 09:43 »
Sticking the self-adhesive abrasive pads on the brake drum surface to radius the shoes works well, but sticking the pads to the shoes to cure brake drum ovality or warping sounds dubious.
It would some abrasive to remove 10 thou+ of work-hardened cast iron..

Offline rayjay

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 08.08. 2020 22:37 »
I had my front drum skimmed and brake shoes relined and machined to fit by a guy  in the West Byfleet  (south of london) area. He can swing an 18 inch wheel with tyre fitted but 19 inch has to have tyre removed. transformed my stopping power, can almost bottom the forks now. (PM me for name and tel no. )
A10 Tiger sport DR400  XT225                                                                       T

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #27 on: 08.08. 2020 23:58 »
I had my front drum skimmed and brake shoes relined and machined to fit by a guy  in the West Byfleet
transformed my stopping power, can almost bottom the forks now.

Hello, you may post info in this board https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=46.0

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 10.08. 2020 08:53 »
... though the shop mentioned way up earlier is actually fairly local to me.

I rang that shop btw. They no longer offer that service - not a lot of call for that sort of thing these days.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 31.08. 2020 20:35 »

Hi there,

Thanks for your help

Regards Rojah

I use stick on emery paper.
Auto supply stores sell it in discs.
I have a roll of 100  discs in 80 grit that I am slowly using up.
I cut strips of the correct width from the centre portion of these 7" discs.
It doesn't leave any residue when peeled off, in fact it removes dust in the pores of the brake linings. When used the other way to arc the shoes, it comes off the drum cleanly.

Glen