Author Topic: Clutch adjusting  (Read 5739 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutch adjusting
« Reply #75 on: 05.12. 2017 15:15 »
Dont know about the modern repro clutch pullers but both my ancient 4 and 6 spring pullers have very slightly domed bolts, not a pointed one. Both been in use over 40 years and no hint of threads pulling off. Maybe the repro items which shed threads are not made of the corect grade steel.

I have just had a look at the one that I am waiting for, no point on that bolt either.

Puller arrived, centre popped off with one sharp tap of a normal hammer.

Which way does the open end go on the sliding plate ?

Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #76 on: 05.12. 2017 17:15 »
Lucky you Roy.

Sliding plate like this picture as you look at it from beside your bike. Large felt washer behind it.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #77 on: 05.12. 2017 17:33 »
Can you see one on here ? The 1st & 18th pic is mine. -  https://www.google.de/search?q=Watsonian,+BSA+sidecar&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij-faKqvLXAhVGGsAKHUF8CBcQsAQIJg&biw=1164&bih=537

Looks fantastic - wish it were mine.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #78 on: 05.12. 2017 18:40 »
Lucky you Roy.

Sliding plate like this picture as you look at it from beside your bike. Large felt washer behind it.

Thanks for confirming that Roger, that is the way that it was on my bike before I stripped it down.
What put the doubt in my mind is that it's the other way round in this video.  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbZqfPOJuog   

Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #79 on: 05.12. 2017 18:41 »
Hi All,
The repro sliding plates are poorly made  *sad2* and not a good fit on the shaft adaptor
SRM's clutch adaptor does not have the scroll, they supply a felt washer that fits between the adaptor and sliding plate,
Check the sliding plate as quite a lot of them will leak between the two rivited parts *problem*
Apply goo to the V between the parts

I had a look at the youtube video link, obviously set up for recording, nothing tight  *????* *????*
gave up after a few min *sad2*
If the sliding plate is fitted wrong way round the gearbox cannot be moved back to the limits of the adjustment

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 05.12. 2017 18:47 »
Not really enough space for primary chain adjustment if the plate is assembled closed end towards rear.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #81 on: 05.12. 2017 18:51 »

Check the sliding plate as quite a lot of them will leak between the two rivited parts *problem*
Apply goo to the V between the parts

John
I think you told me that before John.
I have done that this afternoon, it's drying out on the table till tomorrow.
Going to North Staffs BSA Owners meet tonight.
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #82 on: 05.12. 2017 19:38 »
Not really enough space for primary chain adjustment if the plate is assembled closed end towards rear.

Yes, I noticed that and started to think about why it should be open end towards the rear and then it occurred to me that if you remove the front (and the easier) nut and bolt, leaving the rear in situ, would it then be possible to wriggle the sliding plate to the front while at the same time lifting it away to clear the shaft and could it then be remove without having to undo the rear (and the difficult) nut and bolt. Who's going to volunteer to strip theirs down to try it then???

Also it looks like the centre piece has been modified and Roy that's what made you think it may have to be the other way around.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 06.12. 2017 16:46 »
Hi RoyC,

What you want for your sliding plate seal is one from Dave Flintoft engineering. This comes with full instructions on how to fit it. I put one on my A10 swing arm two years ago and not one drop of oil has leaked out.  *smiley4*
 Tel 01287-638677 or email david-flintoft@sky.com   
Thanks for that, I have sent him an email.
Dave Flintoft got back to me today, he said that he will pop a couple in the post, with instructions.  *smile*
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #84 on: 06.12. 2017 22:11 »
That's great stuff Roy, you won't be disappointed.

ELLIS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #85 on: 15.12. 2017 10:03 »
Hi RoyC,

What you want for your sliding plate seal is one from Dave Flintoft engineering. This comes with full instructions on how to fit it. I put one on my A10 swing arm two years ago and not one drop of oil has leaked out.  *smiley4*
 Tel 01287-638677 or email david-flintoft@sky.com   
Thanks for that, I have sent him an email.
Dave Flintoft got back to me today, he said that he will pop a couple in the post, with instructions.  *smile*
Roy.
As promised. The sliding plate oil seals arrived from Dave Flintoft, FREE OF CHARGE.  *respect*
I have been trying to find a web site or a price list of parts for Dave Flintoft Engineering, but without success.

Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK