Author Topic: My A10 - A story of 28 years of alternating neglect, abuse and restoration...  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Good morning t20racerman, Green with envy,I've enjoyed reading this post ,brings back so many memories! The guy who verbally kicked you up the a*** ,was He by any chance called Bruce ?  I had exactly the same scenario , bike stolen when returned (after 4 mths ) stripped it down ,then had the frame nicked and moved the rest into shed. Left it there from from'78 til 2001 (hang head in shame ) we had just returned from a holiday and in the post was an advertisement for a '59A10 frame forks and goldie 8" brake for £250 with a note from Bruce who's a biker buddie since 1965  , saying buy this or I don't ever want to hear "I'll get it back on the road next soon" He also promised to insert certain parts into me which would have made sitting down pretty difficult as well so what can a guy do. Soon the bits were bought and the shed became the centre of my world for 18 mthsframe  chrome guards rebuilt wheels etc ,engine done by SRM crank balanced cleaned out ground and the end feed converted ,the head worked on RGS valves and gas flowed and spitfire cam and followers rebored and pistons ,they did the engineering I put all back together ,boy I really enjoyed it . had the wheels rebuilt ,the front and back tyres still had air in them from the last time I rode it, Anyway after the fiasco of relicencing her she fired up after I 'd kicked her over  with plugs out for 1/2 an hour to get the oil back and then she started what a beauiful noise , the neighbours loved it to !! Well at least one of them still talks to the wife .that was 2003 .The first ride after MOT was simply great ,same grin you had I bet and bonus followed the very same route I took back in 1965 when I did the same thing with my very first bike ,pure indulgence. Only prob I had was sticking valve which kissed a piston which once replaced has behaved without a hitch. Anyway I've had to sorn her this month due to house move and family prob's and probably next year too so I'll do my best to keep sane by reading what you guys get up to and polishing the bike.....so keep the posts coming, hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine best wishes Bob H  
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
once again roared around the roads of Hertfordshire
 *smile*

Very nice, thanks for posting the story (should inspire me to continue with my heap of parts, and get it back on the road one day).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
Great story mate,

I just finished doing the motor on mine and it was only laid up for about 6 months and I was going crazy!  I can't imagine surviging with my BSA off the road for 11 years!  Great job on the resto  *smile*

I'm now hankering for a fourth bike and am thinking of an A65 to complete a nice twin set  ;)
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Well done T20, it looks good and most importantly its back on the road.

Hubie, before you buy a A65 I suggest you go for a ride on one, not around town but out on the road and sit it on 65-70mph for a few k's and then decide if you want one.

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
Is there something you're not telling me Brian?   ;D
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
There are probably some members who own A65's also and they might disagree but, vibration. I mean shake your teeth out type vibration. I have had A65's and a A50. The A50 was a nice bike but the A65 was horrible over about 60mph. Its best you go for a ride on one and make up your own mind.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
But the wife will probably luv it  ;)
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
Agree with that Muskrat...   *smile* *eek*

Anyway, back to my trip. Here's me and my bike, down in lovely South Wales:

The second pic is my trying to trace some of the oil leaks!
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
And another pic...(Sorry guys, love this pic and had to share....)

Quick repairs to gearbox cover which was leaking a little oil.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Offline BSA John

• Active
Hi, great story and like your Suzuki front end I've got a super rocket on going project rode it this year and got the same Suzuki front end to fit over winter. I was going to fit Suzuki yokes but like your idea and wondered were you got your tapers made? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers John

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
nice story racer man. but back to the crux of the matter.
are you using a standard wm2 rear wheel rim with that tt100 ?