Author Topic: Something Interesting  (Read 938 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Something Interesting
« on: 01.12. 2017 02:26 »
Momentarily standing in for Neil (Greybeard) in posting something non-BSA   that should still be interesting to the menbers. Don't get excited, it's still motorcycles.

https://youtu.be/WR-FfL5Nf6Y

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Something Interesting
« Reply #1 on: 01.12. 2017 08:12 »
I doubt thats the ONLY 3 bikes with a radial engine,, but it is cool!!!  *smiley4*

There is nothing quite like the sound of a radial,, I am no expert but I did do some training on them in school.
(Degree in Aerospace mechanical science, Community College of the US Air Force, European campus locations)
as well as in FAA college courses at a local college.

One of my practical tests was in the ignitions course modules at the local college was I had to rebuild, install and then time some radial engines, the 9 cyl was hard, but even more challenging was the double row 18cyl engines.  I would have to look up my old class notes as I still have them in the attic to tell you which specific ones they were.  But I was ticked off when Harold, the instructor asked me.,.
"Does it run because of you or in spite of you?".. Later I came to appreciate his wit & candor, its actually an excellent metaphor. (including leadership and mgmt).

You will notice that on a radial its typically an odd number of cylinders and timing them is challenging and WHY they have that stattaco bark and odd exhaust note.  The reason is every cyl has to give up a few degrees to get the whole assy to run.  It all works out of course,, but they can be a spine tingler to ride in when off their sweet spot   

This then gets into harmonic vibrations and how it can induce stress cracks and fractures at certain frequencies.  Several airplanes fell out of the sky with the wings sheared off with the passengers screaming to their deaths before engineers figured this out.

Nothing like the drone of a radial though,,  I read an interview of a German kid in WW2 who manned a anti aircraft battery and he said it would take 2 to 3 hours  for all the planes in the allied bomber flights to pass overhead they were so large,, He said it was the most unreal thing he ever heard or saw the constant droning of the engines and sheer size of the formations.  More than few people went mad from this.  Some years back I did some British bike work for a elderly German guy, He was a car-Motorcycle and airplane enthusiast and one day he asked If I wanted to ride down to the local airport and tour the B17 that travels around the US.  I jumped at the chance and while I have seen that plane multiple times there was special history there.

When we were inside the aircraft a chipper mid westerner asked us "Say there fellahs,, Have any of you ever seen one of these acft?"  Werner said "Jah!"   The friendly yokel came back with "Really!  Where at?".. Werner replied stoically with a glint in his eye.. "Over my house 1944"  I will NEVER forget the look that crossed every ones face.

We talked often of his life in Germany and his history, and life in the US.  My Dad was a few years older and served in the US Army Air Corp and along the Aluminum highway over the Himalayas in C46 & C47 flying supplies into China. Had he not washed out of gunnery school we would likely not had this conversation.
He was supposed to be a belly gunner and their mortality rate was very high.

Jeez,, see what happened here?? You get me going about airplanes and Ill jabber endlessly all day. Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

My Grandfather, Army Air Corp 1918-1919. Dad US Army Air Corp  WW2 (Enlisted based on advice from grandpa, ) Me, US Air Force, got out in 1989, extended enlistments multiple deployments and UN Peacekeeping mission middle east.  FAA licensed A&P. 
But my favorite quote was from US Marines I was partying with on a beach in Hawaii on a layover. Some young ladies walked by and we flirted. One asked... "Oh hey! Are you guys in the military?" Why yes,,
"Are you pilots? Do you fly?"  One of the marines answered with a straight face
"Only on the weekends baby, Only on the weekends!"
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.12. 2017 09:31 »

Had a look on my phone earlier, and BIG complaint is they weren't loud enough...I agree with Sluggo, radials sound GREAT. Occasionally they fly over and I pick 'em straight away....

Have to say that those would be challenging to ride with as far as I can tell, the engine/wheel being the flywheel and not a lot of apparent de-clutch action..... *eek*
 Next clip is interesting too....

My Dad applied for the Airforce but found out he was colour-blind, so ended up all over as a trucker

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline TomL

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 01.12. 2017 09:35 »
Thank you for that, Richard, very cool, love the sound. Must be strange riding with all that weight in the front wheel.
Cheers Tom 🏍
'61 A7 essex

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.12. 2017 10:13 »
Thanks for taking on the arduious task of Off-topicing.

I think I read a discussion about the Verdel not being genuine.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.12. 2017 13:08 »
On radials - I recently read this.

Incredible account within on his being substantially shot up on one occasion and just how resilient the old Jug was.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 01.12. 2017 13:55 »
Just visited the Warhawk air museum in Nampa, ID the other day. Found the radial engines on display very interesting. Unless I misunderstood the poster at one of the German planes, the prop on it was mounted to the crankcase, which rotated, while the crankshaft remained stationary?????? From what I could see of it, that appeared to be the case.

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 01.12. 2017 14:46 »
Do not confuse rotary with radial. A rotary engine rotates around the fixed crankshaft. On a radial engine, the cylinders are arranged in a radial manner and the crankshaft rotates. On an aeroplane with a rotary engine, the gyroscopic forces are enormous. I am sure we have all done the old spinning bicycle wheel trick. Just imagine a complete engine spinning round like that. I have just read a flight test of a Sopwith Camel. No wonder so many pilots were killed in training, more than died in combat.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 01.12. 2017 14:52 »
...Sopwith Camel...

No throttle control; just a blip button to cut the sparks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq78ZocOAkY

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 01.12. 2017 14:59 »
Had the chance to buy a radial engine a couple of years ago. It was bigger than me!
Regret to not have bought it
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.12. 2017 16:58 »
The Camel was known for turning one way a whole lot easier than the other.

I knew that radials had odd numbers of cylinders. Say again why that is?
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 01.12. 2017 17:18 »
Just imagine a complete engine spinning round like that. I have just read a flight test of a Sopwith Camel. No wonder so many pilots were killed in training, more than died in combat.

Yes, and when they cut out the aerodynamic forces kept them spinning and the same force sprayed petrol back all over the pilot (which often caught fire) and no parachutes in those days because the powers to be thought it would be just too easy for a pilot to get scared of burning to death and would jump using his parachute and then another valuable aeroplane would definitely be destroyed. The Germans had parachutes as did the observers in balloons.

Just imagine your feet catching on fire!

1960 Golden Flash

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.12. 2017 18:23 »
Hi All,
Going back to radial motorcycle engines
To the best of my recollection there is a "Redrup" radial in the Sammy Miller Museum ??
some info here, https://thekneeslider.com/radial-engine-motorcycles-redrup-radial/

I seem to remember another British made radial where the engine sits still within the driving wheel ???

It would seem that radials are popular in the custom scene?  *eek*
https://www.google.ie/search?q=radial+motorcycle+engine&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi81_PXtOnXAhUE_qQKHTNaDyUQsAQIKA&biw=1198&bih=656

A few years ago there was a one off radial engined "Morgan style" three wheeler at the Stafford Auction
It was built to a very high standard by an aircraft engineer,
It has one off three cylinder engine using BMW R100 cylinders and heads, a Citroen GS gearbox and inboard disc
brakes, and a reversed Citroen trailing arm for the single rear wheel
I had to leave the auction early, but would have been very tempted to bid if I had stayed as it sold for what I thought
was a small price
http://anarchadia.blogspot.ie/2012/04/vintage-thing-no105-tarkus-radial.html

Enough Rambling
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 01.12. 2017 22:44 »
A company in Melbourne makes radials.

http://www.rotecengines.com/

Beautiful things... The guys at the Montreal Aircraft Museum fitted one in their Bleriot reproduction.

http://www.cahc-ccpa.com/en/

Well worth a visit if you're up that way, (my brother is a volunteer there).

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #14 on: 02.12. 2017 06:14 »
One of the problems with radial engines is the habit they have of wet sumping, but in this case oil seeps down to fill the lowest cylinder head. When you try to turn the engine over you can get a hydraulic lock which will gently force the cylinder head and barrel off the crankcase or bend the con rod. There was a case of a Piston Provost a few years ago where this happened. The seriously weakened engine blew up in flight and the pilot burned to death before the plane hit the ground. I had a look in my log book and it was one that I had flown. Rather relieved I wasn't flying it on that trip. And you think our wet sumping problems are serious...   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep