Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: Woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: 15.12. 2017 00:13 »
Sadley, japanese, Brough and Vincent motors are thin on the ground locally,,, But I do have a long languishing project with a badly sodomized Wideline frame ( Used to have a Corvair car engine in it, I freed from its bondage) and returning that back to sanity but installing a 2001 Buell S3 1200 V twin and I have a amazing Avon Aire fairing for it which is rather heavy and ungainly but luckily the Buell motor has horses to spare (100hp) and some akront rims and other bits I have been collecting. Doubt it will be completed but hopefully I can have it at least assembled into one roller and take it to the INOA rally in 2018 in Washington state USA.

Much works needs to be done first though..........

But I gave you a thumbs up-like just because.  V_twin coolness!  (Dont low side that baby,, think of the maggies!)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 15.12. 2017 01:21 »
Beautiful!

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15.12. 2017 06:20 »
Shoehorned in! *smile*
59 Super Rocket 

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 15.12. 2017 06:40 »
Could be wrong here, but didn't Goodman (I'm sure he has a first name) successor to the Velocette dynasty, produce a small number of HD-engined featherbed-framed bikes? The road test I read essentially came up with Good Effort, but...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.12. 2017 08:25 »
I see a few Vincent powered FB framed bikes around from time to time, and there is a guy locally who was one of the original members of the Oregon Vintage MC and he has a nice one, its been featured in a few places as well as several newsletters.  I have pictures of it on a memory stick in my office buried somewhere.

I knew a guy called "Hack-a-saw" in North Carolina about 15 years ago building a Mongrel FB framed bike with a BSA A10 Tranny, A HD 45 motor and FB frame,, He called it a "Hard-on" and said it was "Fast in the corners & slow on the straights" and planned to eventually build it as a Magnum 45 (Ironhead sporty 900cc top end and other hot rodding,)  But last I heard he got a divorce and sold off many of his collection & projects.

**(PS, If anyone wants a good tech article on HOW to build a 45 magnum PM me, I am scanning one for a friend who is building a Magnum)

But there was a guy locally who got some press for a "Norley Fartster" with an Evo sporty motor and I thought he did a great job.  At that time I had been out of the HD scene as it got to embarrassing,, but a friend left me his hot rodded Evo Sporty for 2 months and the wheels started turning with a Tape measure and I told him he was lucky he was getting his bike back in one piece.  I got back into Sportsters and Buells at that time.   

Since then, several companies and builders have came out with their own HD V-Twin compatible FB frames,, Before Unity Equipe in the UK closed up they had some wideline frames for sale, and a few other vendors were offering some too.   There is a shop in Florida USA offering them as well, and another shop that offers cafe racer stuff is coming out with a frame as well..  NEW Manufacture setup for Sportster, Modern Triumph or engines of your choice.  Most slightly lengthen the Wideline frames and because of the cyl heads they need to be a wideline, not narrow line.  (EVO sporties are 1 to 1.5"  inches taller than a Ironhead)  But there has been some built using Big twin HD motors too..

Cafe racer magazine (Editor is Mike Seate who wrote for a number of magazines over the years) is a US Magazine that has a lot of promise but some technical issues in some areas, but they have featured some nicely done cafe racer Featherbeds including several with HD motors.  I have been meaning to subscribe but have not yet, but its been 6-8 months since I last bought a newsstand copy but they attempted to build their own magazine feature bike (Features of the build over several issuse) and they made some unfortunate coloring and styling choices that went badly and they were retooling.    But I believe they ordered a new frame from the UK and featured one of the UK builders.   I can dig out the issues if anyone wants the details.

I do not wish to diminish the coolness of this bike that started this thread. I like it a lot,, but most of us mere mortals will never find or be able to afford to build something so cool, But HD Sporty and Buells are extremely affordable here in the US and make excellent cafe racer donors.  So.. I am attracted to them for many reasons.  (Love building customs as well as resto)

Here is a picture of the Florida companies Norley platforms and some bikes they built. (LOADS more where that came from)  (I have a LOT of Norton stuff so kinda in my wheelhouse)
But< I admit, to a very great deal of admiration of a very cool London UK based shops race bike in a featherbed,, Its a KR750 based HD race bike in a FB frame and similar type of fairing as my avon aire fairing so while I was leaning towards a typical Silver/black paint job with de rigueur red/black striping for Norton race bike colors, The Orange and Black look stunning on this one,   (I have some really cool Supertrapp stainless race bike waist high exhaust for the project so, it would look great to complement the look)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.12. 2017 08:33 »
Here is a few more, I cant recall if this frame is the UK Version or the Florida Norley version (*I think Norley) But here is a few more and first one shows the bare frame with the EVO sportster mounts.   

But I have a GREAT deal of admiration for some of the Vincent Cafe FB bikes, this one is one of my favorites

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.12. 2017 10:37 »
Is this the same bike?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.12. 2017 14:36 »
Another cool machine
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.12. 2017 15:05 »
Is this the same bike?

Bike in the first post has a Concentric carburettor where your one has a rear exhaust.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.12. 2017 19:13 »
Sadley, japanese,

Japanese? isn’t that a (british) J.A.P engine in a (british) norton frame?

At first I thought it was a Harley engine....but surely no one would that!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 16.12. 2017 01:48 »
Is this the same bike?

Ford Falcon ute
VB stubbie
gotta be aussies

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 16.12. 2017 09:32 »
That brings back memories. I remember the bike, they were "tuning" it when I hung up the leathers (late 90's). Kelly Ashton was a racer as well. Had a few ding dong battles with him around Amaroo.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7