Author Topic: BSA Car,,, V twin power? 1930s cool  (Read 338 times)

Online Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
BSA Car,,, V twin power? 1930s cool
« on: 15.12. 2017 00:19 »
Learn something new every day. In the grainy recesses of my grey matter I knew BSA made some cars, but learned quite  bit today after this posting on the USA Website Barn Finds 

(I post the picture below often for those who take such things too seriously and whinge about patina), 

But despite far too few Motorcycle features some interesting stuff gets posted.  Todays offering was cool.
See: https://barnfinds.com/time-recycle-1931-bsa-family-four-cycle-car/#comment-436696

The sellers advert is now deleted,, but pictures at the above link.  Heres the forum post

By David Frank

This BSA either has one wheel too many or one wheel too few. Cycle cars have been around since the beginning of the automobile. The first car, the Benz Patent-Motorwagen only had 3 wheels.  They were mostly produced as basic transportation from 1910 to 1920 and then again in the 1930s during the Great Depression. They were not quite a car but they were a step up from a motorcycle. BSA is mostly remembered for its motorcycles but they also built cars. From 1929 to 1936 they built cycle cars like this one listed on craigslist. It’s in Fairfield, Connecticut with an asking price of $6,000.

There isn’t much left of the interior. The back seats are squeezed in on either side of the rear wheel.

image: https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/31-BSA-CYCLE-CAR-engine-2-e1513185911244-630x436.jpeg

Here’s the 10 HP Hotchkiss V-Twin 1021 CC engine. It powers the front wheels through a three-speed transmission. It has reverse as well as electric start. The engine is missing pushrods and other parts. This is the same basic V Twin engine you’ve seen mounted on the nose of the Morgan 3, so parts might actually be available.

image: https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/31-BSA-CYCLE-CAR-LR-e1513186037841-630x355.jpeg

The seller has been trying to find a new home for his cycle car for months. Buyers for this thing are likely to be as rare as it is. A number of these cycle cars have been restored by 3 wheel enthusiasts. It’s a little car but restoration won’t be easy, especially trying to find parts. Morgan is still building their M3 cycle car. Even the used examples bring $40,000 to $50,000 but there’s no comparison to this BSA, of course. Are there any cycle car folks among our readers?.
----------------------------------------------------------
One of the helpful members points inquiring minds to the club website:

http://www.bsafwdc.org/

Which seems quite comprehensive with everything you ever wanted to know.   
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: BSA Car,,, V twin power? 1930s cool
« Reply #1 on: 15.12. 2017 08:17 »
G'day sluggo.
When I win Lotto I'd like to add a BSA car to the family. This one will do.
I see you have a 32 Blue Star. So do I.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 15.12. 2017 08:42 »
G'day sluggo.
When I win Lotto I'd like to add a BSA car to the family. This one will do.
I see you have a 32 Blue Star. So do I.
Cheers

Yes, I noticed the BSA Scout on the clubs website at that link above, I felt they were the most attractive and sporting and caught my eye, Although that Club members replica panel delivery van in green was quite attractive to me. 

As to your Blue Star  Arrgggg!   *help*  Interesting yard art, but sad to see.  Mine is still in Scotland. I expect a fair deal much nicer condition although it needs restoration.  I traded a Norton P11 project bike for it and awaiting shipping.

** I forgot to attch the Barnfinds picture I mentioned above,,  ***   Here it is.

I doubt many of those BSA Scout cars are for sale,, But I have a more attractive option perhaps.  My FIL and most of my wifes family are die hard MG owners, they all have at least one,,  So, My FIL has a number of MG cars and talking about thinning the herd a bit.  He has a early 1950s MGTD he is restoring currently, The chassis, Motor and drivetrain completed.  Bodywork & paint is next. I will be painting it for him as I did some of his others.  I am wanting to paint it British Racing green and his wife is expert upholster and seamstress and it would be stunning in a tan/cream leather upholstery..  But I have been vetoed. Stock red it will be.  But he is considering selling it when completed.  I have pictures on my phone of the progress so far.  He is also looking to sell a early 70s MGB that he completed a few years ago. I painted that one as well,, I forget the stock MG color but identical to Triumph Amaranth red, and some early BSAs had similar shade. 

He is very much a perfectionist and very OCD so the struggle is a fair price, but the quality is beyond anything you will ever find.  We could pack one into a 20 foot shipping container, with proper decking we could get 2 in there and fill up extra space with BSA A65s.  Send it off to you on a slow freighter.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 15.12. 2017 09:10 »
Here is some paint pictures from 2012 painting the MGB, After a lot of cutting & rubbing the clear coats she is one pretty car.