Author Topic: If only I could get the circlips back into my forks!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline mahtin

• Active
  • Roaming the planet; one packet at a time.
I seriously need five hands and seven screwdrivers to do this task and it's thwarting me. I've see all the posts about this and I really want to know ... is there a better way to get the circlip back into the forks? Seriously, this is frustrating!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: If only I could get the circlips back into my forks!
« Reply #1 on: 03.07. 2016 20:37 »
G'day mahtin,  *welcome*.
I push one end in and use a tiny pair of locking pliers to hold it in (care not to damage thread), then work the rest in with a small flat blade screwdriver.

We're an inquisitive bunch. Say G'day and tell us a bit over in http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=13.0
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.07. 2016 22:40 »
Also make sure the clips are not long....I bought some that needed about 8mm trimmed off., also don't align the gap in the ring with the gap in the leg, it makes them hard to remove!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.07. 2016 08:56 »
are the clips original, I bought a set from someone (wont say who because memory and law suit stuff) but they were too thick and would never have at in the groove
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.07. 2016 09:49 »
I remember wrestling with my circlips; another one of those A series challenges! I used a couple of screwdrivers to push and hold the clips in place while the next bit was pushed home. It is important to avoid ending up with the gap in line with the gap in the housing because that makes it very hard to get the buggers out again.

I guess a tubular mandrel could be made that would push the clip in in one go.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 04.07. 2016 18:13 »
hi greybeard, i use parrallel punches rather than screwdrivers as they are blunt and the flat ends aid pushing down. its hard to describe but i locate one end of the circlip in the groove and push down along from that end.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.07. 2016 00:12 »
Hi All,

I always trial fit the top bush and circlip before assembling the fork stanchion
That way its much easier to see and measure  if a shim is needed to prevent rattle (clonking *doh*)
Very thin shims will usually work out from under the circlip *problem*
so if needed I skim the bush shoulder so as a decent thickness (say 10 thou) shim will fit

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline mahtin

• Active
  • Roaming the planet; one packet at a time.
« Reply #7 on: 11.07. 2016 01:05 »
Done! Solved! Installed! It takes mere-seconds to install the circlips once you have the right tools, or at least a hacked-up tool.

I used a small needle-nose vice grip and a thin metal strip (to protect the outside threads). I locked them closed with part of the circlip in place. That held down one end the circlip. Then I simply used a medium-sized flat screwdriver to work the circlip into its slot. Less than 60 seconds of work. QED.

I hope this helps others.

I'm glad this is behind me!

Online Tim I

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 30.12. 2017 15:14 »
Just a note to say THANK YOU!  I was at my wit's end trying to get those circlips in.  I did an online search and found your vice grip method.  It worked great!  Instead of a strip of metal to protect the threads on the fork lowers, I put a couple zip ties around the threads, and that also worked.