Author Topic: Oil Leak, Primary Side.  (Read 7535 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil Leak, Primary Side.
« Reply #30 on: 17.05. 2015 14:44 »
Bill,

My level screw is the first behind the 5/16ths screws and the third is the drain. There's a hole in the top of the thread bump for the level screw in the outer cover and a cutaway in the drain bump (there must be a better word than "bump"). There happens to be a picture of my inner primary, here: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=368.msg58817#msg58817 ) Not sure what this might have to do with the shoulders inside those screw recesses.

Richard L.

EDITED

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 17.05. 2015 16:29 »
Not sure what this might have to do with the shoulders inside those screw recesses.

Nothing would be the short answer Richard.
I did have a similar problem with an inner that was wrong for the bike (bike was a 59 - not sure when they changed to the combined level drain plug)
anyway I just popped an O ring over the screw until I got a later type inner
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 17.05. 2015 22:06 »
The fibre washers are available from Burtons, I think. I got some last year.
They are about 3/8" o.d. and .085" thick.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 18.05. 2015 00:00 »

I remembered that I ordered some of the correct fibre washers from DragAnfly a few years ago part# 67-1709, but they sent me wrong ones... *pull hair out*
 Yo Bill I was assuming it was the early Swing arm type, same as Plunger and maybe Longstroke..?

Richard, I went ahead and cut the 'O' ring grooves in level and drain screws (took about two minutes), then remembered why I didn't bother to do it before- is because the drain screw doesn't sit deep enough in the hole so I hand countersunk it, will do it properly and a bit deeper to accommodate an 'O' ring, on a drill press next time the cover is off.
   The level screw well is ok, so should suit so long as the counterbore is smooth enough (mine has not apparently been leaking, but did it anyway and left the fibre washer in there)

Pasted a pic of the inside of the spare (Plunger type) cover- would've been a good one except for a few battle wounds. Funny thing is, it only has a cutaway for the level , not the drain- that must be on the inner....never noticed...?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #34 on: 18.05. 2015 13:29 »
As regards oil levels I have found that the best way is to ignore the level screw and measure out the correct amount of oil as per the workshop manual and pour it in, as if the bike is not perfectly level then you can overfill or underfill. I use the same procedure for the gearbox.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 18.05. 2015 18:57 »
 same as biker put in correct amount as per manual

Offline bsady

• Active
« Reply #36 on: 26.01. 2018 20:41 »
I made a dipstick to set the level. through the filler cap vertical, when the oil was the correct level buy the cover screw I dipped it, marked it and now just fill to the level without the worry of a leak every time I check it.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #37 on: 26.01. 2018 22:00 »
I kick the bike over with my finger touching the underside of the chain through the filler hole. When I get oil on my finger, there's enough in. Best press the mag cutout when doing this.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 27.01. 2018 06:39 »
I kick the bike over with my finger touching the underside of the chain through the filler hole. When I get oil on my finger, there's enough in. Best press the mag cutout when doing this.
How can you tell if the oil is from the oil bath and not from you pouring it over the chain when filling ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 27.01. 2018 09:22 »

I gave up on all that and figured it's easier to shine some sunshine (from my 'sunshine storage box', or reflected from a mirror), or failing that, a artificial light source straght down into the casing so I can see it and add as necessary roughly to the level. Ffs as long as there's some in there that can be seen, it'll do the job- it leaks out anyway so just check it occasionally
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia