Author Topic: RRT2 gearbox lay shaft won't fit  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Re: RRT2 gearbox lay shaft won't fit
« Reply #15 on: 22.01. 2018 05:59 »
Hi John, Gear B is overhanging the spline by .064" but I think we might have a problem with not enough clearance between the two dogs but will find that out latter?
The problem now is second gear on the layshaft, it has a high spot and is jamming, you can make it ride over it but its a bit tight.
Not sure whether to try getting it replaced as they are new gears or just put it together and let it wear it self in?
Will think about that for a bit! *doubt*
 Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 22.01. 2018 17:57 »
HI Peter,
Hmmm??
That's quite a bit less than the .090 I measured ?
Today I was looking at the box of bits again, I would need to press off the gear to retrieve the circlip or go and buy a new one, I have a new layshaft and B gear for the build
The B gear dogs have a recess to accommodate the circlip,
Careful measurement and assembly needed *conf2* *conf2*
Is it the gear sticking on the shaft spline ? I would check for  high spots with engineers blue and use a hone stone to get it sliding freely

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 23.01. 2018 01:27 »
Hmmm??
That's quite a bit less than the .090 I measured ?
Today I was looking at the box of bits again, I would need to press off the gear to retrieve the circlip or go and buy a new one, I have a new layshaft and B gear for the build
The B gear dogs have a recess to accommodate the circlip,
Careful measurement and assembly needed *conf2* *conf2*
Is it the gear sticking on the shaft spline ? I would check for  high spots with engineers blue and use a hone stone to get it sliding freely

Hi John, I think we might have to set the end float of the layshaft assembly by moving gear B on the layshaft and not worry about pushing gear B hard against the circlip, as someone said here, they don’t even use the circlip. I can’t see that it matters much it can’t move as it is a press fit and sits against the end thrust washer and is unlikely to move the other way as any pressure that is put on it is pushing it against the thrust washer. Having said that, I would still leave the circlip in place.

The second gear F is sliding ok on the layshaft, the problem is gear F teeth; they are binding with gear E on the mainshaft in one spot.
The problem is in gear F it is only binding on one or two teeth; you can make it ride over it but not by hand.
We are still pondering on this!
Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it?
 Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 23.01. 2018 09:43 »
I had the same problem with a new"F" gear. It is the same pinion for RRT2 and STD boxes. 67 3198.

As well as sliding on layshaft splines it slides on the teeth of the mainshaft "E" gear. A raised spot will stop it sliding freely with "E" and will cause problems when first gear is engaged , when dogs on "F" slide into the holes on "H".

Those pinions are hard and I doubt it will run in. I certainly did not on my box and the result was a slow and noisey engagement of first.

At the time I was told that there were some rogue "F" pinions in a batch of repro gears, though I don t remember where that info came from.

Changing to a different "F" solved the problem.

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 23.01. 2018 11:01 »
Thanks JulianS for that looks like we might just have to get another one  *problem* *angry*
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 26.01. 2018 22:29 »
 Or use lapping compound. Keep applying and working it until F is free.

It's a slow process, but it works.

Make sure to clean up really well before final assembly.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 27.01. 2018 11:28 »
Thanks Lee, we did consider that but decided to send the old (sorry new) one back hopefully the next one will be better?
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA