Author Topic: Mystery Footrests and Frame ? (Solved)  (Read 614 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Mystery Footrests and Frame ? (Solved)
« on: 17.01. 2018 14:21 »
Googling, Draganflying, Priory Magneto-ing and the rest have turned up total blanks on these footrests.

The right one certainly takes a non-splined support peg, and has a cut ground into the circumference, though it does not perfectly match the non-painted support peg shown- the peg when inserted does not go far enough before it meets the lip inside the smooth footrest bore by some 5mm.... a little turning would make it so. However without a spline system it would be not good, or fit a dowel in the support peg to act against the footrest flat and stop rotation...so I feel the support peg is not the correct one. Part number on the footrest is devilishly hard to read 65(?)-4880 maybe 4810.........

I googled 65-4830 and got one result, eBay ireland for this descriptor but there was no image on the sale "bsa B31 B33 m21a10 a7 footrest 65-4830 / 4880 | eBay"

The left one is splined and fits very well the support peg shown. It's number is pretty legible and is probably 6(?)5-4880/1

Typing various variations of these numbers seems to bring a blank on google.

Expert advice needed. Application will be on a 59 A7SS project
In the pic of the rear SA frame, there are two threaded lugs against the cross piece? What on earth fits into those? It appears the 59 A7/A10 seat simply locates by the nose piece to the frame and then to a mudguard mounted bracket?

Happy New Year from Africa

Last edited by Peter Gee; 2 hours ago.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Mystery Footrests and Frame ? With Photos
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2018 15:51 »
No images!

On my Plunger the footrests are not splined; they have a taper that grips just fine.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17.01. 2018 16:44 »
Dear Greybeard,

Kindly see the modified post, image links provided

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.01. 2018 19:42 »
Hi, I think most s/a frames have the spare stud holes under the seat, I think they are used if a single seat is fitted? (Eg police use)

BSA did not put part numbers on parts, but you may find “casting” numbers on (cast) parts. These numbers are usually one or more digits different to the real part number, which may be why google did not produce results for you.

On the s/a frame both footrests are splined, sometimes the splines slip and wear smooth. For my bike I had to weld up two halves of a splined foot rest bracket to make a good one!

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2018 20:09 »
The footrest on the right of your picture has a cutout that shouldn’t be.
Both shafts should be splined. It looks like someone turned or ground off the splines.
One shaft should be shorter than the other. The longer one goes drive side.

The threaded lugs below the saddle are there to fix the springs from a solo saddle.
The possibility to mount a solo saddle was kept all through the range, even when a duo saddle became the norm. The duo saddle indeed fixes at the nose and on a bracket on the mudguard.

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.01. 2018 20:17 »
I think that you will find that those footrests belong to rigid/plunger B & M models.
The threaded holes in the top of the frame is used for seat supports on the 1960 on bikes and also as an earth point.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 17.01. 2018 20:29 »
"seat supports on the 1960 on bikes"

These being rubber parts that, unless they are glued on, have a tendency to jump ship.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.01. 2018 20:32 »
Hi Peter,
Trevor beat me to it  *ex*
In the pic of the rear SA frame, there are two threaded lugs against the cross piece? What on earth fits into those? It appears the 59 A7/A10 seat simply locates by the nose piece to the frame and then to a mudguard mounted bracket?

Threaded bolts 5/16 x 26 with locknuts /large flat washer and rubber buffers fit in the frame holes to support the dual seat, where your weight sits
Adjust the buffers up against the seat base after fitting.
They are often missing which is why you see BSA's with collapsed banana seats *eek*
The battery earth is often fixed to one of the bolts as well

I have made my own by fitting a penny washer and nut tight against the bolt head and glueing on a rubber doorstop with a relief for the bolt head carved out of the rubber
A second nut and washer locks the bolt to the frame lug *work*
Link to draganfly pics
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a65anda50/category/989-dual-seats

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 18.01. 2018 06:29 »
Dear Chaterlea yes I have seen those 42-6899 brackets for the seat for 1960 onwards but in the draganfly illustration they ,as drawn, are not fitting in those lugs. Where they go I have no idea...

I agree a modified doorstop rubber would be very useful especially as I will be fitting an alloy rear which I wonder has the strength to accept my 200 lbs?

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.01. 2018 12:30 »
Hi Peter,
The linked drawing may not be 100% accurate, My books were out in my workshops when I replied and it was blowing a storm, so I did not venture out to search them
Earlier seats had a metal channel where a block of rubber sat into to add support

To support an alloy or other mudguard I made up a "bridge"  piece
Two vertical flat pieces bolt to the top mount of the rear stay
a shaped arched piece with two levelled out ends fits over the mudguard and takes the seat bolts
similar to the original 42-9196 but stronger and simpler shape
The vertical supports are welded to the arch,
The arch being 3/16ths thick has countersunk holes so the mudguard bolts up to it
This way no weight is placed on the mudguard *bright idea*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Re: Mystery Footrests and Frame ? (Solved)
« Reply #10 on: 18.01. 2018 13:57 »
Folks have solved the footrest issue and probably the frame lug one. Tremendous help as always here!