Author Topic: Gearbox Plate Mouting Puzzle (SOLVED!)  (Read 421 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Gearbox Plate Mouting Puzzle (SOLVED!)
« on: 18.01. 2018 14:28 »
The lower fixture to mount the Gearbox Plates to the A10 SA frame have my photo here. I am referring to the the top "lug" which has a little tube through it

https://images2.imgbox.com/9c/ad/uxeCL9wf_o.jpg

Bolt/Stud 42-4077 (7/16" x 4.25") locates through the fixture, but the rear RH plate 42-4278, which has 3 holes drilled in the lower "arm", does not fit over the top lug of the frame fixture. The little  tube is maybe 1/2 OD and the hole in the plate is 7/16". Ditto the other side.

Surely there must be a spacer that I can't find for the life of me in any parts list, that fits over this tube and is the thickness of it's proud?

Secondly I am presuming 42-4280 front Gearbox/Engine plate fits on the OUTSIDE of the rear  plate 42-4278, as Draganfly illustrations seem to show?

Sorry guys there are going to be lots of ?s on my rebuild as I am literally a thousand miles away at least from any other living BSA A7SS/A10 twin! No comparisons to view.

adm edit: removed img tags to external hosting, added picture as forum upload.
See rules for picture posting > https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2545.0

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Re: Gearbox Plate Mouting Puzzle, "59/A7A10 W/PHOTO
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2018 14:31 »
Another question, since I got a box of bits and this is a giant jigsaw...looking at my pic above there is a flat tongue/tab with two drillings. What goes there? Oil Tank supports? Mudguard fixture?

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2018 17:05 »
The flat tab with the two drillings is for the lower mudguard mounting bracket. The engine plates with the kinks in them go on the left side. The lower plates fit first, against the crankcase halves. You should find this page off my site useful....
https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/frame-parts-inc-engine-and-gearbox-mounting-bolts

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2018 17:47 »
Thanks beezer mac, indeed I just bought a few parts from you after Xmas!............. still the problem remains: The width on the central plate fixing lower  lug, that is  mid frame is less than that of the rear lug top, which has the spigot as seen in my photo.

How then can the plates fit properly since the rear plate central (largest) drilling, cannot fit the spigot through which the footrest mounting stud passes? The spigot is 1/2 or 9/16" and the bolt is 7/16..as is the central lower drilling in the plate?

Sorry to sound thick.

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18.01. 2018 20:16 »
Beezermac Think I have got it. According to your Priory drawing, the front engine plate fits UNDER the rear gearbox plate. That would provide the spacing for clearance of the little spigot tube in the lug.... if so I still don't like it and will have a spacer turned to fit the tube and make sure when the footrest bolt is done up, I dont flex the gearbox plates??