Author Topic: Head  (Read 936 times)

Offline Jasonash

• Moving Up
  • A10 rr, 6t, 16h, a10 sr, wm21, wd16h,areil,
Head
« on: 21.01. 2018 19:09 »
He’s one for you guys I have just noticed that I have just come across a head with no part numbers in the usewell place but but on the side mount and it reads 59b13jj anyone seen this before?
It’s an a10 , engine number is da10r5101.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: Head
« Reply #1 on: 21.01. 2018 22:35 »
Wouldn't be the first head that someone has stamped for whatever reason. On my bikes, most parts have the registration number stamped on them, some in obvious places, some not.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.01. 2018 10:43 »
It is not unusual to see stamped numbers on the head. As far as I can see they dont have a decypherable meaning.

My A10 head shown in photo.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.01. 2018 11:34 »
Jason,

By "usual place," do you mean on the underside of the intake ducts. As far as I can tell, the head is still on your bike and perhaps you missed the numbers. Look here: http://atlanticgreen.com/a10alloyhead.htm

Richard L.

Offline Jasonash

• Moving Up
  • A10 rr, 6t, 16h, a10 sr, wm21, wd16h,areil,
« Reply #4 on: 22.01. 2018 20:22 »
No not mine it is a old friend of mines bike.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09.02. 2018 08:55 »
i just listed a head for sale in the classifieds,, mine has the typical stamping/casting on the underside of the intake (use a mirror to see if on the bike) but mine ALSO has a similar stamping like the one pictured on the bolt boss.  It meant something to the factory, but I dont know how to decode it.
Mine is stamped    10B16M   Its an alpha-numeric code but I am sure its highly classified and above our pay grade.  If you want a close up on mine, I would be happy to post a pic.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 09.02. 2018 13:32 »
One thing I have noticed over the years were the stampings on the bottom of the offside intake tract of the early Road Rocket heads.  If you have a twin carb head and it is stamped "56 RR" then it was on a 1956 production Road Rocket with a bolt up manifold.  If no stamp, it would have been a twin carb kit sold as an accessory item through BSA dealers.  Oh, and I also had at one time, a head stamped "54 RR" on the bottom intake tract.  The one stamped 56 RR is now roaming around the Australian Continent.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 11.02. 2018 04:10 »
Back in the day BSA's were machined by process workers using machines with tools that operate between travel stops.
Thus very few were exactly the correct size.
Mary the machinist put them in a stillage then Suzzie the sizer measured them with a series of go , no-go gauges.
Now if they were going to be used right now they got put into another stillage according to their sizes.
If they were going to sit around the factory for some time they go stamped so when they got assembled they could be matched to parts that would give an acceptiable fit.

Mary also has a pair of go no-go gauges and when the machine started to make parts that were ourside her gauge, she turned off the machine and sent for Maurice the Machine setter to adjust the machine or replace tooling.
When you start soda or vapour blasting suddenly hundreds of funny marks start to show up everywhere.
Bike Beesa
Trevor