Author Topic: Import tax  (Read 316 times)

Offline Jasonash

• Moving Up
  • A10 rr, 6t, 16h, a10 sr, wm21, wd16h,areil,
Import tax
« on: 03.02. 2018 18:17 »
Hi all just thinking of bringing a bike in from demark would I have to import tax anyone know would be grateful

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Import tax
« Reply #1 on: 03.02. 2018 18:22 »

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 04.02. 2018 06:30 »
Denmark is an EU member - just like us for the moment. So no import tax I believe.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 04.02. 2018 08:22 »
As the UK is still in the EU, there is no import duty.
But you do need to go through customs with the paperwork to check if the vehicle isn’t stolen so make sure your paperwork is in order. You’ll need the bike’s danish equivalent of your UK V5 and a declaration of sale between you and the current owner. Customs will then issue a clearance document which allows you to register the bike at DVLA.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Sav

• A's Good Friend
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #4 on: 04.02. 2018 18:13 »
As the UK is still in the EU, there is no import duty.
But you do need to go through customs with the paperwork to check if the vehicle isn’t stolen so make sure your paperwork is in order. You’ll need the bike’s danish equivalent of your UK V5 and a declaration of sale between you and the current owner. Customs will then issue a clearance document which allows you to register the bike at DVLA.

Basically correct in that you should get a customs clearance of VAT liability for the registration, last time I did this I was not asked for it. DVLA may want to inspect the bike and you'll likely need a dating certificate from BSA or VMCC, personally I found VMCC much easier to deal with. It's all easier if the bike is reasonably untouched and unmodified.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. Turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!