Author Topic: Reco startup  (Read 331 times)

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
Reco startup
« on: 03.02. 2018 09:11 »
Hi all.
Yesterday after many months and a new knee I finally got the Super Rocket Cafe started after the head rebuild, rebore and new pistons after my ill fated ride last summer.
Love the forum but I have a tendency to overthink things and with all the sometimes conflicting advise it has taken longer than I thought.
I did spend the time while I was unable to swing a leg a over a cycle to fit an external oil filter thanks again to the wisdom of forum members.
So I pushed the bike up and down the driveway in 2nd with the 'plugs out until I was confident that oil was returning into the tank. I should have hired a student.
OK. Already a little stuffed. Short break.
Then give it a boot- first kick starter-woo hoo and off I go!
Very happy. More pick up than before but after a few kms quite tappy so back to the stable for a cool down.
Since I had the time I took the Triumph for a quick peninsula run and a beer at the brewery.
Back at the stable the BSA was still a bit warm so I hopped on the Matchie to blow the cobwebs off the old girl -destination another brewery-hey Friday is my day off!
So back to the serious stuff and with tappets adjusted tried to start the beast and it was a back to the future moment.
The missus got home and I thought I was about to have a heart attack!
So after work today I had another run, heading to my folks place trying to keep the revs up and down avoiding long traffic light delays and realise oil is spewing over both boots and all places inbetween-oops. It is quite hard to shift up when both boot and shifter are sodden with the slippery stuff - ha ha.
I managed to get home with a few sideways slides and oil spewing from the rocker banjo.
So after a good cleanup and nip up for the offending fittings I am looking forward to what tomorrow brings.
Cheers All.
Hadrian.

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Reco startup
« Reply #1 on: 03.02. 2018 09:32 »
BSA, Triumph, Matchless....any more?
Greybeard (Neil)
1955 Golden Flash, sprung frame
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 03.02. 2018 10:15 »
Sure GB but they're from the far east so I don't make any reference to them on this forum *whistle*

51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.02. 2018 10:24 »

.... and a new knee I finally got the Super Rocket Cafe started after the head rebuild......

Nice one haddo- for a second there I thought you'd rebuilt *your* head as well as your knee..... *eek*

I've had some issues with the banjo washers, tried a few different ones but they all had wrong ID's or fell apart, so a few months ago, I made a couple using some nitrile sheet from Clark Rubber ... took a bit to settle in but now fine (note to self)....I also made a 'clip' to stop the bolts from unscrewing- thinking I took some pics, 'll have a look later
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.02. 2018 10:32 »
I vaguely remember there is a knack to getting the banjos to seal. Isn’t it possible to bottom out one side of the rocker shaft so there is no way you can squeeze the sealing washer under the banjo no matter how tight you do the banjo bolt up? Something like that?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2007 KTM 950 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline hdawson

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 03.02. 2018 11:01 »
Thanks guys.
I remember that the washers I bought I had to modify to fit. Lucky i bought half a doz.
Trying to get a good seal has always been tricky.
I will have to remove the rocker box to re torque the head soon so I will have a good look to see if I can seal from both sides somehow.
As there is no fixed side to the rocker shaft it seems to be a guessing game. *dunno*

51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 03.02. 2018 11:07 »
I've had some issues with the banjo washers, tried a few different ones but they all had wrong ID's or fell apart, so a few months ago, I made a couple using some nitrile sheet from Clark Rubber ... took a bit to settle in but now fine
Dowty washers should do the job just fine,well, that was the answer on my engine.
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.02. 2018 14:04 »

....As there is no fixed side to the rocker shaft it seems to be a guessing game. *dunno*...

The way I figured it was that the shaft should be pulled tight to the timing side with the big acorn nuts, then the fit the banjos.
 Something I've always overlooked is that the oil pumps *into* the banjo bolts from the outside into the shaft; it's just too easy to think it pumps out even though I know it doesn't....

.......I made a couple using some nitrile sheet from Clark Rubber .....

I already had some 1/16" thick so used that hoping it has enough integrity, and when I did it, I punched 1/2" holes in the centre to go over the rocker shaft, and made the outside oversize so if they 'creep' still have half a chance at sealing. I've since considered that I could have punched the centre holes @ 5/16" dia., or a loose-snug fit on the banjo bolts to self-centre them, so long as the washer doesn't obstruct the feed holes.

Dowty washers should do the job just fine,well, that was the answer on my engine.

That could well be worth it if available in that size, but I think not readily in my part of the world, but also keep forgetting to chase them up...

.I also made a 'clip' to stop the bolts from unscrewing- thinking I took some pics, 'll have a look later

Had a look for pics, but seems didn't take any, will do in the morning...

Edit; it's now morning so'll just add pics here
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia