Author Topic: Just Joined an Old Newbie !!  (Read 1467 times)

Offline oldnyk

• Moving Up
Just Joined an Old Newbie !!
« on: 12.02. 2018 23:18 »
 *eek* *smile*Hello to all,just a bit about me to introduce myself on the forum.
I have recently achieved one of my ambitions in life to own an A10.Bit daft I suppose as a bit late in my life at 70 !.I knew I might struggle to kick one over and I can just manage it Phew !!.Don't know how long for though.Oh well it was an Itch I had to scratch.I used to ride the old Brit Bikes in the 60's-70's and never passed a test and got away with it luckily.Naughty but nice riding the Bikes.Last one a Bonny in 1968,Ariel 350,Bantam,C15,scooters and a 650 Tribsa Scrambler.I got the urge for a Bike again at the age of 60 and bought a 1966 Triumph T100ss and thought I had better pass my test this time around.Of course I had to wait until I got over my first Hip replacement and then found a very good motorcycle training place and took some lessons for the DAS course.Did a lot of lessons with a lovely couple who trained me Ken and Jo who was a Lady instructor,they are brilliant and eventually passed my test at 63,got nicknamed Big Ears by Ken cause I had a job keeping the intercom thingy in my ear on lessons !,other nicknames were Tiny who was 25 Stones in weight and rode like the wind !.Rubber Dave who loved the smell of the Tyres  and shorty who was 6 foot 6 inches tall,amongst others !.Ken and Jo have become very good friends of mine and we see each other quite regular.Since passing my test had my other Hip replaced but still hoping to have a fling on the A10.I did since passing my test have numerous Bikes.Had a Fling EH !!
A 1981 Kawasaki ZN 1300 Voyager which I attached a Watsonian Sidecar to.
A Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD.
A 650 Ural.
All gone now sold but enjoyed all of them.I love old classic vehicles and own some classic motors and always messing with them though I am not very good on the tech Boffin stuff but can manage lots of other jobs.Where would we be without the Boffins,I just aint got the Brain power!!.
Feeling my age now though but determined to keep bikin till I drop basically.Thank you all for reading this,hope I aint bored anyone.I will be posting again looking for advice and also hope that I might be able to pass on anything useful I might find in the future onto the Forum.I will also try to upload some pictures of my Bike.In the meantime thank you for listening,regards to all.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Just Joined an Old Newbie !!
« Reply #1 on: 12.02. 2018 23:24 »

hiya nykBigEars- do you have a mate called Noddy?   *welcome*

Where on the globe are you? ( is sometimes helpful for supplies and services)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline oldnyk

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 12.02. 2018 23:27 »
Oh forgot that ,cheers for the reply I am U.K. Midlands.
Cheers.  *beer*

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 12.02. 2018 23:43 »
Welcome to the forum oldnyk, I'm sure you will enjoy it here .    *beer*

ELLIS   

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 13.02. 2018 00:57 »
Thanks for a fine intro post. Welcome aboard.

The A7\10 is not heavy to kick, will\should start 1st kick if carb\ignition is in good shape. On my a10, a little carb tikcling, then a few slow\soft kicks to suck some petrol trough the system, then one real kick and it starts. You will be fine.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13.02. 2018 05:05 »
Greetings Oldnyk

welcome to the forum

where are you in the midlands ?

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 13.02. 2018 06:16 »
G'day oldnyk   *welcome* Do you get Stnyk at Christmas?
What model and year A10?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 13.02. 2018 10:17 »
a little carb tickling, then a few slow\soft kicks to suck some petrol.

Hi, and welcome.

As a10gs quote above. I also avoid kicking with the kickstart at the top, I get it on tdc and then ease the kickstart down a bit and then jump up a bit and simply step down on it. I find it easier with the bike on the main stand. I'm a few years older than you, with the usual aches and pains you get at a certain age, survived cancer twice, still ride my GF, more often with my wife as pillion (seen in my profile picture when 19). It was drilled into me as a marine - never give up!

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 13.02. 2018 11:45 »
Interesting Intro, you've joined the best forum around bar none ,plus once you get your A10 going the years will fade away ,prepare for a big grin from ear to ear , Sue ,my wife says when I put my riding boots on my walk changes to when I was 16 instead of as I am now 68 ,I asked if I could wear 'em to bed but she won't have none of that,   *whistle* spoil sport , cheers for now , Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 13.02. 2018 13:32 »
 *welcome* Oldnyk. I'm 74 and live in Stafford, so not a million miles away.
No artificial anything.

Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 13.02. 2018 14:59 »
Welcome Oldnyk , thanks for the good read
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline tommo903

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 13.02. 2018 18:26 »
Enjoyed your intro post Oldnyk and best of luck with the A10. I’m certain you’ll enjoy it.
Would be good to see a couple of pictures when you get the chance.

Steve

Offline oldnyk

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 13.02. 2018 21:09 »
Thank's for all the replies folk's,much appreciate that from all of you.I am near Cannock Staff's by the way,bet there are a few BSA owners near me ?.Tell you what, i really also appreciate the tips on starting the A10 as I am not familiar with the Bike really yet  *sad2*.I bought it as a good runner from an auction in which there were 2 other A10's for auction,all supposed to be from an old chap selling off his collection.All 3 were immaculate.My friend and me went and fetched the 1960 A10 and we were amazed at the way it looked ( MINT ).will put pics on later.New alloy wheels,twin leading brake thingy on the front and ally head which I think must be an after thought.You experts will know about that !.I love the Bike but unfortunately it won't start  *sad2* *sad2* *sad2*.A mate of mine who had an A10 tried without fail and a mate who is into japanese bikes,still no go.I'm pretty miffed off but me mate who trained me has sought out a couple of brothers who he knew from old who are into BSA's and they are coming round this weekend to try and get the Beauty going for me.Fingers crossed and all that.Got petrol and the odd backfire so I think it's the Mag or a timing issue.But But BUt I aint really got a clue,have to admit as I'm not good at the tech stuff..Bodged my way through with the other stuff lol.Nice to hear from others older than me with the Beesers and especially having no metal bits to help em along,I'm worth a few bob having Titanium Joints,scrap metal value that is  *smile*. I was told that the Bike was rode 20 miles to the auction and started 2nd kick so I am bemused about why it won't run.                                                                              sorry for that gap there,just downed a bottle of Sol,slurp,Whiskey comin up !.                                                                                   Hic. Great these forums,member of a few.Apart from the tech stuff I have in the past actually been able to post help on some other subjects on other forums,gives you a feel good factor.Almost as good as Sol and Whiskey. Might get to meet some of you perhaps one day,we may have met already as I do go to Classic car shows a lot,usually in one of my cars with the Mrs.I have in the past gone to the Bradford Arms meet on the A5 for a ride and pint and chat with the folk's.When I get the A10 running will practice that start technique,cheers to all,regards Graham.

Offline oldnyk

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 13.02. 2018 21:40 »
a little carb tickling, then a few slow\soft kicks to suck some petrol.

Hi, and welcome.

As a10gs quote above. I also avoid kicking with the kickstart at the top, I get it on tdc and then ease the kickstart down a bit and then jump up a bit and simply step down on it. I find it easier with the bike on the main stand. I'm a few years older than you, with the usual aches and pains you get at a certain age, survived cancer twice, still ride my GF, more often with my wife as pillion (seen in my profile picture when 19). It was drilled into me as a marine - never give up!
Know about the not giving up old pal,I did a stint with the SAS 49 years ago now and although sometimes want to,never have-never do !.cheers for the reply.

Offline CotswoldsA7

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 18.02. 2018 11:39 »
Welcome to the forum from another 'old' newbie. I don't but could spend most of the day on here. Always something to learn. Chris.