Author Topic: Primary chaincase leak  (Read 1845 times)

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
Primary chaincase leak
« on: 19.02. 2018 05:12 »
I note that the bolts go right through to the inner case and come out the other side. Do you plug them with silocone to stop the seepage?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Primary chaincase leak
« Reply #1 on: 19.02. 2018 06:41 »
G'day BSAA10.
Don't use anything on the front three that go through into the crankcase. It shouldn't hurt anything on the others. I use Loctite 567 on threads with oil behind them (sump plugs etc).
Are you sure the oil you see behind the primary isn't coming from the felt sliding plate seal, breather or gearbox seal?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.02. 2018 07:31 »
I agree with Musky; use locktite on the threads, otherwise you are likely to have leaks. I use 569 (another option).

Richard

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.02. 2018 08:41 »
I didn't use a felt sliding plate seal.
I used a foam seal from David Flintoff.
You have to put silicon gasket seal on one side and stick it to the primary chain back plate, then put grease on the back of the sliding plate and fit as normal.
Also fill the groove where the two pieces of sliding plate join with silicone to prevent oil seeping through the sliding plate.
At the front of the back primary chain cover, I used blue hylomar on the gaskets and spacer.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 19.02. 2018 20:46 »
Leaking primaries aren't a problem, they're a feature to prevent rust on lower frame rails and swingarm!

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 19.02. 2018 22:01 »
Leaking primaries aren't a problem, they're a feature to prevent rust on lower frame rails and swingarm!
and lubricate the floor *conf*

1960 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 20.02. 2018 07:46 »
Mark THEIR spot.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline stev60

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 26.02. 2018 06:59 »
From a newbie and engineering   aspect , I dislike loctite and sealants,  I  refaced the cover and just used grease on the gasket, using atf   , no leaks,  have just taken the head off for check, exhaust valves were badly in need of a tidy, guides were good, but also found crack running from spark plug  to across one exhaust valve, looks an old crack.  have to look hard to see it,  has anyone experienced this, the gap  in this area is small and could be a weak point, motor runs perfectly and compressions are equal, what a joy putting the rocker box back on *eek*
Steve

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.02. 2018 07:31 »

stev- you may need to chase up a more relevant thread for the head bit, but having said that, and at risk of going off topic, if you guys are concerned about primary leaks, I've had a incessant leak from the clutch housing of my Gutzzi since I rebuilt it 20+ years ago...to get at it I need to pull the swing-arm out and split the frame and lift it off- then split the tranny from the engine and remove the clutch...first time I got to there in 1,1/2 hrs, today 4 hrs...lucky no working today....end of story
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 17.05. 2018 15:35 »
Weeping oil from clutch house on a Guzzi is often crank seal, but the clutch push rod have two seals to stop gear oil from intering in the midle of the cluch. When they fail gear oil will wreck the clutch plates….

A bit of a job to correct. (just been there)

Back on subject:  You need no special sealer on the primary bolts. The cover gasket take care of keeping it oil tight.
Sometimes oil around the bolt heads can creep out, but that can be taken care of with small soft washers.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.05. 2018 17:04 »

stev- you may need to chase up a more relevant thread for the head bit, but having said that, and at risk of going off topic, if you guys are concerned about primary leaks, I've had a incessant leak from the clutch housing of my Gutzzi since I rebuilt it 20+ years ago...to get at it I need to pull the swing-arm out and split the frame and lift it off- then split the tranny from the engine and remove the clutch...first time I got to there in 1,1/2 hrs, today 4 hrs...lucky no working today....end of story

Still off topic - I did a little over 1300 miles on Blue (my T3) on a Scottish tour over the May bank holiday weekend. The bike has always had a drip or two from the bell housing but each stop there was more of an ink blot look to it. And it's g/box oil. Clutch stayed dry thankfully, but I have the bike marked for work this coming winter. I'll get the box checked over, shift drum shimmed and return spring replaced, new clutch and lightened flywheel, dogs welded and machined if required. Might even treat myself to some 950 pots for a little more mid-range. Not of a mind to pull her down now that summer is here.   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.05. 2018 10:36 »

.....and at risk of going off topic, if you guys are concerned about primary leaks, I've had a incessant leak from the clutch housing of my Gutzzi since I rebuilt it 20+ years ago...to get at it I need to pull the swing-arm out and split the frame and lift it off- then split the tranny from the engine and remove the clutch...first time I got to there in 1,1/2 hrs, today 4 hrs...lucky no working today....end of story

ok- I thought that'd be the end of it, but this should put it to bed...'end of story' went to shit....but was lucky I did the exercise.
  I discovered the fancy new stainless steel oil pick-up strainer I made had split (must've been too fine and couldn't cope with how hard the pump sucks *eek*), the pick-up system is much like our beloved BSA's- no factory filter, just the pickup strainer, but oddly enough the later models run the same filters as the 'Noturn- spin on style'

but not related to my oil leak.... which turned out to be a simple main-bearing flange gasket not sealing, so replaced that (twice), and used Red Loctite 596 and not a drop since... apparently some later models have the same issue, my local Gutzzi dude (whose Dad was initially a BSA dealer sometime through the '60's) had a Bellagio with same issue at same time, and he said the six blind holes aren't deep enough for the 25mm bolts, so they bottom out before pulling tight (mine are only just clear)...all good now and back to the topic-whatever it was... *conf2*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia