Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 1394 times)

Offline TRIPLET

• Moving Up
oil leak
« on: 01.07. 2009 15:30 »
      i have an oil leak on my A10 RGS rep which i am certain is coming from the gearbox at the drive end.it leaks when the bike is on the side stand but not when on the centre stand,i have had a close look and it does not seem to be coming from the oil seal so am i correct in thinking it is coming from the sleeve gear bush and are these obtainable?

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 01.07. 2009 17:35 »
Very hard to know where the oil really comes from as not a lot of space to see and a choice of orifices and sources. If the sleeve gear is worn, the chances are so is the mainshaft, which means that a new standard bush or pair of them rather - which is what I think is normally available (Draganfly?) - may not solve the problem on its own. Certainly when I had problems it was necessary to rectify the mainshaft and make a bush (I did mine in one bit) to fit. Re the leak, you could also check that the grub screw - small allen job - that holds I can't remember what (selector rod isn't it?) into the lh side of the casing is present and correct, as its absence would cause a leak. Frankly, if you have to pull the whole thing to bits to sort the sleeve gear (and quite a few bits, clutch etc, just to prove if it even is the culprit), you might as well get an oil seal, bearings and the rest of it, as it's a not-to-be-done-too-often kind of PITA job.
On the other hand, if it's only a little leak, and the thing doesn't self-drain in a big way on the road or on the centre stand . . . I'd probably put it in the non-urgent category and enjoy the decent weather!
Bill

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 02.07. 2009 03:23 »
Another possibility is its common for those seals to leak on the face of the seal rather than where it goes over the sprocket. Whenever I fit them I always put some sealer (I use Loctite) on the face of the seal. I think over time the circlip wears and also the groove it goes in and probably doesnt put the correct pressure on the face of the seal.

Offline TRIPLET

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 02.07. 2009 12:11 »
     thanks for the help guys,as it is not a major leak i am going to leave it until the winter before i do it,i also have a new forward kickstart quadrant so as to bring the kickstart lever to around one o clock which is correct for the rearsets so might as well do everything in one "hit".

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 02.07. 2009 15:45 »
that's what I'd do. If it works fine otherwise without any nasty noises (in neutral especially, if the sleeve is suspect), I bet it'll see the good weather out. Best just check the oil now and then. The box on one of my BSAs leaks a little on the right, from worn shaft bushes, but a little looks a lot on the floor, and I don't have to add much, or often. Job's 'on the list' but more interesting things keep intervening.
Now, if BSAs didn't use agricultural cotter-pin fixings where other people favoured splines, we wouldn't have to change the k'start guts just to have rear-sets .  .  The joy of it all. Though you could get/make a folding lever? I have one bike, not a BSA, with very rear-set pegs and a splined non-folder at one o'clock same as you're thinking of . . . it's OK, but can still touch the shin on the road. A folding lever would certainly be better. Again, I'll get round to it - in that case when I can afford to replace the splined shaft and a few other worn oily bits inside at the same time.
Bill

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.07. 2009 19:55 »
Hi All,
Another source of gearbox seal leaks is if the sprocket nut is a tad loose????? its surprising how many are *eek* *eek*
the oil leaks between the bearing and sprocket then along the splines and out around the nut
It may be possible to poke at the sprocket nut with a screwdriver to see if its loose or see if there is any play when levering the sprocket with the chain off!!!
Just my ?0.02 worth
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.07. 2009 20:06 »

Another source of gearbox seal leaks is if the sprocket nut is a tad loose????? its surprising how many are *eek* *eek*
the oil leaks between the bearing and sprocket then along the splines and out around the nut

Thats a good point.I do mine up with the gearbox out with a bit of old chain gripped in the vice round the sprocket. I use a socket spanner with a 2 foot lever and heave.Not looking forward to undoing it.
Mike

Offline TRIPLET

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 03.07. 2009 12:43 »
    good point about the gearbox sprocket nut being loose,will check it out this afternoon as best as i can.i seem to remember that no one ever had a spanner/box key for these so they were mostly lumped up with a hammer and chisel/screwdriver(i have done this myself!) making it virtually impossible to get a correct feel of how tight it is.