Author Topic: IOM 2019 TT or Manx event ?  (Read 377 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
IOM 2019 TT or Manx event ?
« on: 20.02. 2018 08:35 »
Its many decades since I made it to the IOM and am thinking a 2019 pilgrimage may be in order. I initially thought well the TT is the obvious choice, but then did wonder if perhaps the manx might be another option.
Whats the consensus if any between the two events from the forum. Obviously the weather probably much better for the manx.
Lots of thinking to be done about logistics.
 *wink2*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: IOM 2019 TT or Manx event ?
« Reply #1 on: 20.02. 2018 08:46 »
Neither I nor my pals have ever been, but think perhaps we should at least try before we die. I'm figuring the Manx for us. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2018 09:10 »
Rocket Racer I am guessing as you are a slidey racer you would like to watch them ? So if you went to the Manx they do not run sidecars, only at the TT which has now got really expensive , Hotels ? alternative accommodation and especially Ferry from mainland England usually needs to be booked at least 12mths in advance, where for the Manx or Classic TT as it is now called if you book now you stand a good chance getting ferry and accommodation.
Classic TT is now not what it was compared to even 5 years ago, lots of parade laps etc then after the weekend when the TT racers on replica lookalikes go home the real classic bikes run their races as the Manx.
TT is now mad and just a money making racket for the Manx government with lots of Corporate crap going on With groups of people who see it as a box to tick who have no interest in racing and just go for the beer and spoil it for others.
So if you want the Best meeting of all the 3 .....yes 3, you should try the Southern 100 its run in June /july Time and practices are afternoon and races run on evening , Road Circuit Great for spectating and plenty of time during the week for sight seeing etc also as the circuit is only about 3 miles long you see more racing than in the TT or Classic Manx
Hope this helps you decide. Dave
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 20.02. 2018 19:35 »
Rocket Racer I am guessing as you are a slidey racer you would like to watch them ? So if you went to the Manx they do not run sidecars, only at the TT which has now got really expensive , Hotels ? alternative accommodation and especially Ferry from mainland England usually needs to be booked at least 12mths in advance, where for the Manx or Classic TT as it is now called if you book now you stand a good chance getting ferry and accommodation.
Classic TT is now not what it was compared to even 5 years ago, lots of parade laps etc then after the weekend when the TT racers on replica lookalikes go home the real classic bikes run their races as the Manx.
TT is now mad and just a money making racket for the Manx government with lots of Corporate crap going on With groups of people who see it as a box to tick who have no interest in racing and just go for the beer and spoil it for others.
So if you want the Best meeting of all the 3 .....yes 3, you should try the Southern 100 its run in June /july Time and practices are afternoon and races run on evening , Road Circuit Great for spectating and plenty of time during the week for sight seeing etc also as the circuit is only about 3 miles long you see more racing than in the TT or Classic Manx
Hope this helps you decide. Dave
Interesting Dave!
Hadnt thought of the southern 100, do they run sidecars there?
I went to the TT in 89 and watched the norton rotary win, then returned in 91 on my OE. Got to see the late great Joey Dunlop in action and many others. So no doubt a lot has changed. And to make the visit worthwhile will want to make it 3-4 weeks so thinking peripheral tour. It would be nice to make it a bike trip but may not be practical.
Do love watching the chairs. There are other options, could even consider bringing my race outfit to the UK and trailering it around a race season if I could find the money and do as many UK classic meetings as possible. Or just bring over one of the beesa's or buy a bike in UK. So many thoughts, but the TT is currently at the top of them.
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 20.02. 2018 19:55 »
https://www.southern100.com/      Yes Tim,  they do run sidecars and solos with most of top TT stars , some videos on website in link  *smiley4*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 21.02. 2018 04:21 »
G'day Tim.
If I could ever do another 23 hours in a plane I'd go to the Classic TT. Catch the Ulster first then Killalane after.
2018 Irish Road Race Dates
 April 27-28 – Cookstown 100,  May 4-5 – Tandragee 100, May 15-19 – North West 200, June 23-24 – Kells,  June 29-30 – Enniskillen,  July 7-8 – Skerries 100,  July 14-15 – Walderstown,  July 21-22 – Faugheen, July 27-28 – Armoy,  August 7-11 – Ulster Grand Prix, September 8-9 – Killalane.
Isle of Man TT 2019 - 25th May - 7th June. 2019 Classic TT 18-31 August.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Sav

• A's Best Friend
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #6 on: 21.02. 2018 08:54 »
Personally I do the Festival of Motorcycling (AKA Classic TT and Manx GP).

I don't do the main TT for the reasons stated earlier and I like to ride my BSA around the island without too many petrol heads coming past me at some 100mph faster than I am travelling (butt clenching and takes some believing but it happens).

The  Manx GP fortnight has changed out of all recognition in the past five years with the addition of the Classic TT festivities. The first weekend is becoming more and more commercial like the main TT. All the big racers are there now and riding superb sounding bikes like the patons (and the occasional BSA triple)

If you do decide to go then you'll need to book crossings instantly when they first appear some six months earlier or you'll be on a wee small hours crossing (if you're lucky!).

Same applies for accommodation.

So much to do when you get there, Jurby, Murray's, several museums, Peel (and the Creek), Manx steam and electric railways, Groudle Glen steam railway, etc etc etc.

Rides are amazing with so much contrast between the main roads and the single tack stuff up in the hills. The North and South of the island are complete opposites.

I camp at Ballaugh at it's the only site I've found that allocates pitches and you'll see one of my BSA's where I marshall at Laurel Bank 2 in sector 4.

It's not cheap by any means but if its a box you want to tick then cost is neither here nor there.

Go for it!! I only went to tick the box first time!
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. Turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 21.02. 2018 10:00 »
I never was at the TT but three times at the Manx GP.
There are so many events at this time Jourby, the Ramsey Sprint, Manx Trials and others you can watch or be part with if you had a bike.
I guess the TT is to much hustle and bustle  the crowd is bigger and no relaxing possible.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 21.02. 2018 10:39 »
Morning TT , as per the prev comments I didn't find the price of camping of putting it was the ferry .I'only live 10 miles from the liverpool terminal but the IOM steam packet /govt don't release dates till a specific day and then they disappear instantly .I've got a new Camper linned up to rent but really annoyed me 2 yrs ago and haven't looked since ,which really is stupid as I have always wanted to see it  *problem*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #9 on: 21.02. 2018 16:15 »
Your not wrong there Topdad, you can get a ferry to Ireland cheaper and I dare say to France as well maybe ...... Then theres always the old excuse that they are having a problem with engine so its going on slow speed , had that one for last 3 years.
Whats Ballaugh site like , had a look last year and thought it looked good, we have stayed at Silly Moos Ramsey last 4 years which is ok but not like Ballaugh.
As for ferry I have taken a large van before with 3 mates and bike in back  , that's van and driver and others as foot passengers then all split cost , works out cheaper  *smiley4*
Now me and mrs take bike in back of camper and then sleep in back, had enough of tent poles breaking in horrendous gales at 3 in the morning.
That's another problem at TT time weather last few years seems a washout  and tents getting swamped and riders struggling for practice time during the first week.  *sad2*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online Sav

• A's Best Friend
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #10 on: 22.02. 2018 08:22 »
Ballaugh site is very good with full permanently built facilities. Site is marked out in pitches so you are not tripping over next doors guy ropes as with other sites.

Good club room with free tea and coffee on the go. Ballaugh Bridge is 200yds down the road as one of the evocative viewing points. Raven Pub is there which is reasonable, Sulby Hotel, a couple of miles up the road is better. Bus service runs past the Raven if you don't want to drive in the evening.

Bogs / showers are free and there are two blocks for each gender. That's not a bad provision but busy over the Classic weekend.

The site quietens down for the Manx GP which is not so well supported.

Marshalls get 10% discount.

Only downside is that it's on the inside of the course which limits access, though there is a crossing point at Ballaugh. You can get out over the top via Brandywell but that's not a road for a big vehicle.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. Turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!