Author Topic: 1947 BSA A7 rigid center stand  (Read 1678 times)

Offline cardoso1

• Active
  • 1947 BSA A7
1947 BSA A7 rigid center stand
« on: 25.02. 2018 20:20 »
Hi,

may i have a confirmation if my interpretation of the schema is correct, and could someone reply some doubts logged on the image?

I'm not sure, from what i´m reading, if, to drop the stand down, i need to use the lever, or also on the lifting movement as well. There are some parts from the list which i´m not sure what they are for.

If someone has clear images, or even maybe videos of the stand/parts, would be lovely, or even a description of the standing process, as this is the final issue which is preventing one beautiful piece of motorbike of coming back to road life.

Thank you,

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1947 BSA A7 rigid center stand
« Reply #1 on: 26.02. 2018 07:20 »
 I saw this this morning, and as no-one has responded, I'll throw in my bit which is of no help as I know nothing about them except that as you may well know these are *potentially* a lethal idea... don't wish to freak you out or tell what you already know, but just hope you have a backup plan for what to sow in the furrows or furloughs  that you may gouge- I hear hemp-seed and/or flax-seed is taking off in the new world order  *conf*

or at least a zip-tie, or bungy cord for back-up*wink2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.02. 2018 08:13 »
I read that only a handful of bikes had this stand; it was their Edsel moment. After 200 or so were produced they abandoned the idea and went conventional.
So, looks interesting in the exploded diagram, but you probably have more chance of hooking up with Marilyn Monroe, than finding parts.

Richard

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.02. 2018 08:50 »

hola cordo,so don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging you for wanting to have a fully functional original item, I wish you well with that but just pointing out their apparent pitfalls as I suggested*conf*... >:D. Others who know more may hopefully elaborate better
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.02. 2018 13:41 »
 First time I have ever looked that close at this.

It looks like the mechanism for a switch blade knife, so spring pressure is going to be very important to make it work correctly - every time.

Its a cool and novel idea, but its not hard to see why it was abandoned. *eek*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline cardoso1

• Active
  • 1947 BSA A7
« Reply #5 on: 28.02. 2018 23:40 »
Hi, got some precious photos, shame that i cannot post the video (whoever wants to see it, pm). Basically, it is not as i previously thought, the stand comes up pulled by the spring, but first you have to disengage the lever from a clip-plate, which is located in the chain-guard (it´s in the parts list 66-7771), see photos attached. That clip i assume is "just" for secure the lever from accidentally release the stand, vibration, "security" measure. That pic with the part listed is actually my bike before restoration.

Once the stand reaches the ground, give the bike a small lift to give an extra notch on the stand to make it stable. The same applies when you want to pull the stand up, before you pull the handle.

The red bike below didn't have the original plate to fix the lever, but the idea is the same.

To pull the stand up, at the same time that you pull the handle out of the clip, it disengages the ratchet from the stand, and the spring does the job for you, and you put the handle back on the clip, engaging the ratchet again.

To pull down, i assume is by foot (as the spring is pulling the stand up, the other way around as i thought), engaging/diseng. the handle back and forward, haven´t tried myself yet.

Will of course put some leather belt or so attaching the stand to the bike. *smiley4*

Cannot thank you enough to:

Brett Reilly at Mike's Classic Cycle Spares in Australia
Barry Porter in US

If anyone has photos, videos of this bike, i´m a candidate for pm.
Thank you so much, will post again when this is in place.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #6 on: 02.03. 2018 21:48 »
    duh,  No brainer , if that came down during a ride, be like POGO sticking around.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 19.09. 2018 02:55 »
and it has a nasty habbit of coming off the stand (Stand goes back up into frame) When someone walks over and leans or fiddles with bike.
We have ours with a very fancy lump of timber between frame and stand to make sure it does not accidently go down/in...

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.09. 2018 15:13 »
and it has a nasty habbit of coming off the stand (Stand goes back up into frame) When someone walks over and leans or fiddles with bike.
We have ours with a very fancy lump of timber between frame and stand to make sure it does not accidently go down/in...
I can see that timber in the pics. Does it have a BSA Part number?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline JHN 791

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 13.03. 2021 14:06 »
Hi, I don't know how long this thread has been on here. How is going with getting a telescopic stand? I'm still in early stages of  restoring my 1947 A7. A work colleague made me a stand some years ago. Couldn't reproduce the ratchet mechanism, which I don't want anyway. There's a slot in the tube to accept a cylindrical clamp & will fit a hex bolt secured with a lock nut. I'll  only use the stand for looking the part and maintenance, secure it retracted with zip tie or similar. There won't be a spring so have to retract manually. I think there's enough room between the top & bottom of the drive chain to operate hex bolt ,& nut with a socket wrench & open spanner. Stand is in situ on the frame, hope to post photos soon. I'm not sure how to make photos small enough kB wise to post here

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.03. 2021 09:45 »
My reaction to the previous post is to purse my lips and take a sharp intake of breath!  *eek*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 14.03. 2021 19:34 »
 No GB. Just casting for Death Wish 7 starring the BSA Design and Marketing Committee, 1946. Quote "It seemed a good idea at the time".

Fine for a static display, but at the time proved that the design had safety and operational flaws. Pictures above show an over engineered approach where a simple forged or fabricated stand would do, as was the later solution.

Swarfy